Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Stainless Steel Woven Wire Mesh

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Dogs coming outta my ears, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Question Man

Question Man New Member

Wouldn't that then also be an issue for stainless steel, esp since it needs to be oxidized so it doesn't short out the heating coil?

Edit: looked up acrolein in wiki:

"When glycerol is heated to 280 °C, it decomposes into acrolein"

"Acrolein is a severe pulmonary irritant and lachrymatory agent. It was used as a chemical weapon during World War I."

Perhaps some people's allergy to VG is related this.

2. TEWWilfor

TEWWilfor New Member

I'm not a scientist, but again from reading:

I would assume that this layer would act as a 'barrier', preventing a chemical reaction to take place between the VG and the metals in the SS. I'm sure a chemist could prove me wrong though :p

This is possible. Acrolein can only be detected by the nose at 0.25ppm, while it can effect us at around 0.09ppm. Usually symptoms are itchy eyes, throat, etc, but never really that severe. I have personally smelt acrolein, and believe me once you smell it you will know its toxic :p

Source: http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/acrolein.html

3. Deseepet

Deseepet New Member

we have had a few discussions on acroleine, i keep powers low when using vg and even then its always on my mind.

4. Jan de Vos

Jan de Vos New Member

I've been vaping 100% VG almost exclusively and have been getting itchy eyes. Maybe time to switch to more PG based and/or keep the power down (love running at higher power levels on my VP mods :)

5. lolicongirl

lolicongirl New Member

i don't know if i'm just paranoid.. but the burnt grease smell is something i reckon i have noticed even in low levels. I would be less concerned if it wasnt mentioned as a chemical weapon, thoughts of long term damage are a worry, .comse nerve sheaf damage .. pass.
    back to SS mesh .. vg discussion has other threads.
    has anyone here actually used any ss mesh yet ?

6. thesmyther

thesmyther New Member

Just created a small homemade atty with the mesh. It does work, definitely. Still getting a small amount of current travelling through it though, despite being oxidized.

I was getting quite a putrid smell with VG though, which is not so good :( Will have to investigate or switch to pure PG.

View attachment 451 View attachment 452

7. baalexeyrancesay5200

baalexeyrancesay5200 New Member

After over 12 months of vapeing mainly 100% VG if you blokes are trying to worry me,
    it's not working. I still think of the 1000s of bad chemicals I'm not smokeing.

The money saved also helps.

8. RichardMaretti

RichardMaretti New Member

Haha flea :p Just nit-picking really, as cigarettes contain acrolein too.

9. eviviox

eviviox New Member

Mesh arrived today. Frigged around with it for 1/2 an hour at least, trying to make a wick/coil for iAtty. Couldn't oxidize it well enough using my little butane torch as it would short to the coil with the slightest movement. May do some more experimenting later. Makes a good filler for standard cartridges though.

10. Exoxiavop

Exoxiavop New Member

Stuff is a pain in the neck.

When you oxidized did you do you final burn with eliquid?

Watch all the hoops this guy jumps through to prepare the mesh.

[video=youtube;FHdpYCRG8R4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHdpYCRG8R4&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

One of the Czech Genesis/mesh builders ended up going this route, using the mesh just for wicking and not worrying about the oxidizing.

[​IMG]

It may just be the little tube from a carto.

11. stiffmaestro

stiffmaestro New Member

Just an FYI for you out there looking for a source for this type of wire mesh material in several different alloys:

Try:

Mcmaster Carr - good service, and decent pricing, can ship to you hast if you have an account

Custom Wire Cloth - Belleville Wire Cloth Co - Cedar Grove, NJ - Belleville Wire Cloth - can ship you a lot of different alloys. From fine mesh, to coarser stuff, they usually have the best price and best variety of the rare meshes, very reliable service.

Direct Metals - Very competive pricing and can usually ship you whatever they have very fast, don't seem to have as much mesh in stock in different sizes and alloys as the others.

Just an idea...