Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Help with Rebuildable Atomizer

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Mantlegen, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Mantlegen

Mantlegen New Member

Hey everyone,
    I love my Reo Grand and was looking forward to purchasing "The Chalice 2" by Mark Buggs.
    While waiting for stock to become available I decided to purchase an A7 rebuildable from Empire Mods, which is very similar to the Pheonix atomizer, a bottomfeeding friendly version I've been told.

Anyways, I've done alot of research and have made many coils/wicks but have miserably failed :(

I am using 32ga Kanthal A1 with 2mm silica wicks, purchased from vapebar.
    I have tried holding the wick against a straightened paperclip and wrap around 4-5 times but kept getting resistance on 3.0-3.5 on the multimeter.
    Be.comse I vape at 3.7 I wanted 1.5ohms.

Davelog at the ECF recommended that i Try doubling and twisting the wire to bring the resistance down. Which did work, coils read at 1.2-1.5 but I'm not getting vapour, I'm getting smoke :(

Any tips or advice? If I can't get it working on this $20 atomiser, there is no way I'm gonna drop $150 on a Chalice

Thanks in advance.
    Kev :)

2. oaquvak2t

oaquvak2t New Member

4 wraps of 32 normally gets it to around 1.7 ohm for me. Sounds like the twisted coil is burning the wick maybe. You have to keep silica wick wet constantly.

3. dobromir1

dobromir1 New Member

4 wraps? I'll give it a go.
    How tight do you wrap it? I usually wrap around the paperclip and wick then remove the paperclip after.

I understand that silica needs to be kept wet, but I'm still getting a burnt taste.
    I have cleaned the atomizer by boiling it so I know its not left over machine oil or lubricant (i learnt that the hard way lol)

btw, i just bought a chalice lol
    another user on the forum was selling one along with a RedSkyMods Cutlass II. I just sent her a deposit so I better learn how to do this shiet lol.

I just tried again using 4 wraps. 2.5 ohm. I'm wondering if maybe my local vendor sent me the wrong ga wire by mistake?

4. ramuh

ramuh New Member

Try 3 wraps

5. alcatrass

alcatrass New Member

Try zero'ing your Multimeter??

6. Elvis

Elvis New Member

You could use a good wattage meter
    To adjust ya coil to you preferred vape 12-15 watts is mine
    Ohm's Law Calculators

7. BeendenvedNub

BeendenvedNub New Member

I am thinking maybe it is the wire I am using.
    I was using 32g a Kanthal A1 from vapebar.com.com which is 0.16mm thick.

I did find a thicker wire to try from ecigmodshop.com.com. Is called No resistance wire and is reportedly 0.20mm thick.
    This one actually worked out much cheaper than vapebar at only $2 per meter.

I was just wondering where everyone was buying their 32ga kanthal and the thickness of the wire if known.

Cheers
    Kev

8. eguansbulg

eguansbulg New Member

well I've wrapped the chalice for you with 32awg kanthal. about 4 wraps I think, and it came in at 1.4ohms from memory. :)

9. JO-JO37

JO-JO37 New Member

I'm really keen to see how you've done it, as I kept getting 2.0-2.5ohms with my 32ga kanthal.
    Maybe its my cheap $10 ebay multimeter haha

10. Hi Kev, 0.16mm ط is 34g, not 32g which is 0.20mm ط ... and that No resistance wire is not meant to be used for a coil, you need resistance wire for that purpose.

11. tongbinhnguyen

tongbinhnguyen New Member

Hi there gtadmin,

Tim over at ecigmodshop told me that he gets 2ohms with 5 wraps using this wire.
    The description of the wire is "1 meter of 0.2mm Nickel No-Resistance Wire"
    So I can't use it for coiling wicks? I bought 3 meters of the stuff on Tim's advice lol
    What else can I use it for? Sending it back to them wouldn't even be worth the postage lol

12. Zoomer

Zoomer New Member

sell it on the classies. people that use iatty/ody/penelope use the no resistance wire.

13. Exittytrauddy

Exittytrauddy New Member

OK cool.

I'll chuck it on the classifieds a little later.

Just wondering where do you guys buy your 32ga kanthal from? Vapebar are 0.16mm as 32ga which gtadmin says is actually 34ga.
    I haven't found anywhere else yet to source it from locally.

Luckily I have your Cutlass II on the way, I can try using the 34ga on high voltage as I got my 18350 batteries in the post the other day ;)
    I've contacted RedSkyMods about getting another door for it, since it looks like its pink and very girly in the pic haha, just waiting for his reply.

14. yewknowit

yewknowit New Member

That would be the 34g (0.16mm) nichrome, yes? Sounds about right.

I bought 1 metre also, but it is used to join the coil to the battery terminals (which usually is the centre post of the atty +ve and the body of the mod -ve). Being low resistance, the heat generated in it is low. The coil is made from higher resistance wire and heats the most which is exactly what you want as this vapourises the eLiquid..

A picture would explain it better, I just don't have one at the mo' :)

really? For the coil?

15. kxqyabsiv

kxqyabsiv New Member

gtadmin, where do you get your resistance wire from?

16. JUSMI

JUSMI New Member

I bought 32g kanthral from an ebay seller. I bought 4m 34g Nichrome from Tim last weekend.

17. GEATTETAL

GEATTETAL New Member

Different application, but the red and blue wires are the no resistance wires.

18. mlwsnzsyku

mlwsnzsyku New Member

I saw a 100ft spool on ebay delivered from USA which I plan to order.
    But in the mean time are there any canuk vendors who sell 32ga?

19. kelly

kelly New Member

Wot, no like for all me work???