Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

SS600 nic stability testing

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by MM01, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

Probably doesn't mean much except don't speed steep in plastic bottles I suppose.

About to put up the results.

2. Elsabe

Elsabe New Member

So storing in plastic should be ok in the freezer right?

3. somebrony

somebrony New Member

Ok , so here it is. Approx 100C for 24Hours
    HC 36mg 100% VG (different bottle than last time (older)
    31 to 29.5 no plastic inside the glass bottle - 5%
    31 to 27 with bits of plastic in the bottle - 13%
    MFS made to 36mg @ 40% VG
    37 to 36 - 3%
    37 to 34.5 with plastic - 7%
    RTS 100%VG made to 36mg
    36 to 34 - 5%
    36 to 32 with plastic - 11%
    MFS 100mg 100%PG
    104 - 100 in glass bottle - 4%
    104 - 100 with plastic - 4%
    104 - 104 in open flask with and without plastic ????? 0%
    plain VG and PG heat 24hours did not alter in pH much or change results.

They all went darker and all of them including the 100%pg had a bit of a horrible putrid chemical smell and some more than others with a plasticy smell. Lost my smell sensitivity to tell one from the other now.

4. akromlptvancj

akromlptvancj New Member

so the VG in combination with plastic is affecting the nic strength or throwing off the test results.
    veeery interesting.

5. katiyliysi

katiyliysi New Member

I reckon it would be ok. 100C is a lot closer to the melting point of the plastic.

Forgot to mention, acid titration will not pick up all the different types of changes that can occur.

6. DrBoobies

DrBoobies New Member

Yep, higher VG seems more so than lower VG

7. telect

telect New Member

Just doing some random thinking here SS ... ( bear with me its been years since my last organic chem exam at Uni ) Nicotine in its pure state is chrystalline suspended in natural oils yeah? and being organic it will form covalent bonds pretty readily , its melting point is listed at 79 deg C , I am just wondering if the heat supplied in combination with something leaching out of the plastics is forming a new compound with the VG? We are getting into heavy hypothesis here lol but I cant help thinking , heat plus change in state plus a readily available bond site on "Something" could explain some of the results?

Just doodling in my head here :)

8. _0815_

_0815_ New Member

I thought it would just be like any other freebase alkaloid and it's melting point is (minus) -79C (no naturals oils required) and the protonated (salt) form may be a crystal.

I'm not sure if something formed, polyethelene is just a boring hydrocarbon with nothing special to react with. (at least that's what I though).

Maybe Nic free base acts like a solvent on PE that increases with temperature. I just had another smell, it's too strong and I lose what is what, I think the plastic smell was very strong while it was all still warm but my sense is out the window right now and I can't remember for sure but I think the smell was in both PG and VG but only when it contained nic. I reckon once dissolved, we detect a change with funky things forming in / with the VG but can't detect much change in / with PG as it could just be dissolved in with the PG but not reacting, or reacting but we are not detecting. Anyway, the smell is very strong and I reckon you would vomit before long if you tried to vape it. So sometimes in the past I have detected plastic tastes etc in my juice. No where near this strong though. Just the usual amount you sometimes get in food etc.

9. You remembered?

You remembered? New Member

Yep amazing what a difference a minus sign makes ... told ya my organic chem was rusty lol ... hey at least I remembered the 79 !
    Pay no attention to me lol ... I am becoming old n doddery

10. Thebringeroftruth

Thebringeroftruth New Member

I'm glad I fkd up the first lot by using plastic bottles now. :)

11. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

Still looks like nic in PG base is going to be better for long term storage :)
    Considering PG will keep the bacteria out too, it means it'd be pretty safe even kept out of the fridge/freezer over a couple of years at room temp by the looks of this experiment.

12. tommyc

tommyc New Member

at least some of the vaping media are peeking into this thread btw..

13. sagarr21

sagarr21 New Member

I think the PE plastic issue could be negligable at room temp, and especially in the fridge / freezer.

A sign would be if you can taste it for a particular lot made up and you know it's not the tank doing it. Just like you would with food in plastic containers I suppose.

Toss up for PG / VG. VG is thicker, especially when cooled. (technically the freezing point is +18C), and I wouldn't think bacteria or fungus could grow in straight VG+Nic. especially if the VG is good quality. Need other nutrients etc., but I could be wrong.

I think it's mainly important to not speed steep in plastic. Dunno, will have to surf around and see what I can find.