Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Variable Power Mod

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Peanut Butter Addicted, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Anahnairm

Anahnairm New Member

PM Sent @ vapidkitty

2. fredmengoni

fredmengoni New Member

Of course you're a little fuzzy. Your a kitty after all. :lol:

3. QuitBoum

QuitBoum New Member

:golf clap: For the Dad joke.

Also bolded for ACB, trying to bring his medication bill down.

4. ashli1394

ashli1394 New Member

Maybe something I'll use in the future on my VP mods. It's a 0.96" 128x64 pixel OLED display. Top quarter is yellow and I'll probably use that for battery level indicator. The remainder is blue. Draws ~8mA when fully lit so will use less power than the LED I'm using now.

[​IMG]

5. f1r1rere

f1r1rere New Member

Ahhhhh nice!

If you decide to make a mod using that screen sign me up!

Top line for battery and how mad if you could customize the other lines? Brand them for your fav retailer, or saying ;)

6. wooliste

wooliste New Member

Sign me up for one of those!

Battery, power setting, resistance and vapes since last charge :)

7. Maki Maki

Maki Maki New Member

Less money on meds = more money for juice. Thanks :)

8. Shichibukai

Shichibukai New Member

Just a head's up on where the JIB VPPV mod is heading. I had already optimised the design and reduced the size of the V2 PCB from 60x18mm to 35x18mm when I started to look at the OLED display (see a few posts back).

I was contemplating putting the OLED on a separate PCB and running a cable between them but decided to make the new PCB dual purpose by extending it to 35x29mm and putting the display on the backside (display outline is in white on right hand of pic).

So that the PCB can still be used in the 35x18mm format without display, the bottom section can be snapped off along the row of perforation holes.

I've taken a bit of a punt and ordered a batch of these machine loaded with all surface mount components apart from the display.

[​IMG]

9. Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali New Member

looks the nuts john.

10. whsnzpz9c

whsnzpz9c New Member

Any chance of a retro-fit to the older JIB mods with the OLED display?

11. Polsilver

Polsilver New Member

Unfortunately with the extra thickness of the display I can't retrofit al mods with 18650's. At this point I'm thinking the OLED version will suit an al mod with 2x1300mA LiPo cells the same size as the one I have listed for sale or a longer version with 2x2200mAh LiPos.

12. kritic

kritic New Member

let me know when i can get a2x 2200 mah plain aluninium john no feeder.

13. sjdtxofesh

sjdtxofesh New Member

PCBs arrived yesterday so I immediately flashed the basic JIB firmware into one and did a functional test to verify the build. I'm happy to report 100% pass on this test. There is always the risk with a new design and with someone assembling for the first time that there is a problem of one kind or another. The new mosfets in 8-tssop package also improve the efficiency by a few %.

I then loaded an OLED display and spent until the wee hours writing the firmware to drive it. Here's what I came up with.

The top line in yellow is the battery .comge. The second line shows power setting, battery voltage and resistance. Third line is a status message in this case showing that vaping had timed out but it also displays thinks like LOCKED, LOW BATTERY, LOW RESISTANCE, CHARGING, etc. Fourth line shows number of vapes and total vaping time (mins:secs) since last charged.

Photo was taken outdoors in overcast conditions. It looks much more impressive indoors. In case you are wondering, the tweezers on the right are the 'ON' button.....

[​IMG]

This is how they were packaged by the assembler.

[​IMG]

Both sides of the PCB. The row of horizontal holes is where the PCB can be cut down to 35x18mm for no display applications

[​IMG]

14. Lady Luck

Lady Luck New Member

ducks nuts john.plain aluminium with a line on top.bewdifull

15. knz

knz New Member

They look great!

So are you accepting orders now Johnny?

Cheers, buggy.

16. janepervert

janepervert New Member

As soon as I figure out what enclosure(s) I'll be using I'll start taking orders. Options I'm looking at are both aluminium either machined from solid or using extrusion. Likely battery options are 2x2600mAh 185650, 2x2200mAh LiPo & 2x1300mAh LiPo.

17. gibson_sg345

gibson_sg345 New Member

Just had to build one of these new boards into a mod. The only batteries I had that would fit into the AL extrusion were a couple if trustfire 17650s labelled 1800mAh but I doubt the capacity. After much drilling & filing to get the cutout for the display, the extrusion was coated with clear guard. Took another 2 hours to make the end caps, fit the ego connector, wire it up and assemble. Then straight onto the charger as the 17650s were almost too low a voltage to use......

[​IMG]

18. Idioste

Idioste New Member

schweeeet whats the overall height excludung connector john?i rekon two 2200 lipos would be the go with the line on top.have you got a bottom plate on the proto in the pic?

19. assetadam

assetadam New Member

Looks great johnny, pm me once you have the 2 x 2600mAh 18650s done pat, I'll join the queue :) !

20. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

This one is 81mm high and has the bottom plate recessed into the extrusion. One of these using 2200mAh LiPos will be quite a lot taller, probably close to 115mm. I'm looking at the possibility of machined AL housings that will take 18650s and come in at around 90mm. !8650s are still the best choice for energy density.