Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

To ProVari or not to ProVari... that is the question

Discussion in 'Vape Mod Talk' started by Siztwirl, Jun 24, 2015.

1. elbalazzo

elbalazzo New Member

Doggin, those Xmods mods are awesome! I agree with you. I would get one of those before spending $300 on a Hana Mod. And there are quite a few other DNA20 mods out there to choose from.

I used to own a Buzz - the first version. I gave it to my uncle to get him off analogs. It was a solid work horse. I had an Infinity that I gave to my sister in law. It too was a work horse. I miss the wheel. Three buttons are better than one button IMO, but the wheel - OMG that was a thing of beauty.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. So please forgive me ProVari fans. But personally, I would not spend over $150 on a device unless it did something more than vary and hold voltage. Seriously, I have built devices for $25 that can do that. My point is not to compare my crappy attempt at a VV mod with the ProVari, that would be insulting. My point is for $150 to $200 I want more than just a VV device that can check ohms and volts. IMO the ProVari is worth $75 at most. If they wanted to - they could offer me an extended warranty for $75 and let me decide. Again, sorry ahead of time if my opinion upsets the VV community.

2. babylon329

babylon329 New Member

[MENTION=10253]styler4[/MENTION] I totally respect your opinion. I currently own a Provari and in the past owned 2 BuzzPros. I tend not to be a fan of any one mod but appreciate many the qualities of many different mods and other vaping equipment. I wish I was a fan of one mod because then I wouldn't have so many different ones.

3. tampele

tampele New Member

lol a man after my own heart. I still use my buzz pro and it's very nice to be able to tweak the voltage without looking. I can do that on a Vamo or Gripper too but, it's not the same as that wheel.

When I started vaping, for commercially available mods there were really only two VV: the Provari and the Buzz and 1 VW: the Darwin. The madvapes VV box doesn't count. :) When that's all there is, they can command high prices. Now it really doesn't make sense. Notcigs has seent the light and offers the buzz pro as a kit for $70. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone mention a Darwin. Provape's come out with colors. There are a lot of Provari fans out there and more power to them but, I don't see how the difference in price can be reflected in the vaping experience.

4. Dasumu

Dasumu New Member

HHHEEYYYYYYYYYYY whats wrong with madvapes VV box ?!?! :D
    that was my first vv device,then i got an Ipro but hated how skinny and slippery it was ..tryed to get a buzz but the dam things were never in stock so i got a Pro,rest is history

5. momy

momy New Member

very well said styler 4... i like my z max not the smok z max there junk if you ask me not 2 well built in my opp... if you want a affordable vv vw mod i say go with the sigelei z max for around $80 to $85 bucks the best i have found for a ss tube mod ...

crash man...

6. artefeCor

artefeCor New Member

I feel a whole lot like Doggin does, with regards to different mods and such. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, and I have no issue with someone else expressing their opinion either.

But pound for pound, I find my ProVari's worth every penny paid. The build quality alone almost makes it worth it, in my eyes.

My very first mod was a Sigelei Z-Max. I've also recently purchased an Innokin iTaste SVD and a V4L OMG VV. They all make really nice vapor to me, and seem reasonably well built.

It's my opinion that the vape quality is at least 30% better from the ProVari than the others I have. I came to that realization before I bought the ProVari's too! A buddy of mine let me borrow one of his ProVari's over night, because I continually ragged on him about spending so much money, and how my Z-Max was just as good for so much less. It took me less than an hour to realize just how wrong I was. I placed my order with ProVape that night before bed I was so impressed (now he rags me, but hey, I deserve it :) ).

The only thing I can think of that can possibly account for this is the PWM circuit ProVape uses vs the one that all the Chinese mods seem to use. This makes sense to me, as the ProVari uses an 800Hz PWM, and the Chinese use 33.3Hz. I've read arguments stating that 33.3Hz is all that's needed. Again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I can not only taste the difference, I can hear it. So telling me what I need doesn't go far with me.

The only other variable device I've used that makes a vapor as nice as ProVari is a Hana Modz box, and it uses a DNA20 chipset. That friggin thing costs $350 now, so there's no way in hell I'll be buying one, as I can't justify that cost. The $180 a pop + options for ProVari was at the very top end for me.

7. Joe L

Joe L New Member

The madvapes VV box was my first VV too. It actually outperforms both the Buzz Pro and the Provari in some ways. If you've been around long enough, you might remember that when the 1.5 ohm DCs came out, it was one of the few that could handle the amps. That particular innovation forced both notcigs and provape to come out with V2s. :)

It might be the constant voltage. I don't see a lot of difference though. The Buzz Pro is constant voltage; the kick is too and I have and use both along side PWMs. Maybe PWM messes with some juices and that's why some seem to see a big difference. It might also be an apples to oranges thing. On the Segelei, did you have it in RMS mode? Even then, I'm not sure that 3.7V on the Segelei would be similar to 3.7V on the Provari. I never think of vaping as being at a certain number. It's always where I like it, below where I like it or above where I like it. If you're plugged into the numbers and a lot of people are, that might be it as well.

If build quality is a big deal for you, you'll definitely prefer the Provari. For me, there is a good enough with build quality. Once you pass that, it's just high priced glitter.

8. mateo14

mateo14 New Member

i remember that,,i was running the EMDCC on my madvapes box,,that was the only DC anything i liked !!

9. Friendly Stranger..

Friendly Stranger.. New Member

MickeyRat - I remember how good those first madvapes box mods were in handling the dual coils. I built several because no manufactured mod could get the job done. Manufactured devices sorted it out, but by then I had moved on to low ohm genny setups. And wouldn't you know it, no manufactured VV/VW device can handle the load.

To Doggin's point - every device has unique qualities, and I agree wholeheartedly with his statement about not being a fan of any single mod. I am sitting here looking at my desk and I have an RSST, ProTank, Carto Tank, MT3 and an IGO-L - all setup and working perfectly. They all serve a purpose, and they all taste and work differently. I have not yet seen or heard of a single device that can handle all of those the way I have them setup. When I do, I will have no problem shelling out $200 or more and simplifying my life. In the meantime, there are so many excellent ways to get the job done that I am quite content.

10. Betwixt & Between

Betwixt & Between New Member

being that i ordered my GF a provari last week...and have been using it for a week...

...and just ordered a zmax for myself...

...in a few days i should be able to give some personal opinions comparing the two.

11. panter71

panter71 New Member

As I'm a couple weeks out from pulling the trigger on this I would greatly appreciate the side by side review when you've had the chance to work with them both and put some thoughts together. Thanks.

12. elgunsu

elgunsu New Member

For anyone interested, the new, red Provari will be offered starting at noon PST today according to the Provape FB page.

13. r6fvzcu44

r6fvzcu44 New Member

I have owned infinity pro,l rider, lava tube, Prodigy ,ego,gg clone, ego twist,evic,Vamo 2 of them nothing compares to my provari only issue i have with it is any little scratch on it bothers me because its so beautiful lol.All mods listed were handed down to my wife for her to destroy

14. epigrarry

epigrarry New Member

I own 4 Provari's and have had a couple Zmax v2's, numerous mech mods, an ITaste MVP, and of course a few DzNutz modz. The durability of the Provari seems to be far and above that of the other v.v. devices, as I've dropped my pro, thrown it, got them wet, one froze solid @ -25*F. for a few hours and they all rebound and keep working nicely. One thing I don't like about the 'vari is using gennies. Not enough oompf in that department. And no, I don't like to wrap 1.8-2.5 ohm coils, I like .8-1.2 so I use mechs. Or the DzNutz modz. My wife was using a Pro and I got her a Dz dual 18650 and she hasn't touched the provari since! I dropped one Zmax, one time and the connector broke off. After a home fix I dropped it again at work and now she's DOA. I like the Sigelei menu system better than the pro but can't stand the 'pulsing' and the continued firing after I let off the button. And the button feels 'cheap' too. As for the v.v. or v.w. option, I could care less. One is no better than the other because I adjust for my juice, some like hotter, some lower, cooler temps.
    So for all the mods I've been thru, trading, buying and selling, My Provari's and Dz mods stay and get used regularly and the others, well they just go away.
    As for price, where can you get a quality mod like a Provari and if, if it needs repair, get that done? Buy one Provari or who knows how many Chinese latest and greatest, only to have to replace them because there's no repair service. $200 spent one time or $40-$75 how many times?? I vote for my Pro's and Dz Modz!

15. Affisuask

Affisuask New Member

I've been debating this for the past few weeks... After seeing the red one, I think it's time to finally make that move... Can anyone who has had a vamo let me know the main differences between the two. I have been satisfied with mine so far to date.

16. seven8nine

seven8nine New Member

Well I got my zmax mini in Friday. “zmax MINI?” you say? Yes. They sent me the wrong one. But, my gf liked the way it looked….so shes claiming it.
    [​IMG]

After using the provari for a week…and the mini for a weekend, here’s my thoughts:

I ordered a black provari for myself.

The button on the zmax is sloppy. If you don’t push it straight in, it won’t fire. It’s also in a very awkward spot. Almost half way down the mod and it makes you hold it weird. i expect this to be the failure point of this mod. The screen is nice, though a little banged up, and the finish of the mod is nice. Weight is much less than the provari. The threads are rough and require effort to push the 18350 in-place. Speaking of that: yes, 18350…and BARELY shorter than the Provari that uses an 18500.

It goes thru that 18350 better than expected though. I get about 10 hours of regular vaping out of it….but that’s compared to the all day use from the Provari.

The Provari is, as you’d expect, much better. But is it a hundred dollars better? Well…seeing that there is nothing really “half way” between the Zmax and the Provari, I’d say yes.