Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Stardust eternal rewicks with cotton and dry burning; Quick, Cheapest and Best!

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by SaleRaletob, Dec 2, 2015.

1. SaleRaletob

SaleRaletob New Member

Getting right into cotton, such a clean vape...noticing that my rebuilds on the Vivi nova are better with less cotton so as it's not too tight; reading about the massive capacity for cotton to expand with fluid, I had a thought;

Why not simply leave an old coil in place and take out the cruddy old silica wick; dry burn with NO wick inside. Then thread through as many strands of cotton .comze as I can get through it, fill with juice, leave overnight to let the cotton expand with the juice.

I got an old Stardust atty head that I hadn't used for 2 months and did it. Pulled out the old silica wick, washed and dry burned then washed again. Dry burning is SO much more effective with no wick in it. Dried thoroughly (very short dry burn). Frayed away some .comze until I had as much of a bunch of threads as I thought I could thread through; wet the end with a bit of VG and rolled into a point, then threaded through like one might thread a needle. It was easier than I thought it would be.

It works! The draw, flavour and throat hit is great! So clean and smooth. Quicker than a full rebuild and recoil! Probably more effective as it is not so tight! I can do this forever, well, until the coil pops, but who knows when that will happen. No need for testing resistance etc. Ability to dry burn a cotton vaping system! The .comze is practically free!

2. Blubberfischlix

Blubberfischlix New Member

Yep no need to jam too much cotton into a coil, just thread through as much as you think will fit comfortably & it will expand when soaked with juice.
    Discovered that months ago when modding VK Comets to take cotton wicks ;)

3. jaysetsfire

jaysetsfire New Member

You just talking about medical cotton .comze ???

4. What cookie...

What cookie... New Member

Yep ... from a Chemist

5. FoxBox

FoxBox New Member

Yep, medical cotton .comze, but you have to pick it apart so instead of a criss cross you just have threads in the same direction. Doesn't take that long, you don't need it too thick. It's fit to go into wounds so it's pretty pure, sterile cotton so I don't see any need to boil it or do any other prep, just pull it apart and go! I'm using ribbon .comze ATM.

I had a feeling you had pioneered methods like this Noe. Do you still do this? Any other tips?

6. crotchcritter

crotchcritter New Member

I use the square .comze swabs, just make sure what you use is 100% cotton, its pretty much the same stuff as the ribbon.
    I don't bother pulling the strands out I just cut a section, roll it up diagonally so the criss cross threads roll into the gaps between the threads & don't make thicker & thinner sections of wick.
    That gets the wick fairly even along the length, then the ends will be thinner than the main section of the wick due to the diagonal rolling, which makes it easier to thread through the coil be.comse you have a thin end to get it started with.
    Once the wick is in place I trim the thin ends away but if the wick is sitting in a Vivi Nova you probably don't need to do that, on comets you do.

Leaving the criss crossing in place also has a few other effects IMO that stranding doesn't. First it holds the wick together better. Second it allows the wick to have more gaps between threads, which allows the wick to use a bit of capillary action like SS mesh. Third it holds more liquid per length of wick be.comse there is space between strands for juice to "pool" into.

I still do this when rebuilding my Comet wicks & coil, I'll use the Comet as supplied until the coil dies then chuck the silica & busted coil, then mod it using kanthal & cotton.

7. Speadeopy

Speadeopy New Member

Thanks for that Noe, I'll try your method next time I do it.