Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

WTF? Nicotine addition is like heroin addition

Discussion in 'Vape Talk' started by Smeabplap, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Smeabplap

Smeabplap New Member

Someone at work today (ex-smoker name John) said to me today. Yep, one more point of view of someone who knows nothing abt nothing, here we go...

--Start ex-smoker John's comments--

His view on ecig is like methadone.

Methadone is a great substitute for heroin addicts and if an addicts follows the doctors suggestions and slowly cuts back their dosage they will eventually kick the opiate habit.

But at the same time methadone is 100x worse for an addict and addicts would be better off having their hit of heroin than the dose of methadone. So he tells me I should smoke ecigs responsibly

--End ex-smoker John's comments--

My reaction: TBH, I didn't know what to say or how to react coz... well... um.... how the HELL does someone even start to compare heroin addiction to nicotine addiction? I just sorta laughed and walked away quickly..
    Thinking about it now, I should have grabbed his shoulders shake him and then walk away quickly.

Thanks for listening! Lols [emoji52]

2. king2uk

king2uk New Member

I've heard the same thing. The difference is I've never held up a 7/11 for a pack of smokes

3. Mancisa

Mancisa New Member

people just looooove to sound like they know something you dont. lol

my mum in law pulled that shit with me today.... not about drugs but acting like my ecig is SUPER offensive to her. Blah blah blah.
    ....Don't like it? Good. Dont let me stop you from leaving :) BYE BYE.

4. TiffNigh

TiffNigh New Member

i really dont give a rats about opinions.

Vaping got me off the durries and keeps me off.

Consequently my health and finances have improved markedly.

Therefore, farrrrrk you and yer opinion! :devilish:

5. 2lethal

2lethal New Member

I keep buying Vape gear so I'm yet to see the cost benifits hahaha

6. tjongucqrbai

tjongucqrbai New Member

[video=youtube_share;YmPL0ldKoz4]https://youtu.be/YmPL0ldKoz4[/video]

7. nungufax

nungufax New Member

Point your mate to this

As usual their is more to the picture

Dam those MAOI's

Dam my Steam Powered InterNet connection, someone beat me to it.

8. AguedaZar

AguedaZar New Member

I suspect I'm not the only one to have noticed that the serious jones'n for a smoke we used to experience on the durries doesn't occur with vaping.

There's no effing way I could make it past an hour without a smoke, and the realisation that I'd left the house without 'em caused instant panic. Now, I often go for a couple of hours without picking up a mod if I'm busy, and the sense of panic if I leave home without any kit doesn't occur.

This suggests that there other agents in smoke at play in driving the craving, not nic.

9. cakm

cakm New Member

dunno about that, I went and tried to quit vaping ...managed 24 hours before I caved and felt completely stoned/light headed from just a few puffs just like with trying to quit ciggies cold turkey and then having one. Pretty sure my addiction is nicotine

10. ginopinorino

ginopinorino New Member

Other agents - yes, absolutely. MAOI and nicotine interaction is something they've been aware of for a long time. It's also part of the "processing" of the tobacco - the chemicals used / added while processing the tobacco (ammonia was one, from memory) also lead to the nicotine being metabolised faster (it hits you hard and fast, then drops off just as quickly). Not only does it increase the addiction, it increased the frequency of redosing.

I believe the tobacco companies called it "shaping the customer experience" or something like that when questioned about it by the US government all those years ago.

When I was a smoker I did notice that the non-mass produced tobacco, although it tasted better, just had far less of a hit cravings-wise than the mass produced, processed out the wazoo and reconstituted from a slurry tobacco.

But while there are a lot of things other than nicotine in tobacco that are addictive (and things increasing the addictiveness of the nicotine) - nicotine is still addictive in and of itself. It's just not as addictive for most people when it's been isolated from tobacco.

However, there are still people (like myself) that are actually addicted to "plain nicotine". I get mine from vaping (obviously), but there are people with long term addictions to traditional NRT too. We just don't hear of them because there isn't a negative impact on their health (only on their wallet).

So yeah, it's a thing. Like how a lot of people drink alcohol, many do so regularly, but only a small percentage end up as alcoholics because something in their brain just makes the stuff really addictive for them.

11. dorukc

dorukc New Member

From reading science journals nicotine is even more insidious than heroin. With nic your brain develops synaptic connections TO facilitate the effects. Hence why if you smoked doing a particular task you'll feel the cravings more acutely when doing the same task without nic.
    Unlike heroin we're forever addicted, it's just that the withdrawal effects aren't quite as severe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. loser_hot_sexy

loser_hot_sexy New Member

I'm unaware of any science being done on nicotine until recently MCYL & what has been done lately shows nicotine to be no where near as addictive as once thought. Nicotine came up as non addictive on a recent test on Rats so the truth will come out in the future. On the recent tests with nicotine they seem to be putting it on the same level as caffeine.

13. soothisse

soothisse New Member

That's interesting, maybe the rats where just too stupid to make the connection between whatever they were ingesting to get the nicotine and the cravings they were feeling haha. It is definitely a highly addictive substance, you don't even need to look at it scientifically to realise there is no way you'd be sucking on those horrible tasting analogs if you weren't trying to get your fix. The comparisons to caffeine are valid in relation to its physiological effects, heart rate/blood pressure/appetite suppressant etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. fzwg2cvfvgw

fzwg2cvfvgw New Member

Not exactly, do some research on tobacco alkloids ... commonly called ATOSIT ;)

15. Cogsscoorge

Cogsscoorge New Member

Am not a believer in the addictiveness of nicotine at all - If you hunt around most studies will place nicotine in the context of a ciggarettes- not on its own - when people switch to vaping or snus the withdrawls are often the same as those quitting cold turkey - hence the average advice you will find on vaping forums everywhere is 'fight through it' 'be determined' etc etc - no different from any quit site

There is a difference between vaping and cold turkey - and it is a sticking point

With vaping you get the hand to mouth and mouth/ throat feel of having an analogue- Many new vapers will often vape furiously for a few weeks using thier vape pen as a dummy as symptoms of withdrawls pass through them - Once they find thier routine- many will drop the nicotine levels right down -so that many seasoned vapers vape zero or below 6mg of nic, which is often contrary to the level they actually smoked previously without issue or bumped up even

For many who struggle with vaping its the lack of chemicals in vaping that is a problem - there no ahh sensation like you get with an analogue

We are often told without scientific evidence that nicotine is addictive on its own - but there is no real proof of this

I have questions as to why NRTs are a basic fail if nicotine so addictive

I wonder sometimes about the notion of vaping/ nicotine and addiction - Are people addicted to the idea we are told that nic is addictive and so hang on to that? Are people addicted to the hand to mouth/ lung mouth hit that nic brings? Or is there something else? Why do some potential vapers fail even when thier gear is good and nicotine is high?

There are no real studies out there asking why vaping is effective- or really how addictive if at all is nicotine?

Its often said that studies of vaping is lacking- I do agree to a point- but only because research on vaping has mostly been lopsided or tied in with ciggarettes somehow - It would be interesting to see more about nicotine on its own and its role, if any in smoking addiction & cessation. It would also be interesting to see research done about what it is about vaping that keeps vapers vaping and not smoking

Vaping poses some curious questions - I dont expect to see any answers soon

16. Pro Teger

Pro Teger New Member

Device:
    JAC 510
    Juice:
    Apollo Tobacco Menthol
    I can't believe any one could even compare heroin addiction with smoking, it's not even close. As someone who has a bit of a background in medical science it's just plain dumb to even put them in the same level of damage they do to your body and society.

17. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    Wismec
    Juice:
    Eros
    I did hear that comparison, however it was more geared towards quitting: quitting smoking is harder than quit heroin.

18. Coming from someone who has been in the grip of a heroin addiction AND a nicotine addiction, the two are not comparable.

19. artyarson

artyarson Member

Device:
    e-cigarette
    Juice:
    cherry
    Nicotine addiction could be as severe as it's told to be. Ask some lifetime smokers. If they don't smoke in time to satisfy their needs, they involuntarily start suffering from withdrawal.

20. freezeloving

freezeloving New Member

Device:
    V2 Pro Series 3
    Juice:
    Anything menthol.
    Or better yet, tell him to pick up vaping and walk him through it. You'd be surprised at how quickly people change their minds after they get educated on a subject. His views probably come from some anti-smoking ads or books that in the end do more harm than good.

Ladyferoz likes this.