Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Damn ss wick

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by smoopyvob, Oct 25, 2015.

1. smoopyvob

smoopyvob New Member

I Have gone through 4 ss wicks and about 15 coils in the last 4 hours I am FRUSTRATED to say the very least! WHY WONT YOU WORK ORION! I have manged not to put it through the wall but i don't know how much longer I can keep this up!

2. kremi1

kremi1 New Member

SS mesh wicks ? I'm having trouble too ATM. Their brilliant when functioning. I'm going to try folding the outer end back under and see if that works.

3. Miss Roo

Miss Roo New Member

hr are you using the wire that came with the mod?i ask as the v1 came with some wire that i used for the first time on the weekend and found it to be no where near what as good as .20 kanthal.low vapour and hot spots.it might be nichcrome not sure.

4. fotograf

fotograf New Member

Im using a1 32 awg kanthal just got one working sort of ~ Really harsh REALLY! I have had nothing but trouble with this thing i swear I have read every thread and watched every video nothing works im usually pretty good with this sort of thing but this is ridiculous! the amount of money ive spent on juices ss mesh, wire, the Orion Im starting to think its just a useless waste of money super disappointing. I wasn't expecting to get it first go or anything but im near giving up pretty much 6 hrs strait and Ive not had one decent vape on this thing!

5. AshconLivingston

AshconLivingston New Member

It's wicking well, I mean I can see juice bubling on the wick when its firing but it smells and tastes like acid. All coils are heating up evenly (all five of them) ARGH! I can't work out what im doing wrong?

6. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

When wet the coils shouldn't light up, if one does it is a short, though you probably know that. Also the air hole alignment to the wick is important, though I don't have an Orion,(Line's here).

RC

7. ZRafaela

ZRafaela New Member

I really need someone to show me in person how to do this so i can work out what im doing wrong .comse I've watched every freakin video online and seems as though its just burn, wet x 3 wrap hey presto best vape ever!
    BUT in reality for me its make now 6 wicks burn out 10 coils per wick and start again :( every now and then i think i've got it and it juset ends up tasting burnt and harsh to the point literally hurts. very frustrating!

8. Bye Bye

Bye Bye New Member

make sure you're not winding the wire too tightly or it can press through the carbonizing and short on the stainless steel mesh

9. coisadefazer

coisadefazer New Member

That could be it ill give that a try! thanks

EDIT Definatley made a difference but still burnt and acidic flavor hurts my thought! Managed to get it to 2.4 ohms

10. Luis

Luis New Member

Where are you located as someone nearby may be able to have a look and help?

Have a look in the Line thread as there maybe some tips there which may help.

Is the air hole directly next to the wick?

What voltage?

RC

11. alfredocases

alfredocases New Member

most of us take 3 or 4 goes over a couple of days to get a genesis working well. In the end with the KAtana it was a combination of air flow (which required the mod to be adjusted) and just sticking to the basics around wick making.

Make sure to oxidise the wick really well with a blow torch, and then dip in pg and fire etc, hot spots will be be.comse your not oxidising the wick properly or the wick is too close to the posts probably.

its often the basics that let you down at first. Once you get it though wick building really is a breeze so stick with it.

12. bqgh9wbjs

bqgh9wbjs New Member

hr did you say 3 wraps of wire so two showing and three on the opposite side?i build all the 3.7volt coils with three and four showing which can vary from 1.5 ohm to 2.2 ohms.i also use a piece of wire as a wick guide so i can get em as even as possible.just push the wire about with toothpick if theres a short.you will get there.

13. WeeD

WeeD New Member

update HR? how's it all going? any success yet?

14. рромва

рромва New Member

Agree with everyone else. The coil wraps are very important. Make sure it's not to tight that it's choking or making changesminnthenshape of the wick and not loose enough to slide freely and not making proper contact. It's a hard task getting basics right. I was having the same problem with the katana but I think I have gotten there. I am more than happy to skype or FaceTime you on iPhone or IPad to see what you are doing and help from there.

15. lomdsofifdzm

lomdsofifdzm New Member

You may be using too much SS mesh and rolling the wick too tight. This restricts the wicking process.

Try rolling a piece of about 22mm and whatever length you need.
    Use a straightened paperclip to allow a gap in the centre when rolling.
    Roll it up tight but not too tight.
    Oxidise the hell out of it!
    It should go in nice and easy into the hole. If you have to push hard it's too big. It shouldn't be loose though. If it is too tight, unwrap a little, chop some off, roll it back up and oxidise again.

Use a lighter to heat your Kanthal first!
    Wind your coil tight but don't allow it to be restrictive to the wick.
    Use 3/4 turns.
    Make sure the wire running to the posts is straight. If it's bent, you'll end up with hotspots between the post and mesh.

The first mL of juice is quite harsh in terms of throat hit. If your not getting hotspots, just stick with it, it will mellow down soon enough.
    If it's too harsh to handle just fire it up with the cap off for a bit. Fire it for 5 second intervals every 5-10 seconds.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what's wrong and it might be worth throwing it through the wall. :p

16. moo

moo New Member

How much are these devices to buy that you guys are having troubles with? Surely it's not worth the headaches? I mean, once they're running correctly, what do they do that other PV don't?

17. aaaaaa

aaaaaa New Member

the flavour and vapour from a genesis atty is pretty much unbeatable, and that's just using a 3.7 volt device. that's not to say that nothing else is any good - be.comse there is plenty of stuff out there that is just great. but once you get the hang of a genesis - it's kind of in a class of its own. frustrating as hell to begin with, but once you've cracked it you understand what all the fuss is about.

18. phosilt

phosilt New Member

Yes as Giruvian (Ingrid) stated, the vapor production and flavour is in a class of its own. They are only frustrating for the first week or so until you learn how to make and wire your wicks, after that they only take a few minutes to make and you dont have any issues any more. Its also nice that you are not reliant on atomiser suppliers anymore, and can whip a new wick up quickly easily and cheaply whenever you want.

That being said I still use other devices/atomisers, around 50% of the time , although it does take me a while to get used to inferior vapor and flavour again. I guess on the negative side they in general are fairly large devices, so i dont use them out and about, and sometimes its just easier to grab a new atomiser out of the cupboard than to make your own wick.

19. lazxque4y

lazxque4y New Member

Yeah for me, at the moment anyway, it's all about ease and convenience. I'm sure however as time progresses, that will change :)

20. bevasusasda4370

bevasusasda4370 New Member

When they function right, which can take a frustratingly long time to figure out, they kick ass for vapor production and the taste of your juices, it's like taking exctasy without the music when you vape without a genesis, it's completely different