Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Di propylene glycol

Discussion in 'Vape DIY Juice / Recipes / Mixing' started by Ms Take, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Ms Take

Ms Take New Member

Hi all I bought a bunch of bottles a few days ago and saw they had pg at a good price so I bundled in with the postage. Didn't realise till it arrived that it is DIpropylene glycol.

Does the DI at the start affect anything? From what I've found it is non toxic so I think it will be fine to use

From another thread
    "General Toxicity Observations
    Upon reviewing the available toxicity information, the Agency has concluded that there are no endpoints of concern for oral, dermal, or inhalation exposure to propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol.”

Good ol' wiki
    Dipropylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the stuff I bought
    500 g Di Propylene Glycol - New Directions

just thought I'd ask just in case anyone knows a vaper specific issue with this liquid

2. KashaHend

KashaHend New Member

Im pretty sure its no good. I wouldnt use it. The Di at the start is short for Die, that will happen if you keep vaping it.

3. angelasussd419

angelasussd419 New Member

Chemical makeup
    DIPropylene: C6 H14 O3
    Propylene: C3 H8 O2

Both are used in skin/hair products etc

4. lrebuxyi

lrebuxyi New Member

Di propylene glycol on that site is listed under solvents whereas propylene glycol is listed under humectants. Don't think I'd be vaping something listed as a solvent. I may be wrong but that's my opinion.

5. napGuavy

napGuavy New Member

Chuck it, move on :)

6. Totalledo

Totalledo New Member

Dipropylene Glycol has a higher boiling point than normal PG , it is also chemically different ... propylene glycol is a GRAS ( generally recognised as safe ) in regard to food , I cant see any reference to DiPropylene being .comded as the same .

Dipropylene is more commonly used in theatrical fog machines , so it "might "be ok for inhalation , but I personally wouldnt ?

Have a read thru this from Dow Chemical
    About Propylene Glycols | Dow Propylene Glycols

Diprop is manufactured to a cosmetic std rather than a pharma std .... the two are related chemical , but different enough to make me convinced of not using it .... given that PG is readily available and has a track record in inhalation research I would opt for it rather than save the bucks vaping a probably safe , but unknown alternative

Another related quote

Literature Review for Glycerol and Glycols for Entertainment Services & Technology Association

HSE Consulting and Sampling, Inc.

“Overall, the toxicity data for glycerol and the glycols of concern examined in this report are fairly low. When comparing the order of toxicity for each compound based on the LD50 in rats, the least toxic material is propylene glycol (PG), followed by glycerol (G), triethylene glycol (TEG), diethylene glycol (DEG), dipropylene glycol (DPG), and the most toxic being 1,4-butylene glycol (BG). This information is consistent with the acute and chronic toxicities for PG, G, and TEG. PG, G, and TEG’s toxicity data appears to be well studied and demonstrates low occupational hazards.”

So in the Glycol family it is 2nd to worst in terms of toxic outcome of a generally non toxic bunch :)

Or as ccc said

7. pasyaereyu

pasyaereyu New Member

Had a look at the msds for pg and dpg. Both are listed as a solvent.

Cheers for that one fatman I think I'll just whack it in the fog machine for the next mosh pit in my lounge room. Shame about that cos now I'll have to wait to start on my 9 concentrates :hurt:

8. SeaF

SeaF New Member

Grab some PG of peter at E-cigs SA ... I am using that now , its quite good :)

9. Squeepe

Squeepe New Member

I have about 40ml left from last time I saw him but he's closed till the 20th I will try a chemist tomorrow (or can I only get vg there?)

10. mislanious

mislanious New Member

*Fixeded for ya FM :D

* This is in no way a slur on e-cigs SA, who I believe are a very reputable vendor.

11. -~~Rain~~-

-~~Rain~~- New Member

I am beginning to be awesomely worried about your fantasies of me now Noe :p

Some chemists do carry PG ... usually David Craig Galenicals .. also a good PG :)

12. herko

herko New Member

I'm not sure how imagining you using PG, to kill bacteria in your bath tub, equals "Noe has fantasies about me" but you're a strange man FM, so I won't think about it too much :p

13. bogkorotholive

bogkorotholive New Member

Does 100% pg with essence of fatman have to be steeped for better flavor?

14. niganna

niganna New Member

Fatman ..... you use PG in your bathtub ???

Do you get extra bubbles or something ? Is it something I need to have a go at ?
    Cheers
    Sodd
    (still a sodd)

15. alex les

alex les New Member

It takes the bubbles longer to get to the surface when I fart and increases my bathing pleasure :)

16. CHRISTINE S

CHRISTINE S New Member

Fatman, that sounds so cool, almost as good as letting one rip in bed and pulling the covers over the wife's head :):)

Hey, I think that was quite a poetic comment !

I need to go to bed, too many Bourbies :)
    Cheers
    Sodd

17. jvwyffo8r

jvwyffo8r New Member

PG reduces surface tension, meaning that bubbles last longer than normal ;)
    In FM's case, it means his fart bubbles linger longer, giving him extended olfactory pleasure, as the bubbles pop :p

18. iStarPatch

iStarPatch New Member

Noe,
    From your vocabulary I tell you are an educated man :)

Cheers
    Sodd

19. Shipanime247

Shipanime247 New Member

AHAH !!! Got you !!! Dead to rights !!!

It MUST be your fantasy ... be.comse in MY reality there are NOOOOOOO olfactory pleasures , as you are well aware !!!
    Ipso Facto ... the Fat wins again :D

20. ghostdog

ghostdog New Member

Exactly my point, you can't smell the farts, so you gain olfactory pleasure from the bubbles ;)

You must be a sick, sick individual indeed to think that my fantasy involves a naked bathing Fatman, farting in a bath tub, with PG added to create longer lasting fart bubbles!!!

Sheesh, I'm just glad I don't add PG to my baths & that when I fart it dissipates quickly, let alone sniffing someone elses fart for an extended or even a short duration ! :disgust: