Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

steel fabrication

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Spiricore, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Spiricore

Spiricore New Member

I'm looking at makin a vv battery mod but I don't want to build it into a box just not my style I prefer the tubular design, so back to the question how would I go about making a thread on tube aluminium I was hopeing a tap and die would do the job since its nice and cheap but I don't think they can do a diameter large enough other thought was a lathe but even cheap ones are 500 bucks so what tool would I use for this?

2. insomnia7

insomnia7 New Member

Initial thoughts would be a plumbers pipe threader, if you dont know a plumber kennards have them

http://www.kennards.com.com/index.p...rs&lvl=2&PHPSESSID=8ud5i4fhikkhdrchr8shvqehn5

that would put the thread on the outside though, there must be a tool to do the inside....

Why not prototype fully in pvc plumbers pipe, and then you will at least know it all fits and works and feels good before you commit to the Alu.

3. maciaty

maciaty New Member

Alternatively there are a few engineering workshops that could do the thread for you OR even some with CNC mill's who could spit out a whole device if you had cad (or similar) drawings.

4. anitabell

anitabell New Member

taps and dies go to meters in diameter, you wont find any cheaper method.
    Having said that, making a 20mm dia thread square, the usual method would be to use a lathe tailstock to keep it square. Be a bitch to try and do by hand.
    You are not going to find a lathe for $500 with thread cutting capabilitys.
    Perhaps for $1500.

5. tozifan

tozifan New Member

Yea cheers guys ill see what I can find for taps and dies and even look at pipe threaders.