Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Can I ask a newbie question?

Discussion in 'Vape DIY Juice / Recipes / Mixing' started by asrarova, Oct 19, 2015.

1. asrarova

asrarova New Member

About concentrates ... do they need to be mixed with PG/VG first? I was looking at some TPA flavour concentrates and was thinking that there is no way that you would add 10-15% of concentrate to a recipe with nic base, so am thinking the concentrate needs to be watered down. Soooo.. if I was go to make say 15ml of flavour would it be, say, 10% concentrate and the rest 50% PG and 40% VG and this mix would then go into a recipe with nic base as the flavour? Making the recipe 50% (18mg) Nic Base, 3.5% PG, 31.5% VG, 15% flavour.

Apologies for the stupid question, just trying to get my head around this and am hoping I am on the right track and not derailing myself.

2. tester1974

tester1974 New Member

Hi Ginar

Most TPA flavors are PG based, what percentage you mix of the concentrate is up to you but it is better to start off low and work you way up.

Do yourself a favor and download eJuice Me Up calculator from here eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

If you mixed say 50/50 nic at 36 mg and you wanted it to 18mg and end up 50PG/50VG you would have this

7.5 ml of nic
    3 ml of PG
    3 ml of VG
    1.5 ml of concentrate

Hope this helped.

3. Andie

Andie New Member

Thanks Wayno, think I have got it. I have the calculator, but got stumped be.comse to date I have been using doublers and e-juice already mixed with a nic base. The nic base I have is a PG base. So using your recipe I won't have to mix the concentrate with PG/VG, just 1.5ml straight in and then steep for however long it takes?

With the calculator I assumed that the amount of flavour it said (2.25ml) was based on a flavour that was already mixed down with PG/VG.

4. Flanilar

Flanilar New Member

Hi ginar,
    As wayno said, start off with a low percentage of concentrate. I usually go by the smell and what type of concentrate it is. If its strong on smell it usually requires very little. fruits concentrates also tend to become chemical like and perfumery if over used.
    I use this calculator http://www.ecigvape.com/pgvg_calculator.php it's simple enough and has pg/vg adjusting.
    Just punch in what nic u have, what final nic result and pg/vg ratio u want and the percentage of flavour u want to use and it will let u know everything to make.
    I would make a small sample, starting with low percentage of concentrate say 5%. Take notes and adjust for next mixing session.

5. jocelynun16

jocelynun16 New Member

What final ratio of PG/VG do you want to end up with be.comse you are going to have to add vg. Look at the bottom of the calculator and you put your desired PG/VG there and calculate it.

Also what strength is you nic? this will help us to let you know percentages.

6. lostblackjackqueen

lostblackjackqueen New Member

The nic base in 36mg. I have the calculator set at 50/50.

7. blaaskaak

blaaskaak New Member

on 5ml mix with 10% concentrate you will need 2.25ml of VG as well as the 2.5 ml of nic.

8. thelmelcorema

thelmelcorema New Member

Ok, think I have got it, thanks heaps for all the help. I will order some concentrates and let you know how I go.

9. dremKeecy

dremKeecy New Member

Those figures are wrong for a 5ml mix. 10% of 5ml is 0.5ml so the total of your figures would be 5.25ml.
    It also doesn't give a 50/50 ratio, since the concentrate is counted as PG for ratio calculations.
    So the ratio is going to be 55/45 PG/VG if you use 2.25ml of 100% PG based nic with 2.25ml plain VG & 0.5ml concentrate but your nic strength isn't going to be 18mg/ml, it'll be 16.2mg/ml.
    Or you can drop 0.25ml VG instead & have 18mg/ml 60/40 PG/VG juice.

10. dullover1986

dullover1986 New Member

Exactly right, at 1 o'clock in the morning it was a bit blurred, I went to bed and thought shit should have been 2ml be.comse that would add up to 100 at 60/40. Thought bugger it someone will correct it, so accept my apology Ginar, and next time you ask a question I won't answer if it's after midnight lol.