Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Copper Patina Methods

Discussion in 'Vape Mod Talk' started by caracho, Jul 15, 2015.

1. caracho

caracho New Member

Alright, not sure if this is the best place to put this since it can go with toppers too but I'm looking to compile different patina methods and results. What have you tried? Do you have a favorite? What are the results (beautimous pictures preferably! ;) )

I've been experimenting with common household goods on my copper Hades. I tried the boiled egg method which yeilded a patina but it was pretty weak. I did it for probably about 24 hours and it all ended up rubbing/washing off quite easily. I also tried a method using vinegar and steel wool that yielded a good patina but it washed right off. My next attempt will be with liver sulpher. Not a common household good but easy to acquire.

What's your favorite method and show us your purdies!

2. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

With my Tarus dripper I rubbed it down with vinegar, handled it for a couple hours, dunked it in Jack and Coke, handled it for a few more hours, rinsed with water and let it set a few days. Nice dark, hard patina that doesn't wash off!

3. sands_harry

sands_harry New Member

Was the jack and coke dunk on purpose or just happened to.. happen lol?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

4. RoslynQMN

RoslynQMN New Member

On purpose, to stop the vinegar reaction and the Coke acid started another faze of the aging, the water then neutralized the Coke.
    Next time you need to clean your battery terminals pour a can of Coke over them first! Coke is very acidic.

5. simplicity778

simplicity778 New Member

Definitely going to try this since I have everything here. Except I hope Pepsi will work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

6. megaultradebil2

megaultradebil2 New Member

Like I say, handle it in between to get the acids from your skin on it good as well! My Tarus has solid thumb print in it from the vinegar. Then give it a few days to settle in good.

7. Instrukteur

Instrukteur New Member

Liver sulfer worked awesome.

[​IMG]

8. porkchop4

porkchop4 New Member

Hey looks great. Question...I have a copper nemesis that has a lot of scratches and scuffs due to a rather hard life as my daily companion. I was curious if I should buff out the scratches before trying the patina or if it would possibly add to the new appearance.

9. terrasobol

terrasobol New Member

It will add a new appearance as it patinas, you can buff it, but you will have to start all over again. A lot of times the light/dark areas add a lot of character to items.

10. NevermoreFairy

NevermoreFairy New Member

Hey look, Labla has a patina thread! Any patina you want to keep needs a good clear coat. VTF engine enamel is the best I've found and doesn't take forever to cure, handles the heat well too. I've done so many in the last month. Just keep redoing a mod until I like the result, then seal it up. :)

@boblabla did you add any salt to the eggs when you did that one? I'm going to be trying my first egg patina this week and that's what I hear works well...

11. gavilan_rood

gavilan_rood New Member

These were done with a few different types of vinegar, table and sea salt left in a foam cooler over night. Then clear coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. antille

antille New Member

You could clean your copper well heat it and spray or dip in urine dry and seal.
    or you could try one of these...

1. Light to Dark BrownIngredients

Ferric Nitrate... 1/2 tsp[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 pint

Process

Hot or cold process. (Red to reddish brown has also been reported using this recipe.)

Back to Index

2. Brown to BlackIngredients

Sulfurated Potashgrape sized lump (crushed).[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 pint

Process

Hot or cold process. Use fresh solution each time.

Back to Index

3. Blackish BrownIngredients

Ferric Nitrate... 2 oz[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 pintSulfurated Potash... 1/4 oz[MORE INFO]

Process

Hot or cold process. Mix in the order given.

Back to Index

4. Florentine BrownIngredients

Ferric Chloride... 1 tsp[MORE INFO]Ferric Nitrate... 1/2 tsp[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 pint

Process

Hot or cold process. This old Italian formula produces a rich brown patina.

Back to Index

Ingredients

Ammonium Chloride... 1/3 oz[MORE INFO]Cupric Sulfate... 3 oz[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 quart

Process

Hot process. Solution hot (180 to 190°F), metal hot (200°F), cold wash water applied after metal has cooled to around 100°F. Wash solution over metal surface, let dry, then wash piece in cool water. Repeat until color develops.

Back to Index

6. Basic GreenIngredients

Cupric Nitrate... 1 tsp[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 pint

Process

Hot process, semi-transparent patina. Heat metal and apply a fresh mixture for each coloring.

Back to Index

7. Blue GreenIngredients

Sodium Thiosulfate... 1/4 oz[MORE INFO]Ferric Nitrate... 2 oz[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 quart

Process

Hot process. Solution hot (180 to 190°F), metal hot (200°F), cold wash water applied after metal has cooled to around 100°F. Wash solution over metal surface, let dry, then wash piece in cool water. Repeat until color develops. For Yellow Green, dip in dilute nitric acid, then wash and dry.

Back to Index

8. Cold Process GreenIngredients

Cupric Nitrate... 40 gm[MORE INFO]Ammonium Chloride... 40 gm[MORE INFO]Calcium Chloride... 40 gm[MORE INFO]Distilled Water to make 1 liter

Process

A cold process, opaque patina. Frog green results after several applications, 1/2 hour intervals. Color is not satisfactory alone. Combines well with most brown and black cold process patinas.

Back to Index

Ingredients

Sodium Thiosulfate... 6-8 oz.[MORE INFO]Ferric Nitrate... 2-3 oz.[MORE INFO]Distilled Water ... 1 gal.

Process

Hot process. Solution and metal hot (140 to 160°F).

Back to Index

Ingredients

Sodium Thiosulfate... 8 oz.[MORE INFO]Lead Acetate... 1-3 oz.[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 gal.

Process

A cold process that is said to work well on brass.

Back to Index

11. Green - Blue (Flemish)Ingredients

Sodium Thiosulfate... 8 oz.[MORE INFO]Lead Acetate... 1-3 oz.[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 gal.

Process

Temperature at 170 to 190°F, a hot process especially for brass.

Back to Index

12. Purple to Light GreenIngredients

Sodium Chloride... 5 parts[MORE INFO]Ammonium Hydroxide... 4 parts[MORE INFO]

Process

Parts by weight. Early stages of this recipe produce purple. Additional applications and chemical action turn the metal light green.

Back to Index

13. Transparent BlueIngredients

Sodium Thiosulfate... 60 gm[MORE INFO]Nitric Acid Concentrated... 4 gm[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1 quart

Process

A transparent, dip process patina. A preservative such as paste wax or polyurethane is necessary. May produce a grey blue when tap water is used.

Back to Index

14. BlueIngredients

Sulfurated Potash... 15 gm[MORE INFO]Ammonium Chloride... 200 gm[MORE INFO]Distilled Water 1 quart

Process

Brush onto surface.

Back to Index

Ingredients

Ferric Nitrate... 1/2 tsp[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1/2 pint

Process

Heat metal and apply hot liquid.

Back to Index

16. Golden YellowIngredients

Sodium Thiosulfate... 1/4 oz[MORE INFO]Ferric Nitrate... 2 oz[MORE INFO]Distilled Water 1 quart

Process

Heat solution to a boil. Dip.

Back to Index

17. Deep Rust RedIngredients

Cupric Nitrate... 48 grains[MORE INFO]Ammonium Chloride... 48 grains[MORE INFO]Calcium Chloride... 20 grains[MORE INFO]Cupric Sulfate... 10 grains[MORE INFO]Oxalic Acid... 10 grains[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 4 ozNitric Acid 10%

Process

Brush to surface for color. Then dip into diluted (1 acid:8 water) Nitric acid for 1/2 hour, remove, wash and dry.

Back to Index

18. PurpleIngredients

Sodium Chloride... 5 parts[MORE INFO]Ammonium Hydroxide... 4 parts[MORE INFO]Ammonium Chloride... 5 parts[MORE INFO]Glacial Acetic Acid... 4 parts[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 32 parts

Process

Parts by weight. Brush to surface.

Back to Index

Ingredients

Bismuth Nitrate... 2 tsp.[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 8 oz.

Process

Heat metal and apply liquid. Variations of this formula add a pinch ofSulfurated Potash,Ferric Nitrate, orCupric Nitratefor a slight coloring effect.

Back to Index

Formulas Suggested for Specific Metals.20. Red - semi-matt (for Copper & Copper Plate)Ingredients

(A)Cupric Sulfate... 25 gm[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1L(B)Ammonium Chloride... 0.5 gm[MORE INFO]

Process

Boil immersion (A) 15 min.

Boil immersion (A)+(B) 10 min.

Immerse in boiling cupric sulfate solution about 15 min. or until color well developed.

Remove to hot water while ammonium chloride is added to the cupric sulfate solution. Then immerse about 10 min. Remove and wash in hot water. Dry and finish.

Back to Index

21. Dull Pink (for Copper & Copper Plate)Ingredients

Cupric Nitrate... 1 tsp[MORE INFO]Nitric Acid 10%... 100 ml[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1L

Process

Hot immersion - 5 min.

Immerse in hot solution (140-158°F, 60-70°C) which etches surface. Remove after 5 min., wash in warm water and air dry. Wax finish.

Back to Index

22. Red-Purple Satin (For Cast Bronze and Brass)Ingredients

Cupric Sulfate... 25 gm[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1L

Process

Boiling immersion (10 to 30 min.)

Immerse in boiling solution. A reddish orange color begins after 2-3 min. and deepens with continued immersion. When a reddish-purple color is attained from 10 to 30 min. remove and wash well in hot water. Dry and wax finish if choose.

Back to Index

23. Orange-Brown (For Cast Bronze and Brass)Ingredients

Cupric Acetate... 25 gm[MORE INFO]Cupric Sulfate... 19 gm[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1L

Process

Heat immersion (15 min)

Immerse in hot solution (176°F, 80°C). Color develops gradually and remove after 15 min. Wash and dry wax finish if choose.

Back to Index

24. Black - semi-gloss (For Cast Bronze and Brass)Ingredients

Sodium Thiosulfate... 50 gm[MORE INFO]Ferric Nitrate... 12.5 gm[MORE INFO]Distilled Water... 1L

Process

Hot immersion (20 min.)

Immerse in hot solution (140-158°F, 60-70°C). In one minute the surface is colored blue-purple. This recedes to a brown color, then changing to gray. After 20 min., remove, washing in hot water and dry in air. Handle as little as possible.

Back to Index

25. Blue Green (For Cast Bronze and Brass)Ingredients

Cupric Sulfate... 20 gm[MORE INFO]Cupric Acetate... 20 gm[MORE INFO]Ammonium Chloride... 10 gm[MORE INFO]Acetic Acid(6% soln.)... to form a paste.[MORE INFO]

Process

Applied paste - several days.

Using a mortar and pestle, grind ingredients to a creamy paste with the acetic acid. Apply paste to object with a soft brush giving a thick coating. Dry for one day. Wash dry residue away under cold water using a soft brush. Apply a thin layer of paste with a soft cloth and dry again for one day. Wash off residue again. Apply thin layer and dry until good variegated patina is achieved. When treatment completed, dry thoroughly. May be waxed.

Back to Index

26. Golden Yellow (For Cast Bronze and Brass)Ingredients

Cupric Sulfate... 50 gm[MORE INFO]Ferrous Sulfate... 5 gm[MORE INFO]Zinc Sulfate... 5 gm[MORE INFO]Potassium PermanganateDistilled Water... 1L

Process

Boiling immersion (15 min.)

Immerse object in boiling solution. A dark brown layer forms on surface after 1-2 min. Remove object and bristle-brush under hot water. Re-immerse and repeat process after 2 min. if necessary. Immerse again to approximately 15 min. remove and wash thoroughly in hot water using a bristle brush if necessary. Dry and wax finish of choice.

lean your copper well. You can heat the metal and spray urine on it let it sit.
    must use a sealer of some sort. Clearcoat wax something...

Or you could try one of these...

13. lnhtxay62l

lnhtxay62l New Member

Got a couple new ones:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ClaiveWalpletcherbna

ClaiveWalpletcherbna New Member

I just put up a page on FB to host a gallery of the patinas I've been doing, for now. If you want to check it out go to FB and search for "Dready's Mod Spa". Hope to see a few of you there :) Or just click below:
    https://www.facebook.com/dreadymod

15. millypeed my choccie Lab

millypeed my choccie Lab New Member

I have commented before, but I cannot stress enough, how beautiful these are!

May I ask...How do you "cover/seal" the areas that you do not want to patina? I am getting up the courage to try one myself, but would appreciate your guidance in this area, if you are willing.

Thanks!

16. floatsam

floatsam New Member

Yiu can seal it with a spray clear coat or let it patina with the rest. & sand off afterwards, depends on the situation.