Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Vtr into a DNA30?

Discussion in 'Vape Mod Talk' started by Beckie, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Beckie

Beckie New Member

Hey so I am gonna try and convert a VTR into a DNA30, has anyone heard f this being done? I have done a few searches but alas my Google fu is weak.

I plan on trying to embark on it this weekend, basically my idea is to just swap the chips, while using the existing display board as my screen cradle.

I don't think it should be that hard, but I figure if someone has already done it, that takes a lot of the guess work out of it. :) btw if it's successful I'll make sure I take pictures and how I did it in case anyone else is interested in trying the same deal. Love the way the vtr is, but I'm gonna chop of the ring, and add the DNA board. Should be fun, and mildly frustrating. :)

2. BlooleNah

BlooleNah New Member

I haven't but I'd definitely be interested in seeing your process and progress although I don't think I could sacrifice my VTR to do likewise; I like it too much. :)

However, if I manage to pick up a spare at some point, that might be an option! I have a DNA30 chip in hand but I'm still debating the enclosure for it ...

I hope your project goes well! :)

3. jenni

jenni New Member

I just picked up 2 enclosures at a local hobby store. A bunch of nitwits they were but the selection of stuff is really good. :)

4. ddos

ddos New Member

I don't know if anyone done it, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try. I always wanted to mod my VTR, but am too hesitant to do so.

5. Noni J

Noni J New Member

I think it would be cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

6. Fishive

Fishive New Member

I'll be ripping it apart tomorrow after work. :) as far as the schematics go, it shouldn't be a problem. They all line up within reason. However practicality is a different story. Lol.

7. wwmcbwh8e

wwmcbwh8e New Member

Should post pics and project results here too, It will be fun & interesting to watch:):)

8. beveasjnry4713

beveasjnry4713 New Member

I will do that! :) should be lots of fun ripping it apart.... Putting it back together, that may be another story. Hahahah!

9. RRenee

RRenee New Member

Ok so I haven't actually started the internals yet, but I have started with the finish. I hate the finger prints on the chrome version, and you know how people tear up the carpet just to see what's underneath it? Well....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. kumarbstt

kumarbstt New Member

looks like copper plating under the chrome,as it should be

11. xhero.3x

xhero.3x New Member

A steampunk Look, AhhhhhhhhhEEEEE:):):)

12. Domara

Domara New Member

Well right, but I went with a distressed look is all. I knew there was copper plating, just didn't know how the finish would turn out. I think it turned it great! Gotta do one more fine sand then I'll hit it with a buffing wheel to remove the heavy scratches. :)

Whiskey you approve so far? Lol!

13. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

Dude that is way cool!

Sent from my iPhone using pixie dust!

14. nagexia

nagexia New Member

my point being,i have had some gear that was chromed right over the brass,with no copper plating

15. Ally

Ally New Member

[ QUOTE=exodus;444132]my point being,i have had some gear that was chromed right over the brass,with no copper plating[/QUOTE]
    Oh really? How do they get the chrome to adhere to the copper? By all the things I read, it shouldn't be possible. I'm not a chemist so I can't say it's a statement of fact, just what I have read.

16. garn222

garn222 New Member

ahm seems to me you have something in your hand that is chromed over copper

17. tom b

tom b New Member

I meant brass lol.

18. Bubblebuttmmm

Bubblebuttmmm New Member

Thanks :) we will see how cool it is with a DNA chip in it later lol! And I'll be doing the same to an AGA t2 because, it just wouldn't be right with out a steampunk atty hahahaha!

19. WORRIED

WORRIED New Member

Well I pulled the vtr apart:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Originally I wanted to just use the pot and the thumb wheel, but I thin it will be much easier to just drill out the casing for some buttons and wire it up the regular way. :) so since I somehow managed to forget the most important part of the project (soldering iron) at work, it will have to wait until tomorrow. Means I get to make a trip to radio shack and DNA some buttons and wire, :)

20. woodhzgu

woodhzgu New Member

can't wait to see how this turns out. Subscribed to this thread.