Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Punching Cartos - A combination of a couple of ideas

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by crehegeZetcek, Nov 5, 2015.

1. crehegeZetcek

crehegeZetcek New Member

Take a block of wood

drill a hole in the end deep enough to fit the carto all the way in, make the hole 2 ml larger then the carto diameter.

slice the block of wood open on a table saw such that you have 2 halves each with a trench.

If you only want to punch one hole in the carto only put a screw in one side such that the point sticks into the trench the amount you want to punch the carto, for 2 holes put one in each side. Put the screws the correct distance in to puch the carto exactly where you need it punched. Cut the heads of the screws flush with the block.

Put carto in trench, put second half on top, hit with a hammer, carto punched.

Anyone tried this or see a problem?

GaZ

2. glomora

glomora New Member

using a circular saw you will lose about 5mm of trench depth total.

better off leaving the block with the hole into it, drilling into the side and maybe making a seperate block with the screw in the side.

3. maria_5100

maria_5100 New Member

View attachment 680

Nah just take a square block drill a hole to fit a cart in the side. Another on the top to fit a nail. a spacer or a few washers to stop the nail going all the way down through the hole.

4. GroverBra

GroverBra New Member

what about if you add back the 5ml with a strip of mdf around the bottom half?

5. bmilesqcavs7032

bmilesqcavs7032 New Member

No need to over complicate stuff

6. invisiblex

invisiblex New Member

for 2 holes at once though it should be quicker though, and whats the use of having a shedful of tools if you cant plug them all in to do little jobs.

I can see the sense in the 2 above suggestions, will give it a try next time noise regulations allow, and see what I come up with.

7. BiancaC

BiancaC New Member

2 holes at the same time. Maybe you need 3 hands and 2 hammers, or a vice. But really with this method i can punch a carto in like 20 seconds. I think something that wouldnt require a hammer maybe that screws the nail down to make the hole would be good. So you can just sit on the couch and punch a box while watching TV. Like a tube cutter that screws holes. Dont know how to make it but. Yet.

8. lras0jxifuz

lras0jxifuz New Member

i like slots, running a boge with 2 vertical slots at the moment. 0.6mm x 5mm or so, wicking well.

9. Unworthy King

Unworthy King New Member

I like vertical slots too ;)

10. leapfrog44

leapfrog44 New Member

Cant really answer that with an "I prefer punched holes" so yes I prefer vertical slits

11. Francis Ulma!

Francis Ulma! New Member

Well I like holes, and with the DCs especially, they can be quite tempermental as far as size.

Do you guys have these?

View attachment 683

It's a self piercing saddle valve. The make very nice, small perfect holes everytime.

12. Randy B

Randy B New Member

13. darkangel_zheinah

darkangel_zheinah New Member

14. parkerjiscool

parkerjiscool New Member

lots are now doing the jig, arry sells them on ukvapers for 10 pound + postage, but dont think it would actually take much effort, and at worst I will give it a try and then order one if I suck at DIY.

GaZ

15. mumilf101

mumilf101 New Member

yeah gaz, i have a shed full of tools too, and i hardly ever use them, a jig is a perfect office boy like me task, doesnt take long so i dont loose interest, and doesnt cost much if i stuff it up. I usually end up buying the real deal after i stuff up even the most basic DIY job lol.

16. magerjohn

magerjohn New Member

17. Rhondawbjf

Rhondawbjf New Member

theres one available on ebay for $15 or so, just do an advanced search with all items available to canada

18. Wapeemepith

Wapeemepith New Member

now i just want to punch your slit. :)

end of day 2 on dual vert slOt .. still the same as it was day 1 .. awesome.

19. gestype

gestype New Member

I haven't tried vertical slots yet but they make more sense from a wicking point of view. What happens when the juice gets low and exposes the slot? With horizontal slots I like to keep them close to the bottom seal.

20. kehindeodulate

kehindeodulate New Member

doesn't seem to make any difference jonny, had no leaks.
    its not really running wetter than the normal slot, a chain vape is consistent start to finish though, previously I thought it would get drier towards the end.
    flavour is fading day 3 tho.
    I will.comtopsy this one when done and see if it has any melted fill, thats what I am trying to eliminate.