Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Cause for concern?

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by dslava, Sep 9, 2015.

1. dslava

dslava New Member

View attachment 477

The above is a dodgy box mod I put together with an 18650. Not the solder burns on the box to show my expertise!!!

My question is should I be concerned about using an eGo charger soldered in as a constant charge device kinda like a passthru? As far as I know the eGo charger circuit should cut out when the battery is full.

2. Bloogma

Bloogma New Member

You should be ok with that arrangement but I would monitor the 18650's voltage the first time you try charge it. It should level out at 4.2 volts. If it keeps going up from there you have a problem.

3. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

Ta Johnny.

4. Rika

Rika New Member

If you're using a protected batt it shouldn't matter as it will stop accepting charge at 4.2v or just below. I use direct USB in a modded Revo2, cuts off at 4.18v.

5. Sandy

Sandy New Member

That's not true. It may cut-off at ~4.35. Way too high. These are meant as fail-safes, nothing more.

When I was playing around with a plain 5V wall wart to charge a TF14500 Li-Ion it actually got to 4.4V before it tripped.

6. dominick

dominick New Member

No problem Johnny, I'll rephrase to say they should cutoff at 4.2 or below. Honestly though, I've not had an issue with over voltage on TF protection boards (both 14500 and 18650).

7. bigdog

bigdog New Member

Not to belabor the point, the charger's circuit does the voltage cut-off, not the cell's PCB.

There were those Boge 510 disposables than were popular for awhile. Those 'chargers' (they were actually just dumb power supplies) would cook regular e-cig batteries as folks found out the hard way.

8. Billy G

Billy G New Member

As hobbyists we don't always do everything by the book. ;)