Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Vaporesso Ccell Ceramic Coils safety shit storm....

Discussion in 'Vape Talk' started by ConekomopaDC, Oct 20, 2015.

1. ConekomopaDC

ConekomopaDC New Member

Don't shoot the messenger (me!)

I'm just passing on what I've been seeing and reading. It's up to you to make your own choices if you are currently using the Vaporesso Ceramic Coils, as I am, until further credible & reliable information is published.

It's your own call on whether to consider if this is just unfounded malicious rumour or corporate espionage or something of that ilk OR if this is a serious enough concern that you should consider not using these coils until more conclusive factual information is available.

In order of how I understand things have unfolded:

Grimm Green at approx the 59:30 sec mark in this VLOG issues a serious warning about the safety of Vaporesso's Ceramic coils ( the below video starts at the right spot)

[video=youtube;vzlAfSzCCcA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzlAfSzCCcA&feature=youtu.be&t=59m19s[/video]

Phil Busardo gets involved and advises that the issue is with Magnesium Oxide (and potentially something else). Vaporesso issue a statement in response that he also posts on his Taste Your Juice website

http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/archives/9989

Vaporesso's (Smoore Technology) Legal Department then issued at statement on their website including links to their MSDS and RoHS test reports (along with and a Defamation lawsuit warning) :

STATEMENT

Naturally, there are threads on other forums following and commenting about these issues.

on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/3zyd9f/_/

and on ECF from the bottom of page 57 of this thread https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...tc-kit-with-ceramic-ccell-coil.709433/page-57

2. vserus

vserus New Member

Thanks for the post.

It's a scary thing as it's just what the industry doesn't need.... if its accurate.

However I've never been 'knowingly and purposefully' made ill from anyone except big parma and big t (and in a another can of worms...big famous companies) so unless Smoore Tech are funded and in bed with any of them, I'd personally feel as though "IF" its a genuine fault, then it's a possible genuine error.
    If however, the product is funded by BigT or BigP ...........

All in all, more testing needed and more results needed to have an appropriate response. Hopefully it's all good and no need for any worries at all.

Just my opinions above, no offence meant to anyone.

Below is a paragraph I copied from their website: FAQ-Vaporesso Vapor|E-cigarette|electronic cigarette -Vaporesso's offical website

1. Is Vaporesso a complete new entrant in this industry?
    VAPORESSO comes from the thriving business of SMOORE, the earliest and largest manufacturer in the electronic cigarette industry, which established in 2006. We are proud to have the strongest R&D force and top level manufacturing facility in vapor industry. Previously we are focusing on the OEM and ODM business of e-cig for the most of worlds’ top players including big tobacco companies.

6、Does the ceramic puts off toxins at high temperatures?
    The ceramic itself contain no hazardous chemical that can be approved by the components test for material safety. Just to clarify, there are thousands different type of ceramic, and our ceramic with unique formula is manufactured in the high temperature sintering process up to 1000。C; it is completely safe in high temperature conditions, will not release any toxins and particles. MSDS sheet from authoritative third party on our website can easily approve that. You can check it out on the link: MSDS report of cCELL - Kanthal (0.9Ω)-Vaporesso Vapor|E-cigarette|electronic cigarette -Vaporesso's offical website

3. Layla_77

Layla_77 New Member

Well that's a bit of a s*** storm. Hubby is finally loving a coil type and this comes out. I have read through the documentation and at this point I take a bit of comfort in the low wattage use of these tanks poses less (purported). All (purported) risks and stresses seem to occur with high temperature sustained usage.

We have discussed the information and he will continue to use until more conclusive evidence is presented.

Just as an aside IMHO Vaping to extremes and the rapid take up of subohm/high vapour production has its own risk of stressing both gear and the body.

4. pendragon

pendragon New Member

The coil tasted just wrong to me... I couldn't even finish a tank. [​IMG]

5. Greek Godess

Greek Godess New Member

MSDS isn't really helpful with this sort of material especially when the material is used in the way that it is used in vaping. It is a good starting point to show any basic toxic properties but that is about as far as it goes.
    The other thing of note is on the MSDS is we might know what elements are used in this material but they have removed the percentages so we are still in the dark on the true properties of this material.

6. SypeTeaPS

SypeTeaPS New Member

Yup I knew you/Baz would be disappointed in this, as am I. Sorry but felt it important to post up what is going on. Hopefully it's only a (shit) storm in a teacup and little more than that.

Out of interest, what is the preferred wattage you/Baz are using these coils at btw?

I started experimenting with the 0.9 om Kanthal coil at 20 watts, 30 watts & then 35 watts when I first got it earlier this week and then everywhere in between that range over the last couple of nights but I can't seem to find a sweet spot for some reason. I'm putting it down to the fact that my sweet spot on the Aspire Triton 1.8 ohm coils which I have been usuing exclusively for a few weeks now, seems to be around the 16 watt mark but I'm finding the Vaporesso Coil is a lot more 'airy' regardless of how much I close off the tank's airflow and its making it difficult to hone in on a perfect setting.

But then again I might just be delusional of course :hurt:

7. kjljmanjaro

kjljmanjaro New Member

The internet is a marvelous place .. it informs and just as often misinforms us about many things ... currently from what I can glean from this is an unnamed vendor has claimed to have tested these coils and found something nasty about them, and this information has been set free in the wild with NO test results released to back it up whatsoever, and the person doing the informing (via a very popular reviewer) does not wish the public to know who is making that claim.

The chemistry background in me is a bit quizzical at the Magnesium oxide connection?
    Now Magnesium Oxide is what they make crucibles out of ... you know those things that industry uses to melt metals in ? it is incredibly resistant to heat and that is why it is used as insulation material in so many things that hold heating wires ... think of the old fashioned bar radiators ... the ceramic they are wrapped around is MgO
    Its a component in cement, and is munched on or drunk everyday as an antacid ( its very alkaline)
    That said the heating temperature at which it is calcined is important as to what is produced and how much further heating may affect the substrate.

There is a condition called Metal Fume Fever which is a common industrial problem in Smelting or Welding operations which may come from exposure to MgO at extreme temperatures ( do not sniff a crucible of molten metal @ 2000+ degrees)
    The melting point of MgO is >2800 degC the boiling point is 3600 deg C ... now this is not to say their aren't contaminants in a vaporesso coil which are more reactive.

My gut feeling here is we are seeing the 2016 version of vapers and diacetyl .... where industry workers exposed to massive amounts are linked to a particular condition ... in actual fact there is more science around Metal Fume Fever than there is on diacetyl .
    I would be waiting for actual repeatable test results ( based on the conditions implied by vaping rather than the extremes of say melting metals in large quantities) before yelling the sky is falling .. however as always , your lungs , your choice !

My gut tells me provided Smoore have treated the ceramics properly ( or their supplier of ceramics does) and the ceramic has a demonstrated purity ( as in the tests already performed by Smoore) then its a non-issue ... after all most older vapers will already know ceramic has been used in atomisers for years ( the little ceramic cups in the older atties such as DSE-901's 808's etc in fact in most ecig atties prior to bigger badder mods and 14mm+ rebuildables etc)

As always I could be very wrong , so make up your own mind on it .

8. Taylor

Taylor New Member

Very well put FM. It saved me a lot of writing...............................well a lot of copy and paste any way. :)

9. kermit2010

kermit2010 New Member

He is using the kanthal .9ohm at 20.9W but remember we use 70%Pg and they are menthol so they burn at high temps. This is perfect for vapor production and taste and calculates to 4.3v

10. Brya

Brya New Member

Ta. I'm generally around the 40PG/60VG mark and mainly use Tobacco's & Custards.

I've currently got the 0.9 ohm Kanthal coil in a beautiful Black Silo Beast tank (thanks Jim) full of a DIY Vanilla Tobacco Custard. With the airflow almost completely closed and my evic Mini VTC on 32 watts and it's vaping quite nicely. I'm going to progressively drop the wattage and see if the flavour drops off too much etc.

11. megndi290

megndi290 New Member

well that proves one thing Fm...... your not just a pretty face !!!! :applause::applause::encouragement:

12. morton

morton New Member

Just out of interest I thought I would post these

MSDS MSDS report of cCELL - Kanthal (0.9Ω)-Vaporesso Vapor|E-cigarette|electronic cigarette -Vaporesso's offical website

If you have a read through that MSDS you will notice that there are both Chromium (Cr) and Nickel(N) in the composition table now I am not wanting to alarm any one but Chomium is a main component of Kanthal wires but compere the toxicity to these three components :)

Magnesium oxide http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/msds/mgo.htm
    Chromium http://wcam.engr.wisc.edu/Public/Safety/MSDS/Chromium.pdf
    Nickel http://www.durhamtech.edu/faculty/safety/MSDS%20Files/MSDS%20-%20Chemistry/Nickel.htm

What it all comes down to is what ends up in your vapor and with out any doubt the higher the power you run your device the greater the chance of you inhaling something you dont want to.

13. drasago

drasago New Member

Meh..... Another safety shitstorm/panic? How surprisement...

Seen a few of those in my vaping life.

I'll start taking notice when someone actually does some valid testing.

Until then....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

14. Bizejelo

Bizejelo New Member

Im using flavoured and i still cant stand the weird taste dry reach

15. lutalica

lutalica New Member

OMG - The Vaping world runs on scandal, fear and panic not to mention jumping from this is going to kill you to that's now bad for you. In the time I have been vaping I have lived through this and that panic / scandal most notably the the products in eliquids contain "anti freeze" - debunked yeah in trace levels there was Ethyline Glycol found - did anyone die? Not that I know of. Then there was the classic that we are all going to die when they released the DNA 40 mod because nickel wire was poisonous - has anyone dropped dead of nickel poisoning? There there was the Acetylpropionyl / Diketone / Diacetyl panic / scare that has surfaced on the roundabout again and there was also the panic about using Titanium wires when that became popular and now were back on to ceramics.

As Fatman has pointed out ceramics are nothing new - CE4 Clero cups / Divers / GG Atty's / Rose V2 / Genesis Atty Wicks the list goes on. Remember Vapin Doughnuts?

I don't know what's up with the vapers from around the world but it just seems like every time some half arsed study gets released or the Sigelli Army armed with there 1.21 jiggawatt mods and triple flat tiger twisted dragon coiled drilled out atty and a degree in chemistry / materiel science or metallurgy from the "You Tube University" we get another wave of irrational fear and panic that sweeps over the community.

I think sometimes we forget that at one time we all smoked cigarettes knowing full well what they did - I know I'm the guy that was happiest when I got the pack that proclaimed "Warning - Your Smoking Can Harm Others". Seriously I think that we forget about all the scientifically proven harm that we used to just ignore and just line up and hand over the dollars for another packet of durries. If your worried - don't use the coils - wait and find out what the go is - if your worried about a certain wire type don't use it same goes with e liquids. Probably the safest thing to do is just quit vaping altogether.

16. perfid

perfid New Member

The ni200 coil had a weired taste but the SS was OK, however they didn't produce what I was after.

17. Ice_Nova

Ice_Nova New Member

Woah why did he Grim say that in the video if its just a rumor atm, just slander a multinational company in a video and post it online.

Also why do so many people look like that now days is there a factory you go to where you get arm and neck tats a snap back hat and a black t shirt and black rim glasses or can you get it in an express kit sent to your mum and dads house.

Sorry if thats is out of line i should be the last person to judge anyone on style and looks.

18. agfa g

agfa g New Member

I am old enough to remember Hipsters as being Jocks :D
    Now
    [​IMG]

Then
    [​IMG]

19. uhtvspa2u

uhtvspa2u New Member

I got tattoos many years ago. One of the great things about them is you don't have to deal with so many judgmental bastards.

20. RollandAt

RollandAt New Member

Then : Tattoos were not mainstream. A show of individuality or defiance.
    Now : Tattoos are mainstream so much so many peoples mums and grans have them