Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Ego-T Atty Wick Material ?

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Defqon, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Defqon

Defqon New Member

Ok have taken apart the atty, cleaned, dry burned etc etc went to put the wick back in the pointy bit and it fell apart......sooooooo can I use the wicking material that comes with those outdoor oil lamps to make another wick? I have no idea what it is but it looks like braided rope and you use them with citronella oil, put them in bamboo stakes and and stick them around the backyard when you want to pretend you're in an episode of Survivor.

If I can I'll probably have enough to make about 3 million wicks :) If not can I buy wicking materal online in.coms somewhere?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Shichibukai

Shichibukai New Member

It is a silica/fibreglass wick - you dont want anything that burns. Easiest way is to buy a Clearomiser or CE2 carto and raid it for the wicking.
    Some adventurous vapers have used small strands of silica rope (as used for door seals on wood heaters), however you'd really want to know what it is your playing with.
    BTW, the original "squid" wick is held in the spike by a tiny rolled up piece of metal mesh, you need to salvage and re-use the old piece or find a replacement (out of a dead atty) for it to all work correctly.

3. vogonsrock

vogonsrock New Member

Silica rope. Id just get a new atty though.

4. bvqi90210

bvqi90210 New Member

Hmmmm.....since I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing new atty it is :) No wick atty has now become drip atty.

5. Chimichanga

Chimichanga New Member

Clearo wick is useable, and so is the Clearo afterwards sa you only need an inch tops and the clearo has way more than that.
    silica rope is also used as the seals in conbustion heaters, look for silica rope seal from a wood fire place, since its a braided rope you can wind off a section.

fibreglass cloth would also be useable, give it a good burn in a flame to remove any coatings that maybe on it, i doubt there is anything though.

6. fhwfjof5i

fhwfjof5i New Member

7. makdil

makdil New Member

I read that some candle wicks and also lamp wicks can have chemicals that shouldn't be inhaled directly. It was at a candlemaking site when I was looking for replacement material for my ego-T's. Ended up using CE2's.

8. candle and lamp wicks are totally different materials and are only protected from burning by being kept saturated with fuel. I would not consider using anything that you can't stick in a flame with no effect.
    at best it would work for a while, at worst i will taste like burnt arse or even be dangerous.

glass is what you need .. not rope.

if in doubt, burn it.
    i would pre burn anything to be used as wick anyway to a good orange, flame is a good cleaner.

9. CelKa

CelKa New Member

Thanks all, have realised I'm hopeless at DIY (including juice making, thank goodness for Del) so will continue to stimulate the economy by buying more....and more and more

10. much_brighter_days

much_brighter_days New Member

2 things to bear in mind..
    1) practice makes perfect
    2) a bad atty is useless

you have nothing to lose apart from a bit of time by screwing around with dead bits.

11. black_label

black_label New Member

So thats what you tell all the corpses... :D

12. one x sweet

one x sweet New Member

In addition to this, note that Mcmaster Carr doesn't ship to canada (they used to).