Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Why am I coughing?

Discussion in 'Vape Talk' started by FuryHUH, Oct 7, 2015.

1. FuryHUH

FuryHUH New Member

G'day!'

Well I haven't posted on AV for some time now but I'm pleased to say that I've been cigarette free for over a year now (yay!) and have been vaping for about the same time.

I am still enjoying vaping and have no plans of stopping except I have this cough and wheeziness that lasts less than an hour after stoking it up. I have tried various ratios of PG/VG but still seem to suffer.

I just wondered if there's anyone else on here that has experienced this?

Thanks in advance and best regards, Mark

2. ZveroBoY1

ZveroBoY1 New Member

how humid/wet is it in your area, any history of asthma ?

Edit: if its only happening when you 1st start vaping in the morning its irritation of your lungs, other external factors like humid/wet weather.
    Home and work place conditions can all play a major factor in coughing dust particles and the like.

3. AgeleGor

AgeleGor New Member

Likely not vaping related unless you are chugging down 200ml a day at 100W.

I used to hock up all kinds of stuff when I was smoking, not so now I am vaping.

4. maahak2004

maahak2004 New Member

I wud question wether you have something asthma related. .. you've been vaping a while now so you must of narrowed it down to maybe morning..arvo..ratios etc...or as cmb said...200ml a day..lol...that wud drown the best of us...try drinking water prior to vaping...lube the throat a bit, if yr still barking like a dog..well...sorta got yr answer

5. Samuel H

Samuel H New Member

Go get your lungs checked..

6. AmandaKane

AmandaKane New Member

could be your flavors, A friend gave me a go at his coffee flavored juice. and it tried out my throat and i couldn't even take a proper vape with it. and yes i was coughing a lot after vaping it. I've used from 100% PG to 100%vg with no coughing. I've also found that the warmer the vape the more coughing i get so i like cool vapes. also some flavors have food flavor/additives that can damage your lungs (they are talked about in other threads already on these forums)

7. Happymonkey

Happymonkey New Member

I haven't smoked for over a year and I have no problem with coughing but I do still get phlegm in my throat.
    Not as bad as it was when I was smoking but it's still there and you'll often hear me clearing my throat.

Personally, I think it's the nicotine.
    Maybe a kind of defence mechanism going on with the throat hit from the nicotine.
    I'm vaping 20mg. Maybe if I reduce it over time the phlegm will also reduce.

8. E.N A

E.N A New Member

Why do heavy smokers cough when they try vaping?

9. karmelyn

karmelyn New Member

Device:
    hp 17 touchscreen laptop
    Juice:
    don't have one yet
    Well first off, have you talked with your doctor???
    Be careful everyones body reacts differently, and some people retain fluid in the lungs. Go get checked out to be sure and safe and hope you feel better! Safe vaping!!!

10. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Member

Device:
    PC
    Juice:
    n/a
    Well, could be the nicotine having an effect on your breathing, could be compounds in the vape. It sounds like you need to play around with different juices, or perhaps just learn to deal with it if the irritation is only mild. Cigarette smoke is much worse, so be grateful you don't have to deal with that.

11. SapnaTheBaller3

SapnaTheBaller3 Member

Device:
    ELeaf
    Juice:
    O.C
    Have a quick check up no harm in that.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Device:
    JAC vapour
    Juice:
    Real Tobacco
    Is also recommend going to see your doctor and just having a check up because the coughing as lasted so long. When I first quit and changed to vaping I did cough a bit more than usual and I just assumed it was my body and lungs getting used to the new habit.

13. missvape

missvape Active Member

Device:
    Pen Type
    Juice:
    Milk Man
    Well, since you've been vaping for over a year now, and I'm assuming you're indeed smoking-free, it cannot be that your body is just removing the toxins from smoking. Have you tried setting an appointment with your doctor? You have already tried various PG/VG ratios and that doesn't seem to help. Maybe a diagnosis by a doctor can be obtained if your condition is indeed asthma or any other else. Good luck and keep us posted on what your doctor might say!

pwarbi likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Device:
    JAC vapour
    Juice:
    Real Tobacco
    That was pretty much my reaction to be honest and like you say, your body does take time for your lungs to get rid of the toxins and the main way it does that is by cough.

That's why when smokers first stop they tend to cough more, but in this case after so long that won't be the case.

missvape likes this.
  15. Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands Member

Device:
    e-cig
    Juice:
    Strawberry
    I think a lot of people cough after vaping, because it still isn't something that is supposed to be taken into your lungs. If you find that you're struggling, you may find that the strength is too high for you, and you might benefit from just trying something that is a little bit lighter on you. Also, different people might be sensitive to various flavours, so it might be as simple as just changing the flavour that you're using - it might be better once you change.

missvape likes this.
  16. artyarson

artyarson Member

Device:
    e-cigarette
    Juice:
    cherry
    Maybe it's a mysterious case of bronchitis. My friend got it somehow, though he was never severely sick.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Device:
    JAC vapour
    Juice:
    Real Tobacco
    I'm not sure it's wise to start saying it could be this or it could be that, unless your a fully qualified doctor, and even then, just by saying they have a cough will be pretty hard to diagnose online.

18. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Device:
    Laptop
    Juice:
    Apple
    Well congrats to you on being cigarette free for over one year, that is a big win. I would like to say that it is just another cough and not to have to look into it more than that, but then again I guess you can never be too safe. I am also pretty bad at going to the doctor so you would probably not want to take medical advice from me anyways. I still get random coughing spurts when I vape.

19. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Device:
    JAC vapour
    Juice:
    Real Tobacco
    Have you worked out any patterm to why you cough when you vape, or do you think like I do and its just your body and lungs getting used to another substance going in there?

Anything you inhale is going to affect the throat and lungs in some way I reckon, and just because people cough, doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem anywhere.

20. mauricioq

mauricioq New Member

Device:
    Pen Style
    Juice:
    Apple
    As many people already said, you should probably check in with a doctor just to make sure everything's fine. If you are fine, maybe you need more habit smoking it, try to inhale less too, and go gradually smoking more.