Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

APV vs Mechanical (an introspective)

Discussion in 'Vape Mod Talk' started by Dolory, Jun 17, 2015.

1. unhvjsowhizj

unhvjsowhizj New Member

So... this only applies to boost mods, I presume?
    All my VV mods (so far) are stacked batt designs, so no pwm and even less current draw? I don't really know much about electronics :(

If current draw is an issue with mechanical designs, maybe high C rated LiPos would be more appropriate then IMRs? Lower energy density, but higher current and lower impedance.
    Maybe we'll all be using ultracapacitors eventually, and amp draw won't matter....

2. cancel352

cancel352 New Member

I have had the worst truly mechanical mod/APV (Galileo). I prefer regulated especially now that I am using a genesis because if I was using a mechanical the voltage is only consistent for instances. With my BP and ProV the voltage does not drop or start higher than I want it.

3. saurav

saurav New Member

Or flux capacitors... vape and time travel at the same time.

4. amit86500

amit86500 New Member

yuuup..ego uses mosfet technology and provari use [?] to get a constant dc current output,so the vape is constant from star to finish,,thats all i need to know

5. unhvjsowhizj

unhvjsowhizj New Member

The ProVari does not use PWM. Some ego type devices don't either. Some are PWM at higher voltage ranges and flat at lower ranges.

6. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

Actually, it does:

Frequently Asked Questions

AFAIK, It just uses a better filtering circuit than the cheaper mods. So, it has a smoother output. :)

7. MightyHyphy

MightyHyphy New Member

Wow, well I never knew.. It sure doesn't seem like pwm since I can get a reading with a screw on volt meter but ProVape should know lol.

8. I love him <3

I love him <3 New Member

Quote from Frequently Asked Questions :
    "Does the ProVari use PWM? (pulse-width modulation)

Yes, the ProVari is using PWM technology"

The ProV uses a filter stage after the regulator stage to produce a flat output. I wonder if maybe all PWM devices shouldn't have an output filter. I donno. It's not like it's a complex or expensive circuit.

EDIT: Turtles Are Slow! Thanks, CaFF!

9. NureBoosque

NureBoosque New Member

btw,,yoiur poll is lacking,,not enough options :D

there are quite a few that use strictly ego batts and nothing else,because they are happy with those,hell i still use mine regularly ,ones i bought back in Aug 2011,,that is not a typo either

10. mesumdude

mesumdude New Member

I'll forgive just about anybody 70x7 times....
    But I do appreciate the quick turn around time...

And you misunderstood what I wrote there, I meant for you to understand this, "Unless THE CURCUIT they're using, USES BOTH an adjustable frequency AND AN adjustable duty cycle AT THE SAME TIME.... Then all bets are out the window!"

As for teachin' my daughter how to say "Asshat", I'm pretty sure she knows that word by now.
    She just turned 26!
    :laugh:

11. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

Wait a minute....
    Isn't this thread in the "General Mod Chat" forum??? ;)
    Sorry it was lacking, but I felt it was on topic...

New poll:

What's your primary portable power source:

a) Manual
    b) APV
    c) Ego
    d) 510
    e) Car battery w/wheels
    f) Wife's personal hand held defibrillator device

LOL...

12. PeteTheELite

PeteTheELite New Member

K) all of the above

anything for a little vapor.

13. Eldarqq

Eldarqq New Member

Now this is a fun and entertaining thread. I am sure I have never laughed out loud while reading a thread on PWM vs straight DC.

Personally, I see an improvement with straight battery power vs unfiltered PWM VV/VW devices. I don't have a filtered DC device, but I would assume they would show similar improvements. By improved, I mean by controlling the warm up and duration of the vape, I can adjust the warmth and taste. And it is smoother and richer. This is subjective obviously, and maybe I have just become conditioned to it. I run very low ohm genesis setups with mechanical mods, and I just cannot get as satisfying a vape using PWM devices. Don't get me wrong - I still use and enjoy the PWM devices (VV and VW). I love them, especially while driving or on the go. They are more consistent and more convenient IMO. But when I want to sit back and hammer a nic buzz I reach for my genny rig.

In other words, if I could get my car to run on ejuice, I would sit in the garage with the engine running until I passed out.

14. venu

venu New Member

Advanced buck regulators also use PWM, it's more efficient.

A Mosfet does not regulate voltage. A Mosfet is an electrical switch, it allows you to use a small tactile trigger switch while the Mosfet takes the majority of the amp load.

15. Julie loves Hoochieboy!

Julie loves Hoochieboy! New Member

i don't know about all that,but the ego gives me a consistent vape until the batt is dead,,good enough for me

16. purplecrazyy

purplecrazyy New Member

Well, It's all good to me. I like the variety of devices and capabilities. :)

But, I doubt any regulated mod can do this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is 1.0 ohm worth of 28 Kanthal 3/4 wrapped around a LOT of 400 SS for a wick on my IGO-L dripper atty.

It's off the chain...it wicks faster than I can vape it...:cool2:

17. meeramol29

meeramol29 New Member

My BP will fire at 1 ohm, the lowest I can get the Provari to fire is 1.2..also I use dripping atties at 1-1.5 sometimes dual coils on my twist and revolver as well as the ego devices I have. I don't think you're supposed to run that low on ego devices though.

18. Big

Big New Member

I've run 1.2 on my ego batts before,,good way to tell the knock-offs from the real thing,,knock-offs can't handle more then 5 sec hit ,,ego will time out

19. lolicongirl

lolicongirl New Member

I've run 1.2 ohm coils at around 5 volts, but few liquids taste good at that level (strong mint flavors being the exception for me). It's kinda fun as an experiment, but the atty heats up to scalding temperature quickly, and its best to tilt the mod so you don't dry hit. I don't recommend using metal drip tips if you try it(HOT!).
    OKR mods deliver all the power you could possibly need. Buzz Pro is better with 1.8-2.5 ohm coils for me.

20. sapna022

sapna022 New Member

Regulated mods can't do this either...0.3 ohm quad coil.

[video=youtube;y5gNxn43qUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5gNxn43qUM[/video]