Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Mint - like the herb, not the peppermint.

Discussion in 'Vape DIY Juice / Recipes / Mixing' started by sheena, Sep 14, 2015.

1. sheena

sheena New Member

I'm trying to make a morrocan tea flavour.. I think I've got the tea part sorted, but I'm looking for ideas on either a flavour which is like the herb mint rather than peppermint. If anyone's come across a mint flavour which is like the herb.. can you let me know? Do you think I could just put some chopped up actual mint in some pg and heat it or just soak it for a while and it would work? I guess I should just try it.. anyone had any luck with this sort of steeping?

2. jehzswift9268

jehzswift9268 New Member

found this, they may be able to direct you to a source that will sell a smaller amount (with a recommended usage amount of between 0.1% to 0.2% their standard sale amount may be enough for several lifetimes)
    Mint Flavour 76.512 - AFIS

3. gummiente

gummiente New Member

Only with tea, but it should work with mint ... I mean you make mint .comce by soaking mint leaves (chopped or not) in vinegar, don't you?

4. flubaphone

flubaphone New Member

Peppermint is a herb....

5. Jetz

Jetz New Member

I know peppermint is a herb.. but I'm looking for the much milder variety. I know there's heaps of varieties too.. just the common backyard grows like a weed variety is what I'm after :)

6. kallalord

kallalord New Member

MrsG - have you considered essential oil extraction from the actual plant?

Probably the simplest way would be to use a solvent like ethanol to extract the oil and then allow the ethanol to evaporate off either partially or wholly and then mix down with in a PG base (or VG etc).

You could go to a distill, but that's a fair investment in kit that may only be used a few times.

Might be a little more complicated than effusion in a base like PG or VG, but the ability to change the flavour by % in your mix will be far easier and quicker to actually 'get' the flavour from the plant.

7. QuitBoum

QuitBoum New Member

No experience whatsoever with mint & extracting to make vapeable juice, however if you were to ask me to make you a mint flavoured cocktail I have learned that muddling gets the fastest strongest taste. Your have to find something pretty small to use as a muddling stick depending on the size of your container and amount of herb. Muddling is good with citrus fruits as well - gets all the oils out of the skins :)

8. MivyClive

MivyClive New Member

Holy snapping duckshit, 25L as MOQ.
    Steeping and tincturing with 95% alcohol is the first two methods I think.

9. Blondiee!

Blondiee! New Member

Pmsl love the duckshit phase mrG.

Ill take 30mls off your hands when MrsG talks you into buying it ;)

Let me know if you do find sonething MrsG... We have been on the hunt for ages for the same thing.

10. Josjua

Josjua New Member

Careful with 95% alcohol, what's the other 5%??

If you're referring to iso (or rubbing), its usually an antibacterial that remains on the skin long after the alcohol has evaporated and done its job.

That being said, you can get ISO where it's literally watered down with demineralised water, which would be fine, you'd just not want to let the total volume of alcohol evaporate of otherwise you'll be left with water and oil, which could be even harder to deal with in minute quantities. By leaving some alcohol in solution, it will allow the water and oil to mix, which then can be diluted with PG and or VG.

11. Amy O

Amy O New Member

Get a still from the local brew shop (legal under 2Ltrs), buy goon sack red and go to town, with a good still you should be able to achieve better than 95% purity (the rest will be water)

View attachment 11986
    Made from a Wok (badly over powered and required constant monitoring), sealed with flour/water paste (was later replaced by food grade silicon sealant), fractional distillation column (thermometer out the top) and a reflux condenser. Regularly got 98% purity.

12. Honboymn

Honboymn New Member

Personally I wouldn't use ISO or anything which wasn't safe to slurp on. However, since it all evaporates, it is probably safe.
    I use this stuff:
    Polmos Spirytus Rectified Spirit 95% 500mL | Dan Murphy's | Buy Wine, Champagne, Beer & Spirits Online

I think this is the strongest drinkable alcohol we can get in canada. I use it to in very minute quantities in my eliquids too, if they are heavy on VG. (5 drops in a 25mL bottle perhaps)

This has been a busy week with family staying and lots on.. and I ran out of my label tape :( I don't make anything unless it can go straight into a labelled bottle... too easy to get everything mixed up. Must get me some chinagraph pencils if they still exist for emergencies like these. Hoping to get to office works today to get some more label tape too.

I'm going to try some shredded mint (thanks Hamouda for the mint and the tea!!) in cold PG for 24 hours and see how that goes first up, and then some in alcohol to compare.. A lot of these things don't do well when they're heated, from my very limited, early experience... so evaporation is not something I'm keen on if heat is required. I have to do some study on "cold pressing", as I think that's where I'm going to end up with a lot of things. The flavour changes too much when heated in so many things, and since you're ineviteably going to reheat it when you vape it, I want to keep the heating to a minimum.