Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Paging Lord Stoney of the Hot Iron.

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by JarlBraip, Nov 6, 2015.

1. JarlBraip

JarlBraip New Member

Maaaaaate ..... lol

Wonder if you could help me out with your particular brand of expertise, IE : soldering.

This happened :

[​IMG]

I tried but can't fix it. 3 wires the size of an arse hair on a flea need to be soldered back on and my .comsage fingers haven't got a hope.

I'll stick some money in your PayPal for a few ales for the hassle too :)

Whaddaya reckon? Yes, it's only a dirty old 510-N, but it's my dirty old 510-N :)

Edit : PS : That red wire is a red wire from a phone cord. It's the smallest diameter wire I could find]

2. LaNaschele

LaNaschele New Member

Offer is open to anyone who can solder small things onto even smaller things, if Stoney doesn't have the time/doesn't want to. I want my 510-N back :(

3. aroertosusasd1062

aroertosusasd1062 New Member

I have managed to fix a couple or three of these things, but not a lot of use to you now. Still overseas for three more weeks. Stoney put me onto some small wire at Jaycar. Its sold as Tie wire, around the same size as the original stuff on the boards. Bastard to strip the insulation, but otherwise good stuff. Only color is green?

4. BalkBrold

BalkBrold New Member

Mate, the wire isn't the main hassle, although thanks for the heads up. I have massive fingers (if I was a lesbian I would be classed as "well hung") and a soldering iron that could double as a clothes iron ..... haha

5. mamsgaive

mamsgaive New Member

well fire up the old iron come out for a ride slacker

6. DARRYL D

DARRYL D New Member

Yeah, I could manage that. :)

A ride through the hills could be just what the doctor ordered actually. Will see when I next have time off and see what you're up to.

Cheers

7. deelell

deelell New Member

Went for a ride to Stoney's abode today. Had a cuppa, a play around with a Provari and the new Digger ECDMeter (I tried to steal it but his 2 guard dogs kept licking me into submission), checked out his workshop where it all happens and he fixed my 510-N for me! Put some new eGo guts in it and it vapes like a champ again! Woohoo! Had a chat for a few hours then rode home. Very enjoyable day. Thanks for everything Stoney, your a gentleman and a scholar. We should do it again some time over a few ales at the watering hole. :)

8. ngem4boozwz

ngem4boozwz New Member

Gotta love this community hey ... big double thumbs up, Stoney !

I ordered some 20X loupe glasses for soldering and tinkering with the small RC stuff these days lol .. bugger getting old and not seeing as good
    View attachment 3201

9. another therapist

another therapist New Member

no worrys lw,
    the canungra pie was pretty good though a bit mangled by the time i got it home, came home the goat track back way.

10. Phil

Phil New Member

Clagiraba - Canungra and back for a pie?

11. Duplupcup

Duplupcup New Member

i need some new ones, jaycar have been out of stock for months. getting sick of asking them. mine have a big scratch on one side, the strap is cracked and they are never to hand when i need them.

fleabay ? 20X could be a bit much, you will burn your nose with iron.

12. Antithesis

Antithesis New Member

they are a really nice pie !

and its only about 500m further than nerang from here.

13. gmax

gmax New Member

Plus a nice bike ride I assume?

14. melsVose

melsVose New Member

15. kralwons

kralwons New Member

Hehe, pies don't hold up too well in my bag :)

16. Mantlegen

Mantlegen New Member

Hey Fatman,

I have a couple of sets of these. You will find that for looking at stuff close up they are really good. What you might find is that trying to do any work with them is difficult. As stoney mentioned, the focal length is so short, you will be burning your nose with the soldering iron!! Mine have removable lenses. Each eye piece has two. If you remove the front lens in one of the eye pieces, you will reduce the magnification in that eye down to X10, and this has the effect of doubling the focal length. Depending on what you are doing, just close the appropriate eye!!! Its not ideal, but its a help when trying to solder. You might start looking for a smaller soldering tip, cos these things make them look really, really big!!

17. mollyzp16

mollyzp16 New Member

Tres Cool Rob ... these are just an experiment lol , I do a lot of really little stuff on RC heli's and quads and just seeing some of the screws etc is a challenge :D
    I will def try your mod when I get them ...