Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Bottom Feeder approach - feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Tonswody, Sep 23, 2015.

1. xbKrdXsLIF

xbKrdXsLIF New Member

Yes the bottom cap will be removable. Still undecided about removable batteries given the 45 min charge time and no springs/contacts to worry about.

2. dtxn011jv9h

dtxn011jv9h New Member

Should be able to get a marine oval alu tube 38 x 20 x 1.5wall, and 50 x 25 x 1.5wall. being a standard section there would probably be matching endcaps. Yacht riggers may have offcuts available as well. Just a thought anyway

3. Vennice D

Vennice D New Member

hey john any updates on the above?pretty keen on this.

4. zamura

zamura New Member

Seems it'll be way to expensive to machine the lot from aluminium. There are some flat-oval extrusions as gaz suggested but they are just a tad small or way too large. I'm trying to get a quote atm for a case (with fixed bottom) in stainless and if that comes in ok I'll look at options for the top section.

Have to admit the proto has become my all day vape as it's so easy to fill or change juice. Works best with std or high resistance as LRs give the 18350s a hard time resulting in less time between charging.

5. Blake

Blake New Member

two options as i see it John, there is plenty of rectangular section around, even possibly bunnings, if you went steel you could get them powder coated or sprayed in a body shop for a top grade finish, if you end up with aluminum there are home anodizing kits eg http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html . I think the reogrand is testament that a box looking mod in spiffy colour choices is just as win as a rounded tube. If staying with standard sections you will probably be able to access of the shelf top and bottom cast end caps which you can then Drill and cut to suit.

Second option would be to start with a round section of the right volume and flatten it into your rounded box section, use of heat and force should make the shape relatively easy to acheive. Depending on materials then apply the finishes above for the wow factor.

Im personally going down the rebuildable tank atty path on top of a standard JIB, but Clockworks also makes a rebuildable dripping atomizer whose concept could be adapted to fit with your mod for the ultimate bottom feeder mod produced in house, Id be up for one of them.

GaZ

6. FiFi

FiFi New Member

I've already looked at the options you've suggested GaZ including looking around bunnings and on a zillion web sites for suitable sections in both Al & SS. After the initial bricks I made in wood and comparing them to the rounded ones there is no way I'd consider a rectangular section, especially at 50x25 which is the smallest that will fit. I've also crunched the numbers on flattening a round section into a flat-oval. A 32mm dia tube needs to be stretched too far and 38 dia increases both the width & depth by ~7mm.

What I want to end up with is a mod that's smaller than the rounded woody. The internal section I want is 2 half circles of 9.3mm radius, spaced 21mm apart. If the case was 0.9mm stainless then the outside dimensions would be 41.4 x 20.4mm compared to 48x24.7 for the rounded woody

7. mudpuppie_80

mudpuppie_80 New Member

http://www.onesteel.com/images/db_images/productspecs/EzyForm.pdf steel 45.5 x 25 flat sided oval in steel was the closest I could find, yeah you are right, not an easy task, there is a 48x19 as well, maybe the extra room suits a more rotund battery giving back some battery life. Steel + powdercoat, Steel + chrome would look nice

If you cant use a readily available section can you form one from sheet alu or steel?

good luck with the hunt interested as always

GaZ

8. mimntwi2q

mimntwi2q New Member

I've also seen that pdf before in my searching. There aren't too many battery options besides the 18350's. Only other I've considered is a 1300mAh Lipo, 2 off which will have a 30x17mm section which would make the mod about 55mm wide. Apart from machining, the only other options for the case are fab from sheet, casting or injection moulding in plastic.

9. poisoned

poisoned New Member

Hey John

I have been using bottom feeders for a long time now and like the design, it works well. However, sometimes juice is spilled from the well (catch cup) and runs down the side of the mod. This happens when the mod is laying on its side or even just slightly tilted while being held. My Ali'i actually failed multiple times be.comse juice found its way into the electronics. My REO hasn't suffered the same fate be.comse it is completely mechanical but a mod covered in juice is still annoying, not to mention wasteful.

This got me thinking about the catch cup and I have come up with a new design (I haven't seen this anywhere else). See this picture i made and let me know what you think.

http://tinyimg.comoj.com/show-image.php?id=c155f77f61f452171346da3fa0b9e85a

I would love to hear your thoughts on this design.

Cheers.

10. FMAnthonn

FMAnthonn New Member

yer this is the problem i had with my abs excess juice runs into switch.this would be a good idea.or use a dca 306 drip cup if they are any good.

11. CecilaX1

CecilaX1 New Member

Nice idea bagurk. Could this be implemented by using an ego style connector and cone?

12. Ptah

Ptah New Member

I dont think so

13. theoria

theoria New Member

Something like the removable cap on the 510N would work if it were inverted but it wouldn't look too pretty.

14. darkavenger

darkavenger New Member

discussed the ego adapter and cone on irc last night, I think it would work fine with 2 things, a longer needle to suit and more importantly .. an adapter with a hole thru the middle, the ones I bought got no hole, not tried to dismantle and check as I have no bottom feeders worth worrying about. (one revo 2 .. yawn)

15. monaTyday

monaTyday New Member

After exploring numerous options for the case I've found this 38x25mm aluminium extrusion with 3mm radius edges so it's quite comfortable to hold. Top & bottom covers are made from black ABS. It's a little taller than the other 2 I've made at 90mm but this allowed a slightly longer syringe that now can hold 4.8ml of juice. It uses a 510 to EGO adapter directly as the connector and this allows an EGO cone to be used as catch cup. This mod is fitted with 2x1200mAh 18350s. Now to decide on paint, powder coating or anodising.....thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DAR

DAR New Member

Thats pretty cool. I might be interested in getting my hands on one of these. Is it variable voltage?

EDIT: also, what kind of atomizers can it take when using the cone? 306?

17. migeElite

migeElite New Member

This as with all my mods is variable power (4 to 12 watts). I don't have any 306 atties to try in this but any 510 should work and I'd imagine 306 as well. However I wouldn't recommend using anything less than about 2 ohms. HV atties would be the best choice for this mod to maximise battery life.

18. wasteddays

wasteddays New Member

Awsome. When do they go on sale?

19. Queenmargot33

Queenmargot33 New Member

As soon as I figure out how to cover the bare aluminium

20. dyeer

dyeer New Member

Anodised, powder coated, fine brush plus clear, paint, would be my preference of finishes, definately up for one of these, with the a Lu case is the syringe remove able for non bottom feed operation?