Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Mechanical mod metals

Discussion in 'Vape Mod Talk' started by Rio, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Rio

Rio New Member

my night time vape is a nemesis clone in brass

i love it, thinking of buying a non-clone of similar. but one thing i don't like is constantly needing to pull the sucker to pieces and douse in alcohol to keep up the performance.

am i wrong in thinking that this is related to brass tarnishing more harshly than other metals, so something like copper i'd need to service more, and stainless steel i could potentially neglect longer?

i like the look and weight of brass, but if stainless is going to serve me better, when upgrade time comes i might take that option

i clean it about once a week, my reo i get 2 weeks between cleans before i notice a difference

2. nyte

nyte New Member

That is one tough tradeoff. Stainless is not as good conductor, but requires virtually no maintenance. Brass will conduct better, but only if tarnish is periodically removed. Copper is an even better conductor, but tarnishes faster.

For ease of use, stainless is the clear winner, so if you can deal with a bit more voltage drop than brass, is the low maintenance king. If you are using sub ohm toppers, the extra maintenance that brass or copper requires may be worth it. What's great is that you can get an inexpensive stainless nemesis clone to compare before spending much. Worst case, you have another backup!

3. adilpatanker

adilpatanker New Member

I love my brass King and my brass chi-you but they are a pain to keep clean. If Im using a mech chances are you will see my SS King mod on my hand equipped with a kick. I like my VV and I don't sub-ohm hardly ever so I may not be the best candidate to answer your question. But those brass mods are a pain the
    ass/arse to keep clean for sure!!

I also should add that these are all clones, so just to keep it fair, there might be a slight difference in comparison to the originals when it comes to finish and metal composition.

4. Thanks guys, my logic kinda said similar, but I wanted to get expert confirmation. as 44046 said, I think I'll try a SS clone and see how it goes first.

5. RonwafIntonxkc

RonwafIntonxkc New Member

I bought a hcigar king clone in stainless steel

This is at the forefront of my mind since brass nemi is in being cleaned again and i like the tube mods at night over the reo

6. astation

astation New Member

Just got the black Stingray clone and, of course, it is all copper inside the black coating. Do I need to do something special to keep the inside clean? I am new to this type of composition and want to keep the pretty shiny in good working order.

7. Kalmeris

Kalmeris New Member

Honestly, keep the threads lubricated with Nolax, clean it with a contact cleaner now and again, and you should be fine. Water and humidity are the big things you need to watch with these mods. Keep your fingers off the connections as much as you can to keep the corrosion minimal and you will be fine.

8. nguyen5966

nguyen5966 New Member

brass and stainless difference in conductivity is less than %0.01
    There is basically no difference in conductivity.
    Brass does smooth out quicker if you get knocks and bumps on threads.

stainless develops a layer of chromium oxide that stops it from rusting.

If you like how stainless looks, only buy stainless. I do.

edit> forgot, you'll lose a minuscule amount on threads with stainless too (not worth worrying about). Same happens when brass starts to oxidise. Stainless is best.

9. badhabyt

badhabyt New Member

stolen from somewhere else because I'm too tired to redo the numbers

^ that should be at least halved again. Anyway power loss (not voltage drop) will be so small, it does not matter.

10. pletcherqwk

pletcherqwk New Member

stainless is rocking my world, at first i wasn't sure b/c it is weighty, but after IDK how many weeks still no maintenance on the bugger

11. trai

trai New Member

:D It's nice to have one less thing to do, unless you enjoy polishing. Too bad I can't afford a vaping butler/maid/servant.

I give some threads on SS mod a quick wipe every other week. I've been meaning to hit them with an old toothbrush under hot water but never get around to it. More for visual appeal than conductance.

12. odosyLor

odosyLor New Member

first maintenance needed on SS mod today, and it was more the silver plated bronze contacts

upgrading reo contacts next week [those metals failed on me this morning]

13. nostrilburier

nostrilburier New Member

That took a while :)

bought infinite 4nine recently but using atom almost non stop.

Atom has brass pins. I don't polish. Firing pin polishes itself. Very interesting to see it gain greater contact with battery the more it's used and shows how much contact there really is by polished areas.
    I only wipe 510 pin now and then for the same reason.

A flat surface is not the best contact for battery. Slightly convex is good for firing pin to battery negative and 510 to flat top. Slightly concave for 510 to nipple top is good.

I've been using a VV kick that is very touchy about voltage drop. Only over the past few weeks has it started to preform perfectly because brass contacts are starting to take shape from long term use. It's kind of similar to grinding optical glass using another piece of glass.

Will probably take a year or two to fully polish to almost perfect contact.