Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Would keeping mods & batteries cold affect them

Discussion in 'Vape Talk' started by brattylilsis25, Oct 19, 2015.

1. brattylilsis25

brattylilsis25 New Member

G'day all. We've had quite a few hot days here this past week, 40 degrees, & next month we usually get hotter days, up to 45+. A couple of times this week I've left one of my mods, the K100 mechy, in the car which got pretty hot as it was parked in the sun. When I went to the Men's Shed today I took the iStick 60 & Crown tank & after a couple of hours found the juice had thinned down considerably due to the heat. This caused a little of the juice to be sucked up while I was vaping on it. Wasn't too disgusting as it was Green Apple. When I got home I put the tank in the fridge for 1/2 hour & all was fine again.

Now to the subject of the title. This afternoon I bought an insulated lunch cooler bag & 2 Willow ice bricks from the IGA, & my idea is to put my vaping gear in this if it has to stay in the car on a hot day. In December on a couple of my prospecting camping trips I had my Innokin CoolFire 1 & a few Aspire ET-S clearos (was my first mod after the eGo & still haven't done a handcheck :eek-new: ) in a vinyl bum bag & on hot days put it in the camp fridge. That didn't do the CoolFire/battery any harm.

But what about the iStick or Kbox with batteries? Would having them in the lunch cooler with ice bricks hurt them?

2. Tazzer

Tazzer New Member

Id be putting the mods in a sealed lunchbox and then putting them in the cooler bag, just in case there is any moisture off the freezer bricks

3. christiannv2

christiannv2 New Member

As long as they don't get wet they should fine. Might be worth having some silica gel packs in there too to avoid condensation. Keeping them cool will be good - lithium ion batteries don't like heat!

4. carlos

carlos New Member

Thanks guys. The cooler isn't really big mallee, but I'm sure I'll have a suitably sized plastic container in the kitchen to put them in.

Silica gel packs, gotcha Tim, thanks.

Another thought. Would a ziplok bag be suitable to keep the moisture out? I have a few big enough to put the mod with tank attached into. And put the silica gel pack into this also.

5. Eldelm84345

Eldelm84345 New Member

Combining the ideas of Mallee & Tim I've come up with this solution. The bum bag I have is waterproof, so I can put the mods etc in that, then put the bum bag into the cooler bag on top of one of the ice bricks. And if the need arises there's enough height for the second ice brick to go on top of the bum bag. Just need to buy some Silica gel packs.

Took a quick shot yesterday before putting the ice bricks in the freezer. The cooler bag is 220mmL x 150mmW x 140mmH.

[​IMG]

One ice brick placed in the bottom of the cooler. These ice bricks are the medium size.

[​IMG]

With the bum bag (with iStick/Crown, K100/Sub Tank Mini & 18650 battery case inside) on top of the ice brick.

[​IMG]

If need be, plenty of room to put second ice brick on top.

[​IMG]

6. captarlexpern

captarlexpern New Member

Quite a few years ago there was a very detailed discussion about this for a member who worked in the cold store of a business. Now I will say that mods have much more electronics and I would think they were talking about mechs back then but the principal is the same.

It's only a vague memory and I don't remember the member involved. Give me some time and I will see if I can find it or if someone else remembers it.

7. xatan

xatan New Member

Simple answer ... don't leave batteries (any battery) in a car in the middle of summer

8. Bandon

Bandon New Member

I was trying to find the problems with keeping your vape gear on ice or cold Which might have an impact on the cooler ice brick solution. There was something about the battery not working as efficiently. Still looking.

9. charlie murphy

charlie murphy New Member

I'd be concerned about condensation inside the mod when you took it out of the fridge. Probably wouldn't worry a mech though, and your tanks would be fine.

10. Alerari

Alerari New Member

That's one of my concerns. I have a couple of other ideas to play with. I already have a good quality 10 litre esky, & I'll see what the temp gets to in that on the next hot day. *It's cooler today & we've finally got some rain that has been desperately needed. I've also just ordered some smallish cotton bags I'm going to use to put the mods & tanks in so they don't get damaged when I'm carrying more than one in whatever container.

11. Doloreulp

Doloreulp New Member

Carried out this experiment this afternoon at the Men's Shed. I was there for a bit over 3 hours from 12.50pm. We had a temp of 32 degrees & I put Kbox/Sub tank mini in the bum bag on top of 1 ice brick in the lunch cooler & left it in the car, which was parked in the sun. Placed the cooler on the front passenger floor out of the direct sun. I didn't want the mod getting too cold so I folded a handkerchief into 4 & placed it between the bum bag & mod so it was insulated a bit from the ice brick.

Went out for a vape a few times & found the mod was noticeably cool but not really cold. There was also no moisture in the bum bag when I got home & the contents of the ice brick was still frozen. This worked well so I think it might be the answer.

12. agregorasswifta6023

agregorasswifta6023 New Member

batteies don't like the cold either,

but given this is a temp reduction task, and you're not dropping them in the freezer,

fix any condensation, and I'd say this is a good idea.