Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Tube mod build questions

Discussion in 'Vape Mod Talk' started by astyrrian, May 25, 2015.

1. astyrrian

astyrrian Guest

I am working on the fist of many cool tube mods to come and had some questions on what you guys would think is better.

To start . It will be a 3.7v PTC protected mechanical mod. Its made from 6061 Billet aluminum. Machine polished and fingerprint resistant. Holds a 18650 or 2 18350's . Smooth buttery threads . The finished one will have some cosmetic machine work on the body to go with the diamond knurled caps. Now for the questions.

Im torn between side button sorta like the GGTS or bottom button .Which do you guys think i should go with . Im personally leaning towards side button but i know theres a lot of bottom button fans. Either way will also have a button lock built in.

Next question. I am thinking of doing multiple changable top caps . Good idea or not worth it ? It would come with a 510 cap and 901 cap and possible a rebuildable atty cap down the road.

Heres some pics of where its at now .Pics dont really do the shine justice .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think.

2. Fingerprint-resistance, perfect. It's just not a polished hunk of metal that looks terrible with smudges.

I am a side-button person. I have problems with my pinky fingers , but I also like my tubes to be able to stand on end. Bottom buttons aren't always obliging, and I would worry about firing.

I love the idea of 510 and 901 interchangeable caps. I am liking 808 cartos more than the Boge as of late, and find 808s last a lot longer. So for someone like me, it would be ideal.

I have two mechanicals coming out of two co-ops, but I'm concerned because both are bottom buttons. I only got them because everyone needs mechanicals in their toy chest, and I haven't found a mechanical with side button that doesn't cost two arms and both my legs for just an unregulated 3.7v.

The caps look great. A pattern in the body to match or enhance, ideal.

I like your thinking !!

3. hordolmer

hordolmer Guest

I only have one thought on the dual 18350's wouldn't it be a 8.4V fully charged then 6V when dead?

Next question did you find a chip that regulates to 3.7? and save on space to fit 2 batts in there?

Other then that man its clean and solid :)

4. Francis:

Francis: Guest

I hate drop-off, so a regulated 3.7v would be phenomenal in a mechanical.

5. Ms.Manly

Ms.Manly Guest

There are many chips that can regulate to 3.7v . I dont understand why you would want to regulate for using 2 18350's though. You could just use a 18650 . Theres no benefit to running two 18350s if being regulated because it would have much less battery life then going with the single 18650 . Remember batteries in series dont double the battey life. It would be the same battery life with two 18350s as it would with one 18350. Therefore regulating it would make the 18350 stacked option useless. The other reason i cant see regulating it is then you would have wires defeating the purpose of a mechanical mod. There will be other mods i build that are regulated however this one is mechanical only(no electronics or wires to fail).

6. arunmdhvn

arunmdhvn Guest

That is exactly what i was thinking. So far this is the plan. I got everything planned to do a side button but im still trying to figure one thing out . I would like the have a beveled washer so it fits the curve of the tube but having a hard time locating some and not sure how to machine the bevel. If anything i will send the washer design out to be machined since its small. Any ideas.

7. KISSMYneice

KISSMYneice Guest

I love the idea of a bottom button. How about a top button connected to the 510 and topcap, so it fires when you press it forward? Then those who hate "pinkying" their mod would be happy, and the spring would not have to support the same weight. Add a small inner sleeve to the topcap that stays over the battery so it can't get hung up on it, and you would have no wobble issues at all!

I bet there are a host of reasons my idea sucks, but hey, I think outside the box.

8. partypooper

partypooper Guest

I would vote side button...an option for a single 18350 and the ability to put a kick in or one of those fuses are popular options as well.

9. I have adapters for everything I use that isn't 510. And adapters are cheaper than a second cap would be. Going 510 to start off sounds like a good idea for the cap.

Glad to hear MickeyRat also likes 901s. Thought I was alone in the world.

10. Mask

Mask Guest

You would be able to use the kick in a 18650 one by just using a 18490 with the kick instead. It will have a built in PTC fuse for protection

11. rockgirl

rockgirl Guest

Thats a good point. I think i will go with the 510 cap and eventually screw on rebuildable so you can switch between a dedicated rebuildable and 510 mod.

12. Sting-Ray

Sting-Ray Guest

Heres a very bad pic of the washer im looking for to do the side button the way id like.

The washer sits flush on the tube fitting the curve and flat on top for the plunger. Any idea what these are called or where i could get them ?I have seen them before. I dont have to use it but i think it would add a nice touch.
    [​IMG]

13. why not just design your own style side button like the ggts but a tad bigger .. thats were the ggts button is not great when it comes to it's dia. and the lock ring should be a tad fatter to make it more.. user friendly

just my thoughts good or bad there just thoughts...

lawnman3...

14. A-ED

A-ED Guest

you mean like the shock wave button or v2 prodigy ...

15. newworld

newworld Guest

Batteries in series double in voltage output meaning 2 fully charged 18350's would be a 8.4V vape and die at 5V?

These we my thoughts exactly and wondered why in OP you said 2 18350's and called it a 3.7 mod.

16. jennidear

jennidear Guest

Yup will be designing my own .The washer is just so the base part of the design sits more flat.

Its a 3.7v mod that can be stacked for people that like HV vaping (IE.Hairball lol)

17. brutusmom

brutusmom Guest

18. h_metal

h_metal Guest

How about something 18500, bottom button and 801 flat top for Boge Fusions in tanks?

19. Ummm. Is that a toilet flush button? I....... Like it!

20. LOL, I have no idea, probably. It was just the first google image that I envisioned being the look of what he's wanting. That's why I posted to see if I was way off of his vision, since he's the man making it.