Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

What's the difference in higher end tanks?

Discussion in 'Vape Tank Talk' started by AboveTheSmoke, Feb 18, 2016.

1. AboveTheSmoke

AboveTheSmoke Active Member

Device:
    Volcano All Day
    Juice:
    Lock Shock & Barrel
    I've seen some expensive tanks floating around on random google ads and things like that...why are some of these so expensive, upwards of 2-10x the price of the average tank? It doesn't seem like they're worth it, doesn't seem to be any noticeable upgrades...is this just a cosmetic thing? Fairly new to vaping and just curious.

2. npatel2

npatel2 New Member

Device:
    Eiffel T1 165w
    Juice:
    Tiger Stripe from True Drips
    To answer your question simply the more you start to spend on mods and tanks you will start to notice that you get more vapor production, and flavor power, more options, more safety, other features that come along with it. So in essence if you spend more yes you may see some cosmetic upgrades with the product, but most likely your going to see the difference in quality.

oportosanto and AboveTheSmoke like this.
  3. AboveTheSmoke

Device:
    Volcano All Day
    Juice:
    Lock Shock & Barrel
    Ah I see, I figured there was some kind of quality difference, but they don't really sell that type of stuff with facts/details very much. Personally, if I had a higher end tank and I knew it outperformed the competition, I would have stats all over the place, but it seems like a lot of these just market the cosmetic side...might even be a huge market for snake-oil, high-end tanks that don't do anything but look pretty from the looks of it @_@

4. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

Device:
    Vape Pen Endeavor
    Juice:
    Churrios
    Pretty much, not only the cosmetic upgrade, but also how effective the vapor production is. Also, if we have a plastic setup and we change, let's say, to an evod style pen, that says pretty much. So we are spending more indeed, but we are getting more flavor and we feel better about it.

5. Pablo Diaz

Pablo Diaz Member

Device:
    Vaporfi Platinum Pro
    Juice:
    Vaporfi afternoon delight
    Preferences, personal disposable income, status, etc etc.

Many people will always prefer to spend cash on an original design in a country they may love to give their hard earned money back into their own local place of origin's economy. Also, the high end gear usually has better machined tolerances(not always) and may use superior/safer grade of metal, where as the Chinese equivalents may be suitable but it is also a gamble with their mystery metal alloys. Some people also feel inclined with their morality to support the original manufactures if it is regarding clones.

For the most part, you'll get really well thought out engineering with higher end RTAs. You can pull your coils out of the newest Kayfun without dropping your juice out. You can also put your liquid in easily at the top. Overall you'll get a better, precisely engineered product. You won't find metal shavings, wonky threads, and other various stuff. All the metal will be machined well, and the metals will be high quality. Arguably the higher end stuff looks more unique as well.

6. GamerLady

GamerLady Member

Device:
    Kanger Subox Mini, Tesla Two Submod
    Juice:
    I'm just going to add my two cents to this conversation... I've never owned a "clone" or "knock-off." There have been times that I have been tempted, but one of the things that I've noticed is that some of the lower-end clones replace the glass in the tanks with plastic. While I have yet to vape anything that would crack a plastic tank, it's nice to know that I don't need to worry about it. I also don't need to worry about sneezing on a poor quality glass tank and cracking it.

For me, it's not just flavor or cloud production issue; it's a safety issue. Does anyone really want to worry about their purse, pants, or shirt catching on fire because of some low-grade equipment? What about the potential for damage to a person's house, property, or individuals if something goes wrong? I'll happily spend an extra $40 to be reasonably assured that something like that won't happen when I treat my equipment responsibly. I am not sure that "clones" or lower-grade equipment can offer that same assurance.

AboveTheSmoke likes this.
  7. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

Device:
    Vape Pen Endeavor
    Juice:
    Churrios
    That is an important issue you raise too GamerLady, it's all about safety sometimes because when we buy low end tanks we never know the quality that production had, so some flaw might be endangering our health.

8. AboveTheSmoke

Device:
    Volcano All Day
    Juice:
    Lock Shock & Barrel
    Nice, thanks for the replies guys.

I personally meant the extra-high end stuff lol. Quality is just normal expectation, some of these things are outrageously priced and don't really say much - I think the only one that made me go "oooh" was bulletproof glass with a zirconia trim, like that I understand, but some of these just look like regular ass tanks at 3x the price. Idk if people with money are just dumb, but if they are, I'm about to take all their dumb money and spend it on smart things, like pinatas.

9. GamerLady

GamerLady Member

Device:
    Juice:
    Ah, now I understand. I think that some folks in the vaping community consider certain brands and features as status symbols; like owning a certain model of vehicle is considered a status symbol. Do not get me wrong, I drool over certain cars and vaping gear; however, these items have features that I really do not need and am unwilling, or unable, to pay extra for.

It may seem frivolous and dumb to us, but some people consider it important. If that's what it takes to get some people to stop smoking, then who am I to judge?

10. AboveTheSmoke

Device:
    Volcano All Day
    Juice:
    Lock Shock & Barrel
    I think that's hilarious and speaks volumes about how people influenced by money actually think. I have seen and experienced some of this stuff, and there's almost no difference sometimes. What that tells me is that some of these people simply don't even question the price tag, they just aim for something that costs more than the average price. I think that would be a pretty interesting psychology topic to read through.

GamerLady and oportosanto like this.
  11. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

Device:
    Vape Pen Endeavor
    Juice:
    Churrios
    That's an idea many of us have, that is correct @AboveTheSmoke, we think that more expensive products many times mean more quality and that might be incorrect. At the same time it might also mean cheaper labout and less quality control... ;)

12. AboveTheSmoke

Device:
    Volcano All Day
    Juice:
    Lock Shock & Barrel
    Exactly, price tags without an understanding of the company are so worthless. You really have to know where what you're getting is coming from if you care about the money, I try to learn whatever I can about somewhere whenever I buy, and I'd say I do mayyybe 90~+% of the time? but sometimes its just impossible

13. GamerLady

GamerLady Member

Device:
    Juice:
    It's something that I learned about while I was in college studying business. I don't know if you've heard of it, but Maslow's hierarchy of needs does a good job of explaining this. I think that the reason why people feel compelled to buy the really expensive equipment would fall under the "aesthetic" and/or the "esteem" categories.

Besides all of that expensive stuff probably helps companies' R&D departments, which even helps those of us who don't care about perceived social status. Whenever I see someone who is caught up in that, I just think "Vape on! The money you're spending on a status symbol will help me get my hands on better gear and juices later on."

AboveTheSmoke likes this.
  14. AboveTheSmoke

Device:
    Volcano All Day
    Juice:
    Lock Shock & Barrel
    Thanks for that link - I have a ton of business/marketing skills through self education, but I'm still a bit of a frankenstein because I had to drop out due to quite the shitstorm of beauty, long story :) I'm pretty sure someone has linked me to it before, but when you're always seeking more information, a lot gets shuffled under the rug.

It's funny to think about in the context of R&D, like somebody was sitting in an office somewhere and eventually came to the conclusion that they could paint the tank off-gold and sell it for 20% more, that person is just my favorite.

GamerLady likes this.
  15. GamerLady

GamerLady Member

Device:
    Juice:
    I'm a college dropout myself. I was in for three years and had to leave due to finances; however, I got most of what I needed. My fourth year was about my senior project, another humanities course, and a business ops course... I'd knocked out all of the management, employment law, psychology, science, and communications classes that I needed to earn the degree. Fortunately, they can't pull the knowledge that I gained in college out of my head, so it's stuck there for good. :)

I'm betting someone in marketing came up with that idea.... I can just imagine it, "You know the tank that we are developing? Let's give it some bling and sell it for more to target wealthier customers with a 'higher-end' product!"

16. Personablue

Personablue Member

Device:
    PC
    Juice:
    Orange
    He couldn't have said it better. You not just get artificial cosmetic upgrades but also upgrades to the vapor quality and safety. Aftertaste improves and much more. Once you try the expensive set ups, it will be hard for you to come down though.

17. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

Device:
    Vape Pen Endeavor
    Juice:
    Churrios
    That is why sometimes I don't see this as spending a lot of money, but as an investment for something with quality. At the same time it doesn't mean the lower end don't have quality, some do, but are certainly inferior.

18. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

Device:
    Joyetech Ego One
    Juice:
    Atmos watermelon
    With higher end tanks, you just end up getting a much improved vaping experience. Better flavor, stimulating vaporization, and it just feels and tastes amazing. It is defiantly worth an upgrade if you have the money.

19. oportosanto

oportosanto Member

Device:
    Vape Pen Endeavor
    Juice:
    Churrios
    I agree with you, if we can afford luxury we should go for it because the experience is better, no question there!!

20. arvis

arvis New Member

Device:
    X6
    Juice:
    Banana Chocolate
    There probably are quite a lot of significant changes as stated by I don't think it's worth paying 10 times the price for a tank.