Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Vaping In Hospitals?

Discussion in 'Vape Talk' started by OhioTom76, Mar 29, 2016.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 New Member

Device:
    Android
    Juice:
    Not sure
    There was a rather amusing incident which occurred recently when we took my mother into the hospital for surgery. When they were prepping her for surgery, a doctor came in and immediately started asking which one of us smoked, and that he smelled smoke. Neither of my parents smoke, and I hadn't smoked in weeks - so I was baffled how he could even tell.

As it turns out, there was a lady next to my mother, on the other side of the curtain who was also getting prepped for surgery, who was apparently a big smoker. That's what the doctor was actually smelling. Anyhow, after surgery, she winds up being my mothers room mate.

As we're sitting there in the room visiting my mother, and the nurse is checking in on her, the room mate whips out a vaping stick and starts puffing away in the room! I mean, how stupid can you be? LOL. Of course the nurse sternly told her she was not allowed to do that in the room, but I thought it was hilarious she even had the nerve to try.

2. artyarson

artyarson Member

Device:
    e-cigarette
    Juice:
    cherry
    Was her flavor way similar to a cigarette smoke?

3. artyarson

artyarson Member

Device:
    e-cigarette
    Juice:
    cherry
    Speaking of the topic itself... yeah, it's goddamn wrong to do that inside of a hospital. Some people can close their eyes on that If it's happening in, let's say, a restaurant. However, in hospital it's way more serious. It's even beyond any question.

4. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz Member

Device:
    Vape Master
    Juice:
    Mango Lassi
    It will be ok if she was vaping in a private room, but the fact that she did it with your mom in the room is rude. It is about the principle, a lot of us are pro-vaping into this forum but we agree on one thing, to be respectful to others.
    A lot of hospitals include vaping in their no tobacco policies, so I am surprised she did not get in trouble.

5. Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands Member

Device:
    e-cig
    Juice:
    Strawberry
    I don't think people should be allowed to vape in any kind of enclosed environment - because even though it is much less toxic that cigarettes, the vapour can still cause discomfort to anybody who might be suffering from any kind of respiratory disorder, so it is certainly something that you should be aware of. It is very disrespectful to be smoking anything around other people when you don't know how they're going to react to it, and for this reason I will only ever vape when I am outside and in the open air.

6. nergaahl

nergaahl New Member

Device:
    eGo
    Juice:
    Kiwi juice
    That's a pretty disrespectful thing to do. I thought that it was common sense not to smoke inside of hospitals, be it a normal or electronic cigarette. It's like drinking at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. However, she seems very addicted, and I can only feel pity for her.

7. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Member

Device:
    Tesla
    Juice:
    Johnson Creek
    It seems like the wrong place to be vaping. No matter what, I wouldn't smoke anything inside a hospital or even around a hospital outside. It's just a bad look all around.

8. artyarson

artyarson Member

Device:
    e-cigarette
    Juice:
    cherry
    I like your comparison so much.

9. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Member

Device:
    Tesla
    Juice:
    Johnson Creek
    It wouldn't be so bad if it was flavorless and odorless. Although, smoking anything in a hospital setting is just a bad look. The fact that it was a flavored juice is troubling. Many people in hospitals are likely sensitive to different odors.

10. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

Device:
    Joyetech Ego One
    Juice:
    Atmos watermelon
    That woman needs to know better. You can't just vape in the hospital room, even the smell could be disruptive to the patients in the rooms. If you want to vape, go to the smoke area or best yet, outside!

11. rajesh

rajesh Member

Device:
    MODs
    Juice:
    Gorilla Juice
    I completely agree with her. I don't think that it is a good idea to vape in hospitals because hospitals are home for patients and many patients suffering from lung disorders reside in the hospital and vaping can be toxic for them. Though, I would like to say you that you can vape in any open environment.

12. Stopcigarettes

Stopcigarettes Member

Device:
    eGo-t
    Juice:
    RY4
    I think people think that they can vape anywhere because of he lack of legislation and the can but I don't recommend it. That's the easiest way to give vaping a bad rap.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Device:
    JAC vapour
    Juice:
    Real Tobacco
    Here in the UK, vaping in places such as hospitals, public buildings and sports arenas is classed the same as smoking cigarettes is, therefore is illegal.

Privately owned places it's up to the individual owners I think, and while the smoking of cigarettes is still against the law in places like pubs, coffee shops and restaurants, vaping is usually down to the individual owners discretion.

14. missvape

missvape Active Member

Device:
    Pen Type
    Juice:
    Milk Man
    First of all, she smoked cigarettes in a hospital. Wow, I cannot believe her guts. There are other patients in there which might be suffering from respiratory diseases. She should have thought of that in the first place. Second of all, it's an enclosed place which is code for "You cannot smoke here." Third of all, she was about to go into surgery, I would think smoking is not allowed during that time.

Just by those reasons, she was not only inconsiderate to herself, she was also inconsiderate to other people. I don't mind people smoking but if they're totally oblivious to their surroundings and the people around it, then that might be an issue for me.

And although vaping is generally safer than smoking, she has to understand that there is a proper place and time for it. She could have vaped outside just so she won't inconvenience other people.

15. AboveTheSmoke

AboveTheSmoke Active Member

Device:
    Volcano All Day
    Juice:
    Lock Shock & Barrel
    While I absolutely and positively do not agree with lighting up or puffing inside of a hospital, I think it's kind of hilarious given how many sick people are breeding germs into the air at pretty much every second of the day. It's not like people go into hospitals to get fresh air, but hey, one less pollutant is a good thing. I can't believe some people would think that this is acceptable.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Device:
    JAC vapour
    Juice:
    Real Tobacco
    Well I used to work in a hospital, and even though the whole site was a no smoking area, patients used to smoke outside the main entrance all the time.

There isn't a great deal thr staff can do about it as it's an hospital, not a prison and we can't dictate to them what they can or can't do.

17. artyarson

artyarson Member

Device:
    e-cigarette
    Juice:
    cherry
    I used to work not far away from the hospital. Everytime I walked past the hospital building I saw a bunch of people smoking. Some of them even had broken feet in casts. Their addictions to nicotine never ceases to amaze me.

pwarbi likes this.
  18. Stopcigarettes

Stopcigarettes Member

Device:
    eGo-t
    Juice:
    RY4
    I have known people that stopped smoking after spending some time in hospital. They would distract themselves with other things and since they never were exposed to other peoples smoke were able to stop.

19. genevb

genevb Member

Device:
    VaporFI Rebel II
    Juice:
    Apple
    This isn't so uncommon I believe and people should make such a big deal out of it, I mean, probably that person was very stressed, vapors doesn't bother you as bad as the smoke itself, and also the average person gets usually lots of powerful drugs from doctors before the operation, drugs a lot more powerful than a few puffs of nicotine.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Device:
    JAC vapour
    Juice:
    Real Tobacco
    Like I said there was nothing that the hospital staff could do to stop them. The worst thing I hated, even though I was a smoker myself, was that people used to actually smoke out side the maternity unit.

All the young pregnant mothers had to walk through a cloud of smoke when they came to get their scan, so that's when I did start telling people to move.