Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

DNA mods - fully or partly regulated devices??

Discussion in 'Vape Politics and Media' started by Shipanime247, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Shipanime247

Shipanime247 New Member

First time poster- so go easy on the newby :topsy_turvy:

So I'm about to take the plunge into the world vaping and in preparation for the great leap I've been researching and watching so many youtube videos and reading so much information that I've gone up 3 hat sizes in a couple of weeks.

My apologies if the answer to my questions are all hiding somewhere within the vast amount of information on this forum, but all the variations of searches I've done hasn't elicited them for me.

So from the perspective of device/electronics circuitry protection and device/battery safety etc, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a DNA mod device like the Zen ZNA30 and a more traditional VV/VW Mod device like the Innokin range ?

I understand that both are 'regulated' devices (whereas mechanical mods aren't) but I guess my question is: are DNA devices 'regulated' to the same level as VV?VW mods? i.e. do they have the same level/amount of safety features and protection?

Or, are there 3 levels:

Fully regulated = VV/VW mods such as Innokin, Provari, Sigelei, Evic etc etc

Partly regulated = DNA mods, such as Hanna Modz DNA30, VaporShark rdna, Zen ZNA30 etc etc

Fully Unregulated = Mechanical mods

Or, have I got it all wrong ????????

2. celinajules

celinajules New Member

DNA's fall into the regulated category , as regulated just basically means provides a constant output determined by the user or the mod itself delivered via electronic circuitry .
    Whereas mechanical means the power supplied to the atomiser is UNREGULATED , ie, it will supply whatever voltage the battery can supply and the power level will be determined by the resistance of the coil fitted and the batteries ability to supply that power ... there is no control circuit in the loop :)

All DNA's however are not created equal IMO ... the original eVolv DNA's seem to have a degree of reliability , that a lot of the clone versions coming out of China do not have .

SO basically ANY mod in which the power is supplied via a PCB and modulation circuit , can be considered regulated , ANY mod where the battery is connected straight to the atomiser is UNREGULATED :)

3. Tanysha

Tanysha New Member

For further clarification, DNA is basically just a brand name Evolv put on a line of boards which happen to be used in a number of different devices by different manufacturers.

Other vv\vw mods just use different boards made by different companies. Evics use a joyetech board, provaris use a provape board, etc, etc.

Innokin are actually in partnership now to use evolvs dna boards in upcoming devices.

4. goozer

goozer New Member

Thanks Fatman & Nakor - so if I have this correct a ZEN ZNA30 or a VaporShark rdna is just as safe as an Innokin Itaste 134 or an Evic etc?

5. asian babe

asian babe New Member

Safe yes... but be careful , be.comse some versions of the DNA do not have reverse polarity protection ... so you MUST make sure the batteries go in the right way !!! Or Poof all the hard work and $$'s are gone !

Genuine eVolv data sheet here for DNA 30
    http://www.evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna30.pdf

6. lovejav.biz

lovejav.biz New Member

Cheers Fatman !!:eagerness:

7. Serious Answers Only

Serious Answers Only New Member

It might be worth mentioning that the DNA30 boards only regulate voltage up, not down. This means you may occasionally get more power than you want from the device, depending on the resistance and type of atomiser you're using.

8. maybe_baby

maybe_baby New Member

Umm thanks VTM but can you dumb that down even further for me ( newby alert !!!)

So if I was using a 2.1ohm clearo/atomiser/carto in a DNA 30 device what do you mean ?

9. straponfen

straponfen New Member

Basically it means that regardless of the wattage you have selected, if the battery is outputting 4 volts and you want less, you will get 4 volts.

10. aaa666

aaa666 New Member

Using your example, if you want to vape that 2.1 ohm atomiser at 7 watts, you won't be able to, even though that's within the stated wattage range of the DNA30. You need 3.8 volts to achieve 7 watts (according to Ohm's Law), and the DNA30 won't regulate below 4 volts.

11. carla

carla New Member

Okey dokey - thanks IMB and VTM. I 'think' I understand - sort of, possibly, maybe.

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it , eventually....

12. FunctionalDisfunctions

FunctionalDisfunctions New Member

Don't worry too much about it. You only really need to know this stuff well if you get into rebuilding. In most cases, the DNA30 will work just fine, and you'll naturally learn more as you become familiar with your device.

13. Dalene578

Dalene578 New Member

Cheers buddy - have no plans to get into rebuilding but who knows down the track. Major plan at this point in time is to get into vaping and OFF the bungers with an appropriate device/set up for me that doesn't involve worrying about whether the device in my pocket is going to blow up and .comse me, or someone else, serious bodily injury/harm be.comse I have NFI what I'm doing...

cheers :encouragement:

14. lucyneto

lucyneto New Member

Hi, since we are in the topic of DNAs, what DNA would you recommend or had personal experience with that is affordable?
    Is 100watts really necessary? Using the ohms law calculator, to achieve 4v on a 0.5 build, you only need 32watts? What happens when you crank it up to 100w?? Would that make the battery life shorter?

Thanks again guys, and welcome to vaping nicaholic

15. nkbnkb

nkbnkb New Member

:encouragement: