Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Provari V2 vs Buzz Pro LR DCC shoot out.

Discussion in 'Vape Mod Talk' started by RyanE, Apr 21, 2015.

1. RyanE

RyanE Guest

Head to head comparison on the new Provari V2 and the Buzz Pro handling LR DCCs.

[video=youtube;jbARVq9WYhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbARVq9WYhY[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbARVq9WYhY

Sent via cellular communication device...

2. [video=youtube;jbARVq9WYhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbARVq9WYhY[/video]

3. mxkid

mxkid Guest

That was a damn good video, Drew Carey!

4. ReillyS

ReillyS Guest

Very well done comparison

5. JokerWannabe

JokerWannabe Guest

A younger version of Stephen King calling him Drew Carey. ;) JK jk.:eek:

Good video comparision btw Fazed!!!!:)

6. I don't have to be attractive, I've got a hot wife!

(there's logic in there somewhere...)

7. RichardN

RichardN Guest

Hey! That's my line!

8. Doofy

Doofy Guest

With the "Shoot Out" part you did at the very end I feel that it wasn't really fair to compare some of them and here is why.

"Cost Advantage" That is really had to compare between the two and the reason being for this is because there is a lot of features that the ProVari V2 has that the Buzz Pro doesn't. With that being said it should be obvious that the ProVari is going to cost more, it has more things built into it.

"Fit and Finish" To me this would be vary hard to compare the two just because that is rather subjective. What might work for one might not work for someone else.

"Customizable Options" When you went a compared these its pretty much like comparing apples and oranges. The Buzz Pro might come in a few more colors or what have you. But with the ProVari you are able to customize the voltage you want and what you set is what you get and you can confirm that with a built in screen. Same thing with the led weather you want it to turn on or stay off when in use. Those are other things that you can "customize" that are not just for the appearance that should also be taken into account.

"Safety Features" Honestly I have not read up too much on what device has exactly what safety features.

"Power Output" You have made some clear and valid points for both sides as far as this goes. But when it comes to using the Buzz Pro you really have no way to know what voltage you are vaping at in the first place unless you add another device onto it. If you are going to just look at what one allows a higher voltage then you are correct. But if that is the only thing considered then technically you can hook up a carto to a car battery and it will beat the ProVari too.

9. Jenine

Jenine Guest

You are correct. The Provari does have more built into it, but not everyone wants a screen and built in ohm meter, etc. Personally, I like those features, but in the end, if all you want to do is vape a DCC at high voltage, the Buzz does it cheaper.

Agreed. That's why I said "in my opinion" when I mentioned that. Personally, in my opinion, the Provari looks and feels more refined.

Again, not disagreeing with you. However, you are able to customize the voltage you want with the Buzz as well. No, you can't see it on a readout, but it's still adjustable. The Buzz has colored marks on the hit control dial that tell you where you are in the voltage spectrum. I meant by the coatomization that the Buzz offers alternate atomizer interfaces besides the standard 510. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it because all DCCs are 510 threaded (I think).

The both offer over current, over heat, reverse battery, venting, etc.

The idea behind the Buzz not having a meter is that the user adjusts to taste. I metered it with an external device only to give reference to measure.

I'm not knocking the Provari or the Buzz. I love them both. The only thing I wanted to compare in this review was each device's ability to drive LR DCCs. I admit I probably could have done a better job of it.

10. BobK

BobK Guest

Don't get me wrong you did a great job with the review, I was just merely stating my opinion and thoughts.

11. CarlyS

CarlyS Guest

Thanks for the review Fazed , here is what I used on my new V2 1.5 dcc in a BDV tank Provari set at 4.9 and it rocks my Provari v1 same set up would e2 at 4.1 I am very happy with all my Provari 's It is a rock solid mod and I know for sure when I set it at 4.9 or any other setting that's what I get. The Provari can also be turned completely off via the software. I have never tried a Buzz Pro but at this point I am spoiled to the readout screen and the what you set you get. On the colors Satin, Black,Chrome and 24 k gold plated the Buzz Pro does have more color options . Maybe someday I will run into someone with a Buzz Pro and Then I could try it out.. For now Im in Provari Heaven..

12. ludacris

ludacris Guest

Nice review. I would like to make one point though that I have not seen mentioned. Batteries, stacking vs non stacking. Not being a fear monger, but I think anytime you reduce the risk of something it is a plus. I do stack batteries in my other mods. Protected circuit or not. You can't put a price on saftey. Another plus for the Provari IMO.

13. DanaK

DanaK Guest

Fazed I really enjoyed your shoot out review. I agree that there are additional pros and cons about both mods like the ones Skorne42 mentioned as well as the stacked batteries mentioned by JBTX1. The one other thing I would add is the lighter weight and the ease of tweaking is why I currently own 2 BuzzPros.

14. UB

UB Guest

I appreciate all the constructive criticism. I really do! It will make subsequent videos even better because I will have the tools to fine tune my reviews.

One point of contention, and I feel ECF has much to do with this as anyone, is the fear of stacked batteries. The problem with stacking batteries lies in the max current draw or C rating of the batteries. If batteries with a low C rating are stacked, more work (higher voltage and current draw) is being demanded from those batteries than would be if they were a stand alone cell. Stacking batteries increases the maximum voltage, but rated capacity remains the same. Cheap, low C batteries can't handle the current draw required (say to drive a DCC at 3.6A) and that's where we get in trouble. If a mod has protection built in such as over current, over heat, short circuit, reverse battery protection, and as a final failsafe adequate venting (all of which the Buzz Pro has), and you use the proper batteries with an adequate C rating recommended by the manufacturer, then you have a safe mod, that happens to use stacked batteries.

Single cell tube mods aren't immune from potential danger either. All batteries, whether Li-ion, protected, unprotected, ICR, IMR, LiFePO4, whatever, have the potential to fail. It goes with the territory when you design a device to chemically store energy. There are safer batteries to use in single battery mods that require high current draw. The same C rating and device protections come into play here as well. There is a reason ProVape recommends the IMR high drain.

Best practice: buy mods that have multiple protections built into them, and adequate venting to protect you if those protections fail. Always use the the recommended type of batteries that the manufacturer recommends, and don't skimp. Buy the best you can afford. It's cheap insurance.

I consider both the Buzz Pro and ProVari two of the safest mods on the market today for the reasons described above.

15. jeff_rulz_

jeff_rulz_ Guest

Fazed very nice review of both PV's, i had similar thoughts as Skorne. Yes the Buzz beats the Provari in the ability to drive a LR DCC at higher watts/amps/volts.
    I can also buy an inexpensive Lava Tube and it for half the price of the Buzz will give me similar results(i.e.: no I have not tested the lava tube) it's just another VV tube mod on similar construction.
    For Features I think the Provari has way more going for it, adjusting your Voltage/Wattage blindly by "Taste" yeh I get it but most Peeps really want to know what wattage/voltage their vaping at.
    Nothing against Notcigs at all I've never held a Buzz, I've only seen and held a Provari for a short time and the build quality was superb! The machining and fit and finish where outstanding.
    Being able to get different end caps to allow different type 901,808 etc will actually boost the price up of the device. In reality you will order the PV with one end cap in your choice most likely and thats where you'll be. Most folks use 510 connection and adapters are really cheap $$.
    For entry level to mid level vapers or someone on a limited budget the Buzz looks to be a great choice.
    I myself after more than 2 yrs vaping like to have something that feels like it's made very well and will hold up over time. i.e.: my first Mod a Silver Bullet I still have it and use it everyday now that I have a "Kick" in it.
    Along with several other High end Mods.

I would have left out the other comparisons if all you wanted to get across was the Buzz can drive a LR DCC better than the Provari, i think the prover ended with a 4-1 score personally.

Vape On loved the review please do not take this wrong, just giving some feedback :)

CV

16. zeropulse

zeropulse Guest

Umm, not quite. The LT has an upper limit of 2.5 amps and has been well documented in it's inability to drive LR DCC's.

Maybe... I haven't polled "most people." Personally, I like the dial to taste. Also, with the colored hash marks on the dial, I know within a few 10ths of a volt where I'm vaping at. However, I also like the features of the ProVari. I like the atomizer ohm and battery remaining display features on the ProVari. But regarding the ability to drive LR DCC's (the purpose of this video) they are irrelevant features. Nice but not necessary.

If offering more options make it more expensive, then why is it $70 cheaper than the ProVari? I agree that the generally accepted standard is the 510, but there are people out there that prefer something other than a 510, and don't want to fool with adapters.

I would consider the Buzz Pro to be a high end device as well. NOt as expensive as the ProVari, but not a cheaply made piece of junk like the lavatube either. It's not a entry level or mid level PV as you claim. I feel it's a great choice regardless of where you are in the experience spectrum.

I have been vaping a year now. I don't consider myself a novice by any means. I have owned, tested, and reviewed many mods from the cheap to the most expensive. I too want something that will hold up over time. I know that my ProVari will hold up, as it has lasted a year so far without so much as a hiccup. The only time it went back to ProVape for service was to get the V2 upgrade. I have no reservations about the Buzz Pro as far as durability is concerned either. I own several NotCigs products and have never experienced a single issue with any of them. They are stout and well made devices. Considering you say you have never held or used one (your words), are you the best qualified to make a statement as to the durability of said device?

I also have a Kick, and will be reviewing it in several devices coming soon.

That we can agree on. I should have kept it solely to the realm of the ability to drive DCC's and left the rest out... except cost... I feel that is always relevant. and it was 3-1 and a draw. ;)

I'm not taking what you said wrong. Like I said before, I don't mind constructive criticism. It helps refine future endeavors.

Thanks for your response and keeps vaping!

17. Very good review . It is nice that the buzz pro can beat the provari in handling a dual coil . Only thing i will say is that some things were left out which to me is part of the decision for me .

1. The Provari only needs one battery . Not only that but you can use different size batterys so thats a big plus for customizable. A 18650 should have better battery life then the buzz.

2. The Provari has a higher max voltage when running sr cartos and dont quote me on this but i think a lower lowest voltage for running LR stuff . The accuset is also a big point expecially since the buzz doesnt have a display so you wont know how much of a drop there actually is without a seperate meter

3.The provari reads battery voltage and atomizer ohms . This is a awesome feature that also adds to price and removes the nessesity for a DMM

3 Price: The Provari is a much higher quality circuit which costs a lot more to manufactur as well as has a microcontrolled menu and display and higher cost to manufacture machining of the tube. Totally worth that extra price so its not really a even comparison. It also gives error codes telling you what the problem is.

4 Looks: Provari has the light up and smoother fire button ,not a big deal but i personally like it. The provari has a sleek and solid top cap and recessed connector with drip well. Looks much better with a tank imo . A tank on the buzz makes it look like its floating. Also even with a 901 etc adaptor the connector will sit at the same height as the buzz. Little things but was part of my decision.

The new Provari mini would be my pick if they make a third extenstion cap . It would be sweet to have a option to run a 18350/18490/18650. I totally appriciate the review though and it is nice to see the comparison with the dcc's

The main thing i see in comparison posts is some people like the wheel because its fast and other like the menu/display . I personally think after the first 5 min of using the vari you got that menu down so good that the difference in adjusting the voltage is within a second. I will agree and always thought my self that navigating through the menu would be a pain but once you try it your like "oh thats not bad at all"

18. sofiaj

sofiaj Guest

I don't know why, but I get much better battery life out of the 2 RCR123A's in the Buzz than I do the 18650 in the Provari. My guess is that the 2 smaller batteries being bucked down aren't working as hard, and that the solitary 18650 is being boosted, and that more voltage and current is being drawn from it, causing it to discharge faster than the 1 hour per 100 mAh rule of thumb.

Agreed. The ProVari voltage range is 2.9v - 6.0v with accuset, which is nice. I'm a big fan of it! The Buzz Pro voltage range is 3.3-5.6v unloaded and 3.2-3.5v loaded. There is about a 0.1v drop with a standard single coil, and about a 0.2v (+/-0.05) drop using dual coils. Playing with the device, you learn it's behavior pretty quick.

No argument there, except as what was stated earlier... with regard to the device's ability to drive a LR DCC, those features are irrelevant. Also, while those features might be worth the extra $70 to you, they might not be to the next guy. Personally, I love my ProVari, and regularly use those features.

I agree... That is why the ProVari won that part of the shootout.

I'll be picking up a mini Vari as soon as they start shipping them... Can't wait!

Agreed. Remember when the LavaTube came out and everyone and their brother, most of whom had never even been in the same room as a ProVari, much less ever held or used one, was decrying the menu system on the Vari as an example of why the LT was better? That was one of the things I mentioned when I compared those side by side: after just 5 min with the device, a new user can set the ProVari in his sleep. It's not hard, it's not cumbersome.

Damn I'm long winded... Shit dude, sorry about that... Thanks for your comments, keep them coming...

19. M.V

M.V Guest

It is the PWM on the BP that increases the batt life. It pulses the 6.4v flow to get the equivalent of what ever voltage you set instead of resisting it down and just burning off the excess in heat.

20. Whatever.

Whatever. Guest

Buzz Pro's way of regulating voltage is something like 97% efficient, Provari's is like 75%. I've owned both, sold the Provari because I was so disappointed with it's battery life. Just bought another Buzz Pro, though. Easily get 10 hours out of a set of batteries with it.