Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Cheap VV mod with display.

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Bloo, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Bloo

Bloo New Member

Since starting vaping I've been keen to make a simple mod. I have basic electronics skills harking back to the days of step by step rotary switch telephone exchanges :)

I found this very simple circuit on ECF to try as a starting point.
    It's called the Poorvari and hails from the Philippines.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/189320-my-poorvari-mod.html

Excluding batteries, the total cost was $30, though the digital display cost me $10.50 shipped so without the readout this thing can be made for less than 20 bucks. More savings could be made on some components.

It works like a champ - but the major drawback is that it needs to be opened so that the batteries can be removed for charging - so it's not terrible practical at this stage - If anyone can give me a few clues on how to mod this to connect a charger please let me know.

Battery life isn't bad - probably half a day but I haven't given it a big workout yet.
    Anyway, for anyone wanting to try a mod - this is a nice starter and a bit of fun.

buggy.

Excuse the agricultural nature of the assembly - I elected not to fix the display in place as I intend to reuse it in the future,

View attachment 647 View attachment 648 View attachment 649

2. MarianoHarmon

MarianoHarmon New Member

Could just gut a charger and take the pcb.
    Whereabouts did you get all the parts? Interested in making one.

3. Luis

Luis New Member

Problem is the charger has them in parallel, whereas in the mod they are in series - so not sure about the best way to go about this.

I bought the jiffy box, resistors, led, switches & pot from Jaycar.
    The LM350T was from Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/180660199329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

as was the digital display http://www.ebay.com/itm/260855855853?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Shipping took about a week for the voltage display from Hong Kong.

Edit : Atty Connector came from Juicewhore.

buggy.

4. Fabiench

Fabiench New Member

5. Drearkcaw

Drearkcaw New Member

That looks great Johnny - a smart charger !

If I was to use one of these should I modify the circuit in any way?
    Just looking for a general direction - I can usually work out the details.

Cheers, buggy.

6. badmasswifta921

badmasswifta921 New Member

Slightly off-topic, but I was reading the feedback on that charger and the following popped up on the page:

One time only offer!

Hello shopper!
    We noticed you've been looking at this product for a while and we would like to offer you a discount. If you click on the add to cart button below we can offer you this product for $10.82.
    This offer will only show once.
    If you leave this page or close this window you will not see this offer again.
    $10.82

Haven't seen that on an online shop before. Very odd.

7. Ace

Ace New Member

nice - psyching out the impulse buyers :D

8. lkrpeod72f

lkrpeod72f New Member

9. Annetaize

Annetaize New Member

Thanks again! Much easier than I thought - I've been a bit concerned given the reputation that these batteries have for blowing body parts off :)

10. гарик

гарик New Member

If u have the 2 batteries In Series but run it at standard voltage will it have the same charge life as if they were in parallel or only the life of 1 battery?

11. Azu

Azu New Member

It will only have the life of one battery. This design uses a linear regulator so depending on the output voltage a good portion of the power is lost as heat in the regulator. To get the best battery life run it at high voltage with a HV attie.

12. thaFalkon

thaFalkon New Member

Hmm Thx jib looks like my box mod will have to be just a bit bigger to accomadate 2 18650's instead of the planned 14500's now I just have to find a battery holder thingy that is big enough, C size holder should be big enough with a lil modification