Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

SS600 nic stability testing

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by MM01, Nov 12, 2015.

1. MM01

MM01 New Member

View attachment 3486 View attachment 3487 View attachment 3488

Just started doing some accelerated stability work. Crude test but very interesting result.

Used a bottle of HC 36mg PG and a bottle of 36mg VG and filled 6 small bottles. 2 as control, 2 half full, 2 completley full.

Too late to go into it tonight but after 12 hours at 95Deg, there were some pretty big changes.

After 12 hours

Control VG = 32 PG = 32.5
    Boil half full VG = 26 PG = 31.5
    Completley full VG = 28.5 PG = 31.5

Weighed the bottles before and after boil and checked the desities to make sure no water got in. (Note, no browning of the VG)

I'll start a new thread tomorrow and talk about it further, there are a few points to consider. If I get time, I'll do it properly one day (weeks) at different temperatures and try to extrapolate a graph on the kelvin scale.

2. hemsShake

hemsShake New Member

Oh, the numbers on the bottle on the far right is the weight and density calcs not the mg. But the titration result happened to be 26.0

3. Bizflisse

Bizflisse New Member

Wow so by the looks of your initial test results, nic will degrade less in a PG base :)

4. mssi9ylxvxb

mssi9ylxvxb New Member

yeah, didn't expect that. Didn't expect no discolouration either.
    It kind of goes against a lot of theories out there. Giving it another run today.
    If anyone knows of any tests like this that someone else has tried, please let me know.

5. Sam N

Sam N New Member

wonder what would happen in an increased oxygen atmosphere .. pure ixygen would be explosive i guess:)
    perhaps a pure nitrogen would be safer :)

6. ironeeree

ironeeree New Member

then theres exposing it to a known UV source..

7. pokemon84s

pokemon84s New Member

reasoning, determine once a for all whether temperature, air or light .comses most degradation.

my bet would be UV then air then temperature..

8. Bosco

Bosco New Member

I reckon it would come down to how much of it.
    UV indoors in hugely less than outside.
    In a half full bottle, there is bugger all oxygen compared to nic. probably 1% of the nic can react. If it was always being opened and shaken, then it would get a good dose.
    and heat is heat, length of time and how high or low.

I've seen the madvapes thingy but it's not sitting well with me.

I going to take a guess and say for day to day average usage on the bottle currently being used, its air and in long term storage, it's heat. (unless of course you store it in the sunlight.)

9. Kayleigh

Kayleigh New Member

i really should get my flavoured nic back in a cupboard, it sits in my workshop in a box with a clear lid.
    agree with the oxygen thing, i was just thinking that if I had a big bottle (say a 500ml) of 100mg then removing say 100ml minimum at a time would be better than 30ml. keeping number of time lid is removed to. minimum while not having too large a bottle to decant into for the same reasons.
    of course its all conjecture, as we don't really know what affects it the most.

interesting experiment, i will be following. just chucking (or spewing) out ideas..

theres a lot of spectrum less energetic below UV that may effect it, blue or green even .. is there a figure for photon energys for molecules ?
    perhaps going yellow is nics way of protecting itself :)

10. ehnsccglcpud

ehnsccglcpud New Member

Lol, yep, I reckon this drug has a soul. :)

100mls at a time is definitely better. What I used to do when I cracked open a 1L bottle is put it into a 500ml bottle and a 250ml buttle and chuck back in the freezer. Then use 100ml bottles for the rest, going through one bottle at a time. Once the 100 are out, refill from the 250ml, then once out again, refill everything from the 500ml. This way, only one bottle at a time is being exposed and longer storage stays in freezer.
    Now I've got some special jars with a piston seal on the bottom and a syringe (without needle)extraction port on the top. No air ever gets in, no sucking thick liquids through a needle, no mess and no fuss. Been meaning to post about it. Maybe later.

I might edit the first post later and ask to move it to a new thread as it could be a long discussion.
    A thousand things to consider and don't know where to start.

11. amandarebeka

amandarebeka New Member

I think nic has maximum light absorbance of 200nm and 260nm which I think the cobalt blue glass misses out on. Don't know about the visible and IR spectrum though.

12. opelbox

opelbox New Member

done, i thought the technical department was most suitable though DIY mixing got a look in..

13. Geftealm

Geftealm New Member

Thanks.

A long long time ago, I was regularly using Spectrometry, Gas Chromatography, and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance etc to determine unknown substances. I used to be able to look at a chemical and work out degradation pathways through Pyrolysis / thermolysis, photolysis, hydrolysis, oxidation etc. from first principles. These days, I have difficulty even remembering the terminology.

This test should be in glass bottles and better heat control. I should also be making it from scratch, not using HC stuff.

Another thing to consider is what it's turning in to from the different methods of degradation and of these, what titration still picks up as a false positive. If I had a data logger, I'd have a better idea.

Test 2 is still boiling away. Another 5 hours to go.

14. admasusasda7924

admasusasda7924 New Member

That coating on coils that some call caramelisation, does anyone know if it ever happens with 100%PG mixes?

Thoughts so far,

- bottles used stuffed it, possible air leaks etc. and the nic got out and moisture got in.
    - the nic reacts with glycerol, Oxygen (air) could be a catalyst or part of it, time and temp dependant, may or may not have a critical temp before it begins, needs to be either at 100%VG or could be with any VG content at all.

Bit short on time to look further ATM. But I can say one thing, don't hold the button down for 12 hours before you draw. :)

A couple of hundred glass ampouls for a time capsule is looking quite attractive right now.

15. Erycladdy

Erycladdy New Member

i have vaped straight PG and nic and there is still deposits, the real goey deposits I put down more to flavours than VG. I couldn't say I have had enough data to really pin anything down apart from flavours.

16. anon

anon New Member

Ok, I'm going to get to the bottom of it, day off today.
    Done a bit more reading. I think there could be reaction with the PE bottles at high temps.

I've got some better bottles to do it in. Will use the oven and chop up some plastic bottles and place in some of the bottles to see how it goes.

17. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

I am so glad you dont have a hobby like macrame to take you away from us SS :D

18. |anonymous|

|anonymous| New Member

Lol.

I'm a bit of a nut. Though I may as well get the oven going while I am massacring lithium batteries / checking the NCRB's safety

19. A teen talking here

A teen talking here New Member

Make sure you have them safely housed and the extractor fan on lol ( just in case )

20. ASIANESE

ASIANESE New Member

Lol, I didn't mean I was putting them in the oven too. :)

Outside, always. :)