Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

North Korea says detained U.S. student confesses to crimes against state

Discussion in 'Non Vape Related News' started by news, Feb 28, 2016.

1. news

news Active Member

SEOUL An American student held in North Korea since early January has confessed to "severe crimes" against the state, North Korean state media said on Monday.

Otto Warmbier, 21, a student at the University of Virginia, was detained before boarding his flight to China over an unspecified incident at his hotel, his tour agency told Reuters in January.

"I committed the crime of taking out a political slogan from the staff-only area of the Yanggakdo International Hotel," state media quoted Warmbier as telling foreign and domestic media in Pyongyang, the North Korean capital, on Monday.

North Korea has a long history of detaining foreigners, and the U.S. and Canadian governments advise against travel there.

Pyongyang has in the past used detained U.S. citizens to extract high-profile visits from the United States, with which it has no formal diplomatic relations.

(Reporting by James Pearson and Jack Kim; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our most compelling images of the week. Slideshow

[​IMG]

Ever thought you could win the presidency? Download Now

[​IMG]
    The Most Influential Scientific Minds
    Using citation analysis to identify authors whose papers wield outsized influence

[​IMG]

2. artyarson

artyarson Member

Device:
    e-cigarette
    Juice:
    cherry
    Lol, I thought Americans are banned from entering that country. It's kind of surprising to me.