Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Using Attys in Tanks

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Pretty in Pink, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Pretty in Pink

Pretty in Pink New Member

Lets get this sussed out, been thinking about it for a few weeks but had slotted cartos left, this morning I decided it was time to slot some more cartos and checking my ecf threads I came across MWA's fitting a 306 into a tank .. the vid is at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tank-reviews/229289-mwa-atty-tank-set-up.html

Do yourself a favour and skip to about 3:30 tho .. takes 10 minutes to poke 4 holes in a 306 cart.
    Things to take from this vid .. the atty doesn't fill with juice, air pressure or lack of hols it in I suppose, he uses a tank with a integral drip tip.

anyway, decided serendipity was at work and I should have a go, had a clean empty liquinator in front of me anyway..

Now I didn't have any unmangled 306 carts as I made top feeders out of em, liquinator is not suitable for the 306 as is, diameter too small to seal and the drip tips being an issue, so found some crappy 510HV attys I had no intention of using. Started with a slot at the half way mark, so is just above the divider in the atty, originally 4mm long I opened it up to maybe a 1/3 of atty circumference (0.6mm disc) .. used with empty cart fitted, popped out top cap and jammed a drip tip in.

This was a bit too gurgly, I ended up pulling the cart and putting the fill back in. A check of this shows its very very wet.

Upshot .. the atty sucked, that's why it was unused, 5.6ohm, running at 5.0V .. its not leaking huge amount of juice, just a bit of dampness on the battery connector, TH is lower and flavour lower than a carto, I might try again with a proper joye 510 atty and maybe drill holes instead of slotting..

TBC..

oh, the tank fills up with vapour .. not sure if I like that yet.

2. davedave

davedave New Member

I made up one of these a few months back. Used a clearo tube as extension through the tank and attie inner sleeve as joiner. It was very gurgly and prone to leaking but vaped reasonably well. May try it again with the silicone seals from the bottle stopper.

3. solovesunshine

solovesunshine New Member

why not just pull all the stuffing from a boge carto, punch 2 holes opposite sides of the carto, thread some wick through the 2 holes such that it plugs the holes but allows liquid to slowly wick through and wet the atomiser at the bottom of the carto?

4. tyler

tyler New Member

I assume you mean cart gaz, have a look at a cart in an atty and most of the fill is well inside the atty, cut down the atty and the air holes for the cart will be inside the tank.
    Could be done but not sure how easily or succesfully.
    I am going to wrap carto wick around the atty to try and regulate the flow, running the wick through the atty .. will let you know how it goes.

5. Luna

Luna New Member

I'm sure the secret is that the tank has to be absolutely airtight excepts for holes in the attie. I just modified my first version to use very tight fitting silicone seals and glue lined heatshrink to join the attie to the carto outer used as extension through the top seal. I don't think the seal of a cart to attie is airtight enough. The 510 attie has 2x1.8mm holes and so far no leaks or gurgling. Just see the occasional air bubble from the attie holes. I'm sure the gurgling and leaks on the first attie version and earlier carto tanks I've made has all been due to not being airtight. I'll make a prettier version later and post a pic.

6. gee-raj

gee-raj New Member

I think I've finally sussed out how/why these tanks work. Providing the tank is airtight and the holes in the attie are not too large, surface tension prevents the juice from flowing out. Like if you tip a juice bottle upside down with lid off. When vaping, a negative pressure is created in the attie and some juice flows until the pressure in the tank is equalised. Once vaping stops there is a negative pressure in the tank that if large enough will pull some air in. Simple really. Rebuilt attie tank from 10ml syringe, silicone seals (pick-n-pay bottle stopper seal cut in half), 510 attie with 2x1.8mm holes, outer tube from an XL DC carto, an attie inner sleeve as joiner and glue lined heatshrink to seal the join. Diffraction by the juice makes the heatshrink look larger that it is.....

[​IMG]

7. yes the tanks have always needed to be airtight, I had a major argument about this with hopeless and imeo when my AVS leaked like a sieve due to the thread cut under the o ring, first hope trying to tell me it needs to have airflow to imeo saying 'just add vaseline' .. right pair of knobs.
    with air leaks, the juice will simply flow through the atty/carto and out the hole, attys will be worse than cartos due to the lack of fill.

8. poisoned

poisoned New Member

This works.

For the bottom extension use one that is not sealed for air-flow through the 306.

[video=youtube;ciWTYqhJZRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWTYqhJZRQ&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

9. Mealonelawn

Mealonelawn New Member

Been using a 510XL atty since yesterday in liquinator, cut a small wide slot, fed the middle of a wick through and around the bridge, it didnt wick well enough and weeped a little from battery hole, i ended up cutting a narrow longer slot on the other side and pulled both ends of the wick around and into and across this slot, back thru itself and tied up.
    Its restricted the airflow internally quite a bit, it now wicks very well and no leaks.
    but.. TH is poor and flavour as well which I find odd, I did get a nic buzz sans TH tho, which is interesting.
    It is very quiet and good vapour tho .. so many variables to toy with.
    I think the 306LR will be the atty to work with, its going to be too small for the liquinator seals tho, home made tank time again..

10. fernie gregarold

fernie gregarold New Member

Well over here we are using 3/4" polycarbonate tubing and these. Note vinyl, not rubber.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-V...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Work fines, an o-ring can be used with the the bottom one, between the grooves. Note if you use a short 510-> 510 extension you are back to carto diameters.

The grommets also work well with the MadVapes 22ml vials.

No 306 pics but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

The vial.

[​IMG]

11. zisf|ellawep265

zisf|ellawep265 New Member

nice, i will have to dig up up my 510-510 extensions, i think they are disguised as something else in the kit atm.
    my liquinator is the earlier one which i have been told is slightly larger diameter, chrome 510 stuff its a loose fit on but black attys and cartos fit well.
    had many an accident with silver ones :)
    i have some 30mm teflon bar and a micro lathe, must be play time.