Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Bottom Feeder approach - feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Tonswody, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Tonswody

Tonswody New Member

I've been thinking about how to add a bottom feeder to my variable power mods. If I replace the 2 side by side 18650s with 2 vertically stacked 18350s I can then fit part of a 10ml syringe where one of the 18650s was. The approach shown below will give about 4ml capacity with dispensing and filling done by sliding a tab connected to the syringe plunger. The syringe is connected to a 16g luer-lok canula that goes through the 510 connector as juice injector. To fill, a small bore flexible tube is connected to the injector and into a juice bottle. Comments please....

Edit: to refill the tube is not needed. A juice bottle can be connected directly to the injector

[​IMG]

2. Empiffcep

Empiffcep New Member

looks pretty good john.slot running up the face of the box?why not just a 10 ml bottle with a thumb hole in the front like the reo?anyhow thats my 2 cents.

3. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

i think the only problem is if it is a locked down mod where you cant maintain it?

4. Starla_C

Starla_C New Member

Yes a slot in the face of the box for the plunger tab. I thought about the squeeze bottle approach but that complicates the box in that the bottle has to be removed to refill so you'd end up with a removable cover and there's more likelihood of a juice spill inside.

5. breextult

breextult New Member

I guess that's the idea behind my approach with mods so far....ie: no maintenance. The syringe can still be flushed without removing it.

6. Frank002

Frank002 New Member

so its a manual feed pressing up a syringe, have you thought about using the head of a peristaltic pump (or a diy one they arent complicated) with a thumbwheel attached rather then a motor, it could be fed from a standard 10 ml bottle and the hose would be very easily replaceable, youd quickly learn how many turns to feed x drops, and you could optionally have 2 feed paths to suit to and bottom feeding. All the plastic pieces in contact with the juice could be easily and cheaply replaced for flavour change or cleaning.

My thoughts anyway, interesting

7. Stephen Jess

Stephen Jess New Member

Yes I've considered pumps including peristaltic (I have designed these in a past life) but unless tooled up with injection moulded parts the cost would be prohibitive and I haven't found any small enough off the shelf.

8. luizccs66

luizccs66 New Member

9. Gatrida

Gatrida New Member

Nice find Gaz but to fit just the pump head I would need to make the mod 20mm wider and 10mm deeper. Found this one that's a bit smaller and costs 7 pounds for the head only but it's still larger than I'd like...

http://www.wmcpumps.com/pdf/100_without_motor_drg.pdf

10. skywinners2012

skywinners2012 New Member

yeah and in reality thats probably as small as they come prebuilt at hobby prices, what about pumping air into a sealed juice bottle to displace juice up the feed tube with a small primer bulb and one way air valve.

Just throwing ideas out there

11. ptmkznrwpy

ptmkznrwpy New Member

i would love one k thx

12. lowerrider

lowerrider New Member

You Plagiarising Spammer, GET OUT OF OUR FORUM!!!!

13. skipper_danny269

skipper_danny269 New Member

are they bots? lol
    i like how its selecting sentences to put together and it actually makes sense

just a question johnny
    with the side slots, how were you going to make it work with a standard 10ml bottle?

i understand the concept with a standard syringe tube

14. MizShile

MizShile New Member

:Swoon: jib feeder

*cough*3ml bottle would be fine for a mini *cough*

15. spounny

spounny New Member

I quite like the idea John, - the benefit of your design over the thumb press design is that (a) you use every last drop of your juice, (b) you have a constant pressure thing going on (unlike some bottom feeders where getting juice up when the bottle gets low is a pita, and (c) it's different - like your VW boxes. I reckon you would either have to build it (the feeding mechanism) very high quality - so it was seriously reliable, or make them cheap enough so that if it crapped itself after a few months care factor wouldnt be too high. Other thing I would think about is making it (dont know how - youre the design genius), so it had some kind of safety mechanism on the slide so you couldn't accidentally pump 4ml of juice into your pants by accident. Innuendo intended.

16. pasyaerkzo

pasyaerkzo New Member

It's actually copied floorzone's reply verbatim. I wasn't planning on using a 10ml bottle. It will use a cut-down 10ml syringe but be.comse of how it works it will only hold 4ml

17. aximusjnra3382

aximusjnra3382 New Member

Trouble is that the VP design requires 2 batteries and I wouldn't like to go any smaller than the 850mAh's in the mini so it would need to get bigger to fit a juice feeder

18. David D

David D New Member

One of the reasons I don't want the syringe to be removable is reliability. I built up this proof of concept and it works very well. By keeping the slider tab low enough in profile and the fact that the syringe has quite a bit of stiction means it's unlikely to pee in your pocket. It's also very quick to change juice...can do it in less than 30 secs.

[​IMG]

19. hecevls1p

hecevls1p New Member

Looks good but still needs to be removable bottom cap if the syringe gets gunked up after a month and peforms like poo or something you would want to be able to replace it yourself, i know how much you wanted to have closed mods but also the thing i love about my PV is that i can remove the batterys when there flat and chuck in a set i charged up earlier while the others recharge. I used to take 2x 1000mah ego's and 1x buzz pro with 2 880mah batterys to work just be.comse i knew i would run one flat, i now prefer to carry extra batts than an extra PV.

20. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

Yes it will be rather pricey to get this design machined from solid. I have searched for suitable tube but not found any yet. One option I'm looking at is forming the shape from stainless steel tube and use cnc'd aluminium end caps.