Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Please help a smoker wanting to make the switch!

Discussion in 'New Vapers Forum' started by woOtarsaw, Sep 14, 2015.

1. woOtarsaw

woOtarsaw New Member

Hello everyone :)

I'm 30 and have been smoking around 20 cigarettes per day (give or take) for the last 10 years. I am currently smoking Bank loose tobacco but I sometimes smoke 12mg tailors.

I want to switch to vaping becomse I've started karate classes and I get so out of breath that I can't keep up with the others, but I don't think I'm ready/able to give up nicotine any time soon, so I thought vaping might be a good way to transition.

I have a few questions about what to buy and where to buy it from:

Firstly, the hardware - price is not an issue as I currently spend $100+ per week on smokes. I need something with long battery life as I work 12 hour shifts, something that emulates the feel of smoking (so a mouth to lung setup and around 1.8 ohm??), and something simple but flexible enough that I don't have to upgrade in a few months time. To that end I was considering getting an iStick 30 with a comtilus or comtilus Mini with cotton coils (those ceramic wicks freak me out a bit). What do you guys think about that combo? Any other suggestions?

Also do you think the 2ml tank on the comtilus Mini would need to be refilled during the day for a current pack a day smoker, and if so is that even an issue? Or should I just the the bigger version?

Secondly, I was thinking of getting some 18mg nicotine liquid in a 50/50 mix - does that sound right? I am a bit concerned about the flavours though, and what nasty chemicals might be in some of the flavourings (my mum keeps sending me links to flavours in the UK being discontinued do to carcinogenic chemicals, ha) - is there any way to find out which flavours/brands of liquid are 'safe' or something?

And finally, can you guys recommend somecomssie or O/S retailers for hardware, and O/S retailers for nicotine juice?

Thanks in advance!

2. bugbug1905

bugbug1905 New Member

Congrats on your decision mate and welcome to the forum. Im not able to give advice on your equipment choice's as i vape lung hit's but you are definitely in the right place for help, there is alot of knowledge here and a very helpful bunch. Won't be long and someone will respond.

3. The Wiz

The Wiz New Member

Crisscross, Mallee00, are two i can think off that vape your way, also have a look at a thread "alot has changed as there is alot of the mtl vapers in that discussion.

4. Whitney M

Whitney M New Member

Hello muscovyduckling,

Firstly, welcome to the vaping world and welcome to Vape.to. This is a great place to learn from and lots of members are fantastic and always willing to help others :)

In my opinion, a mini is not a large enough tank to get you through the day if you are/were a pack a day smoker. The comtilus is an excellent tank and if you get the regular size then you should be pretty happy with how long you can vape before a refill.

I can't help you with mods or batteries. (I only use provari normally, so I really can't comment about a good affordable mod)

18mg is probably a really good choice for making the transition from smoking to vaping. I found 18mg very satisfying when I changed to vaping. I personally like 50/50. Its really a personal choice. (pg more flavour and thinner, vg more vapour and thicker)

I cant steer you in the right direction relating to any chemicals in the eliquid. I'm sure someone will come along shortly and answer that.

TheSteamery and VictoryVape are excellentcomssie vendors. As far as eliquid from overseas.. I quite like Halocigs but every ones taste is different.

Anyway good luck and good on you for trying to get off the smokes! :)

5. 5monthsin

5monthsin New Member

I knew there was someone else I was thinking of.

6. Duality99

Duality99 New Member

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far! I will check out the "a lot has changed" thread, sounds like it will be right up my alley :)

I'm not up to mixing my own juices just yet as I need to keep everything simple and easy first off, so that I don't get overwhelmed and go back to tobacco. I understand DIY is cheaper and you can use the bettercomssie flavours, but first off I will need to buy some premix Nic juices from O/S. I just worry about what is in them.

7. ShoppingBandGeek

ShoppingBandGeek New Member

Hey mate and welcome. I'm a newbie to the forum too.
    I tried quitting a few years back on a cheap pen style ecig, it didn't work.
    I got the kangertech subtank mini kit in December and I haven't had a smoke since. I've already purchased a few new mods as I love tinkering with things, but the subtank mini is the one I take daily to work. Easy to understand, and there are a bunch of information on the net about them (although I'm sure there is heaps on others too)
    The kit set me back just over $100, and I got an extra tank for $40 just so I can swap flavours a little more easier. I also use the .5 coils as it feels more like a smoke to me.
    My first step would be don't even consider quitting until you import some nicotine. By all means buy your kit, but adding nicotine makes it not only feel more like a smoke but also changes the taste of the juice.
    My view is only that, my opinion! Others may disagree on my choice, and what works for me might not work for you.
    Congratulations on taking the first step to not only a healthy life, but the world of vaping :)

8. kookzta

kookzta New Member

Welcome. As tyzer mentioned I am all about mouth to lung vaping but it's quite difficult for me to recommend equipment. I am an old fashioned vaper who prefers carto tanks on vision spinner battery's or billet boxes that are all in one devices.

There are so many choices available for the battery side of the equation so for your day to day vaping I would buy simple and more than one. Then invest in a couple of simple tanks, any of the range of comtilus, protank aero tank. That way you have backup of both the tank and the battery. Ego one kits are good combo of tank and battery reasonable quality and price. Keep your first kit as foolproof as possible. There is nothing worse that only having one large setup to get you through the day. If anything goes wrong you are stuck.

For example when I go out I take 4 spinner batteries with four tanks, so it doesn't matter if anything fails I just attach a different tank or battery. Once you have that routine down pat and you understand how much or often you vape then start investing in some heavier duty vaping gear.

The other thing is how much liquid you will need is all about technique. You will find a routine in your vaping that will determine how much you need of everything.

This is what I use at home
    [​IMG]

The tanks in the tray are what I would take out and about in a single case. More than enough eliquid and battery life and backup built in

[​IMG]

9. plumdumplings

plumdumplings New Member

Try the Vape Shop in NZ ... very quick delivery. As far as what's in them ... you're more concerned about vaping than smoking? Well, flavourless is a viable option to many ... no flavours obviously (but may not suit a new vaper immediately)

10. MSK Qmz

MSK Qmz New Member

Everyone will give you a different opinion all i can do i show you what i would go with if i was starting again without spending a fortune.

Innokin Endura | VapourEyes A new product.... here's a review but skip to 15mins to hear about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj2R-T82ruM All you need is liquid

Another one,

Aspire comtilus Adjustable Airflow Tank With BVC Coils | House of Vape
    and a mod to run it (you'll need a 18650 with this) Eleaf iStick TC 60W MOD | House of Vape

You'll need a few things with the Aspire and Eleaf, replacement coils for the Aspire $15 to $20 pack of five, an 18650 battery $15, and a charger $20 ? ?

Most people grow out of either of these within 6 to 10 weeks. If you take to vaping and stop smoking you'll work out if you want to move on up to more power and mouth to lung sub ohm setup, that seems to be the trend but you don't need to follow this trend of blowing big clouds as it isn't for everyone. There are a heap of cool tanks and mods for 1.0 to 2.5ohm to give a great taste and good vapour.

BOL

11. ruston

ruston New Member

The other thing is that much of the current vaping gear is designed for lung hits. People will tell you that you can turn off the airflow and achieve the same result. Do take this with a grain of salt. I cannot lung hit.....I take 2 sec vapes. In theory these tanks should work but your needs as a MTL vapor are different. 2 sec vapes will flood any cotton wicked coil around. You need less wick and quicker eliquid heating. Thinner eliquids that heat up faster than heavy vg.

These are my experiences and as with anything your vaping technique will determine the type of gear you should buy. If you can get an opportunity to meet with other vapers and try some gear you will see and feel the difference. Your first kit won't be your last but it will give you enough practice to understand what to look for.

12. ktommy

ktommy New Member

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you've done a good deal of research and have a basic understanding of things. The istick and mini comtilus is ok as starting kit, another option for the tank would be aspire triton mini, I believe that can take the comtilus coils as well as its own coils and then gives you a bit of room to grow.

I'm a mouth to lung vaper as well and I use a subtank mini but with the rebuildable head and just ordered a joyetech Cubis as well. I think both of these might be a little loose in the draw for a beginner.

The other option is to go for a real starter kit aimed at helping people start vaping like the innokin endura - they have two styles - a smaller pen style one and a larger box style. For the price you could probably buy 2 so you always had a charged one.

OT I know but also congrats on starting your karate journey too. I started mine 3 and half years ago and still love it. What style do you practice?

13. tlneloms

tlneloms New Member

Hi muscovyduckling.

A few tips:

Make sure you prime the coils before installing them by putting a few drops of liquid in the holes on the side of the coil to make sure they are nicely saturated.
    If using a variable volt or variable wattage device - start low and move up from there if you wish.
    If 18mg liquid is not satisfying the nic craving, don't be afraid to go up to 24mg.
    Sometimes going from smokes to vaping it may make you cough or seem a bit harsh - this will go away after a little use.
    Always ask if you need help, there is much good advice on this forum as you have already found out.

Wishing you and your partner all the best in giving up the smokes.

14. Saza

Saza New Member

Thanks guys :)

I really mean it. Everyone is so supportive and helpful here. Really appreciate it :)

15. krisna mario

krisna mario New Member

I leave my tanks upside down so they dont leak in the heat. They are bottom fed coils tho, where the airflow comes from below. Eg kanger subtank and uwell crown. So upside down is actually safer for them. People.with experience with the tanks you choose should be able to give you the best info for your particular tank. Xx
    All the best.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

16. Dink

Dink New Member

Ok guys, I am going to make a hardware purchase now I think.

Tyzer is posting me an MVP 2.0 PIF (thanks champ!!) and I was thinking of getting two Innokin Endura T18s (one for the hubby) and a comtilus Mini tank (can be used on the T18 and the MVP right?), and a pack of coils for the T18 and the comtilus, from VapourEyes.

I am going to order the turquoise T18 :) :) :)

17. gepAbsed

gepAbsed New Member

Well, I just wanted to say thanks heaps to everyone for chiming in with your great suggestions and tips.

With your help I've managed to order some liquids and T18 starter kits, plus I have a box mod coming from Tyzer and a 'care package' containing all sorts of stuff from Mallee. So thanks :)

I know I said at the start that I wanted to purchase 'something that will last' straight away, but I've come to accept that there will be future purchases and upgrades. Some call this 'shiny-itus', and I'm cool with it :) But I think I've got a good bunch of stuff to start off with.

Thanks a million everyone!!!

18. aylinchik

aylinchik New Member

19. Wrotoup

Wrotoup New Member

Ooh fun! I entered :)