Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Throat Hit?!? You WANT that?!?

Discussion in 'Vape Politics and Media' started by jeark, Jan 4, 2016.

1. jeark

jeark New Member

Hi,

I'm new to vaping. Just started vaping nic today. So ...

I'm intrigued by this whole "throat hit" concept. Judging by the difference in feeling between the flavoured 0mg juice I've been "practicing" with, with and without nic, throat hit seems undesirable to me. I suspect I will be adding only VG to my 100mg/ml nic.

But let me explain:

I'm 44. I first smoked at 8. An older kid next door got me into it so he could smoke my Mum's cigs (she bought by the carton). I learned to roll at 10 and never really looked back, but didn't REALLY smoke until I was 14-15. Apart from a six month quit I've been smoking (mostly rollies) ever since. Jeez!

Anyway, I have generally experienced very little throat hit over the 30-odd years of smoking analogues. Unless I hit a "log" (that awful, harsh, nasty-tasting, makes-you-cough-like-you're-dying hit you get from a big chunk of stem in your rollie), or am smoking a tailor-made, I have always experienced smoking tobacco as a smooth ride.

My first experience today of fairly high PG nic felt like a "log" type situation. And this is one of the things I DON'T like about smoking. One of the reasons I know I need to get off the stinkies is that smoking now has that throat hit feel almost all the time. It used to be a rare thing ...

So, it interests me that so many ppl seem to think the "throat hit" feeling is desirable when, to me, it should not be a part of the smoking tobacco experience at all - I mean, the whole point of training myself to draw back was so I DIDN'T have that feeling. Maybe it's 'cos I started so young?

Anyway, I know everyone is different. I guess I'm interested to hear what others' experiences are.

Cheers,
    maqim :)

[edit] P.S. Forgot to mention that when I went to a higher VG mix the "problem" was fixed.

P.P.S. This whole thing really hit me when I compared a rollie to the high PG juice and the rollie (which earlier today seemed unbearably harsh) was far smoother by comparison.

2. lois

lois New Member

I never thought about throat hit when I was smoking, but when I took up vaping I noticed with low or no nic that I couldn't feel the vapour when I inhaled the way I could feel the smoke...which was frustrating. Like breathing scented air.

I think a good vape throat hit is a replacement for that 'ahhh' feeling you get with the first satisfying draw on a smoke you've been waiting for. Which is probably the nic going straight into the blood stream, the way it does with smoke.

With vaping it takes a bit longer to get the nic hit feeling, and it's muted. So the throat hit became really important to me cuz it felt good, like it should. Or something like that?

For me, I need the feeling of a deep inhale...and without nic, or with too low strength nic, it's missing.

3. AmbroseSa

AmbroseSa New Member

It seems you are still smoking? I think throat hit becomes important during the complete transition to vaping; it gives a sensation of inhaling something substantial, and different from air. When people stop smoking altogether they begin to crave that something substantial. However, it shouldn't be such a strong sensation that it remains an unpleasant experience. The throat hit from nicotine alone may be more pleasant for some people. Alternatively, the issue might be too much nicotine. Time and experimentation is the only way to find out what you enjoy, and what will keep you interested and off the analogues.

After nearly a year of vaping, I am still experimenting with the different sensations that different flavours, nic strengths and pg levels supply.

4. Mayla

Mayla New Member

Hi JenJ,

I literally got home from work this arvo and have been experimenting with the nic that arrived today, so I'm very n00b. I am also still smoking predominantly, though I expect this to change. I have yet to experience vaping without being a smoker. It'll be interesting (at least, to me) to see if/how my attitude to this changes.

I think I get what you're saying.

Thanks for you reply :)

maqim

5. Maestro1911

Maestro1911 New Member

I hear ya. From my brief experimentation this eve I can see that it may take some time to find my sweet spot. I guess I was just a bit surprised by the throat hit feeling.

Thanks for your reply Vapetoomuch. I have so much to learn :)

maqim

6. Phombub

Phombub New Member

just mixed 6mg/ml juice... Throat hit is definitely less compared to 12mg/ml juice i was vaping on... I think i can deal with a good flavour with less throat hit but this.. this just smells like a massage shop... bit flowery and bit of herb taste, i don't know whats going on...