Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Menthol

Discussion in 'Vape DIY Juice / Recipes / Mixing' started by Toonnesty, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Toonnesty

Toonnesty New Member

G'day all,
    I've just been scrolling through youtube watching some vids about making menthol concentrate. It seems quite simple, just dissolving the crystals in PG. Anyone done this and if so are they good for flavour ? I'm pretty keen to try this as a quick and simple way to make some flavour at home that is vapesafe, and it would seem that menthol is obviously the most common and probably safest flavour for inhaling. Thanks for any replies.

2. sopmeno

sopmeno New Member

3. hall10

hall10 New Member

Oils aren't safe to vape, according to Dr. Farsalinos

4. Speermepe

Speermepe New Member

Ok, no worries, not sure who he is but i'll take your word for it, i guess they are only $1.00 for a reason.

5. canterbury10

canterbury10 New Member

The fatman concurs (LOL )

ANY volatile oil heated subjected to excessive heat will undergo changes unless it is carried on a liquid which evaporates before any decomposing point of the oil ... you cant say that will happen in an PV as the oil will be subjected to high temps on the coil .

A LOT of this is going to depend on the point at which the compound degrades thru heat , until you can determine that , I wouldnt consider it "safe"

Essences and stuff that goes in oil burners etc are designed to release volatile aromatics at a certain temp range ( such as in an aromatherapy burner) and have a carrier which evaporates taking the aromatics with it .

The reason Menthol crystals etc are "safe" in vaping is they have a high decomposition point and are soluble in the carrier solution ( i.e. the PG ) and therefore pass through the PV with minimal change to their composition

6. Aronachar

Aronachar New Member

7. Yahoo

Yahoo New Member

Thanks guy's, you could easily be fooled by reading that label and thinking it should be ok , your experience and knowledge is appreciated. And i don't want to end up having" intravenous immunoglobulins " thats for sure, don't know what they are but i guess that's not good.

8. Rouge Kiss Angel Tattoo

Rouge Kiss Angel Tattoo New Member

My wife vapes 60/40 PG/VG with menthol crystals and no other flavour added. Tastes fine to me, although I'm not a fan of menthol.

Cheers
    Darren

9. Missa

Missa New Member

I get Menthol Crystals from E Bay, then dissolve them down in Vodka, this gives me a flavour base for mixing, just do small quantities at first and remember it's easy to mix stronger than it is to weaken it down.

10. 555_666

555_666 New Member

I didn't know anybody did this.
    Any reason why, when hangsen RTV is so cheap and good enough for simple flavours like menthol?
    Or there's juice factory concentrates as well.

11. KurtisVic

KurtisVic New Member

True, I understand steeping and extraction of those things; but it's just menthol?
    To make it, people are just buying menthol.

12. gpeng84

gpeng84 New Member

I am trying to have an action plan for the scenario that i can't get anything what can i do. If i have nic in the freezer then i can at least buy some VG from the supermarket or health store, add some menthol crystals and at least i can have a vape, ingredients that aren't vape specific, easy to acquire and suit the purpose. Now just to find a place that sells PG for whatever reason and store that in the memory banks, probably ebay. I'm planning for the worst but hoping that never happens but i will feel better knowing i'm at least somewhat prepared.

13. vhwxrcbvkc

vhwxrcbvkc New Member

As said above, many bases and flavourings used in vaping would not ever be banned even if vaping was, be.comse they are dual use food/chemist and vaping products.