Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Variable Power Mod

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Peanut Butter Addicted, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Peanut Butter Addicted

Peanut Butter Addicted New Member

I built a few of the circuit boards for the VP (was originally VV) AFS mod concept I'm working on but the first proto is still many weeks away as I'm waiting on parts. So in the meantime I thought I'd knock together a variable power mod to try that aspect of the new concept.

It has 2 x 2500mAh 18650s stacked to give 7.4~8.4 volts. These are unprotected but I've implemented cell voltage balancing, undervoltage & overcurrent protection and charger on board. The board measures both the voltage and current to the atomizer and uses this to calculate the instantaneous power being delivered. PWM (on/off switching) at 300Hz modulates the average power to the attie. This can be set anywhere from 4 to 12 watts.

Pressing the button for more than 0.4 sec activates vaping and the RGB led indicates the power by colour, blue = 4W, red = 12W and the spectrum in between for intermediate powers. Pressing the button for less than 0.4 sec activates setup mode where power level adjustment and other functions are available.

How well does it work? This is the first time I've used anything other than a 3.7~4.2V battery and I don't have a huge range of attie/clearo resistances but I'm amazed at the vapour production at higher power levels, I love it! Also looking forward to trying the Ikenvape HV atties on it.

View attachment 298

OK I know my woodworking skills need improvement :p

2. varepsilon

varepsilon New Member

very nice, so when are you going to start selling these mods of yours?

3. Phombub

Phombub New Member

very nice :)

now thats what I am talking about .. what output FET ?

4. theardy

theardy New Member

:) First I need to find someone who can do the woodwork for a reasonable price as I'm not skilled enough nor have the right equipment for it.

5. buriousia

buriousia New Member

It uses a couple of 5A p-channel SOT-23s in parallel to keep the cost and profile down

6. christucker

christucker New Member

And now the little brother....was going to squeeze in a couple of 18650s as per another mod I posted but found one of the cells in a spare pair I had was open circuit so used 14650s instead. With 2 x 1600 fake mAh cells it should still go at least a day and it's not so heavy.

View attachment 299

7. yqsnhkv2l

yqsnhkv2l New Member

Had my model maker produce a more rounded case. I also allowed for a larger button. It's made from 2 moldings glued together and a top plug so its 3 pieces compared with the original 2. The height has obviously increased but we may be able to reduce it a little. Width & depth are the same. We can go for fully rounded sides if we invest in some more tooling. To get back to the same height as the original a bottom plug would be needed making a total of 4 pieces. More pieces more cost.

View attachment 367

Edit - the rounded model shown is just a mockup. Had to redesign the PCB to suit and will have a working model in about 2 weeks.

8. AndrewFranklin

AndrewFranklin New Member

That looks more like it....

Drop it in a jarrah stain, coupla coats of epoxy and bewwwwwwdiful...... =)

9. lrebuxyi

lrebuxyi New Member

The rounded case looks pretty good Johnny.

10. pki76

pki76 New Member

So is the mod capable of dropping the power down? I mean variable power from 7.4/8.4 down to say... 4.4v or 5v or something?

Would love a high W but at 4.2 to 6.0v mod, especially a wooden one.. maybe made from purple poplar wood..?

11. whtman

whtman New Member

Just had a look at your modding website.. pretty good. I assume that the VV Evercool Copper Mod could be stuck inside any case really.. not just a copper pipe..? Do you have any suggestion on what would be the easiest to get started with, for a first timer? I wanna get a VV but I can't afford the prices people are asking for them.. and if I can manage to make one.. then I might make more, though would be very slow.. just as a hobby.

12. Hermione Granger

Hermione Granger New Member

This is a variable power rather than variable voltage mod. The power can be adjusted from 4 to 12 Watts. It means you can swap to different resistance attie without changing the setting for the same heating power. The equivalent voltages for different attie resistances are as follows: 1.6 ohms, 2.5 to 4.4 volts; 2.5 ohms, 3.2 to 5.5 volts; 3.5 ohms, 3.7 to 6.5 volts.

Still early days wrt wood species

13. Eloise

Eloise New Member

I did try out one of ur units that made it to melb. gotta say i really liked it. One thing about the led on top sometimes shoots vaper in eyeball while vaping. wise man say good for lungs but not great for eyeballs (specially while vape driving)

Just my 2 cents. and assumes led pierce fog cloud.

1 further q. Would u consider making a smaller version for more stealth or pocket challenged people ? obviously less battery life would result but would single.or.smaller bats fuck it up in some other way?

Sent from my android where the fullstop is too Fucking close to the space bar and editing is for the weak

14. antoohhamich

antoohhamich New Member

Yeah prob should add a function to dim the led. This design relies on 2 cells in series so in theory it could run off a couple of 14500s, cr123a's or 18340s but a wooden enclosure adds a lot to the size. I find the smaller ABS enclosure version quite pocket friendly and stealthy if the led is shielded

15. abnoncade

abnoncade New Member

Was a bit bored today so found a couple of 14650 cells and built them into this VP woody. Cells are labelled as 1600mAh but that's wishfull thinking on the part of the chinese. LED is on side and is now dimmable.
    View attachment 407

16. Megan N

Megan N New Member

do want... how much ?

17. antonsegger

antonsegger New Member

Nice work on the new additions John :)

18. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

Can I let you know in a few days? I want to get a handle on battery life to see if it's viable before I part with this one. Also I wouldn't recommend LRs on this one, SR & HV only.

19. Kiki

Kiki New Member

+1 :)
    was going to buy another provari, not any more.

20. sport3332

sport3332 New Member

LOL Of course mate. No probs at all :) I wasnt really expecting a price the day you built it. That sorta size really appeals, so just keep me in the loop :D