Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Another little project to keep me amused

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by bbb74, Nov 10, 2015.

1. bbb74

bbb74 New Member

Hi People

A couple of days ago, one of the vendors had up a a DSE pipe for sale. Pretty cute, but that type have an.comtomatic switch, where when you suck the thing fires. Not a believer in the longevity of those, harking back to my noob days of vaping.

The other type have a mechanical switch. Very reliable, but do require some maintenance, and usually fairly expensive. I have a Jaz Cartopipe and a fine piece of kit it is.

I decided to have a go at building one using eGo electrics. Had a browse on the UTube thing and found one guy who had built one using eGo. Gave me some ideas, but I decided to go another route and try and use a “Touch Switch” That way there would be no moving parts, but a little more difficult to fit everything in the bowl, and find a lid for it!!

Anyway this is the result. While holding the pipe, there are two contacts to touch. There is a small brass contact on the bottom and the other contact is the cap. This was made from the original metal bowl from the pipe, with an inset 5 cent coin soldered in. (Singapore 5 cent)

The battery is a 16340 880mah, and is charged after popping the lid and screwing in an eGo charger. Down side is I have to use an extension adapter, but it work like a charm.

2. baexeypetrovy487

baexeypetrovy487 New Member

A few more pics, and as you will have noticed they are not in any order!!!

3. darek6

darek6 New Member

Very cool Rob , I like your style:D

4. alefftinka

alefftinka New Member

fuk yeah that looks fantastic !! I have one of these and 2 jazz carto pipes, i love the jazz but i wish i had the orb type tank !

5. npaidasejj

npaidasejj New Member

Hi people

Well it seems I have the pipe building bug!!

This one is slightly different to the first one in that I wanted to try and keep the overall size the same, with no sticky out bits. I am not a user of Cartomizers, but this one uses them. The touch switch is the same with slight modification to help keep the size down and get all the bits into the bowl, along with the battery and a charging port. Had to do it this way as the battery is hard wired. Just too hard to make it removable.

For anybody interested in having a play around, the total cost to build this was around twelve dollars. Yes I am cheap!!!

What I am looking for now is a fairly solid pipe rack that will allow me to build a charging station. The intention is to fit a couple of magnets into the pipe, and a couple into the rack, connected to the charge circuit. That way the thing will lock into position and feed its self. Don’t want to spend much cash on this tho’!!!

6. Vegas Matt

Vegas Matt New Member

Just a few more images. The real one at the back is the real "Jaz Carto" pipe with a Liquinator Mod.

7. sun_and_moon_1973

sun_and_moon_1973 New Member

I needs me a pipe :)
    Some great work there as always Rob ... love the idea of magnetic docking for the charging ... you are giving me ideas that are gonna cost me !

8. madere

madere New Member

Hey Fatman

Don't know how interested you are but a good starting point are these pipes on eBay. The main benefit for me apart from being cheap and free shipping, was the fact I didn't have to open up the bowl to take the battery etc. Just remove the metal insert and there is plenty of room to play.

BRAND NEW SMOKING PIPE HAOJUE FOR TOBACCO BOXED UK SELLER | eBay

9. Boru

Boru New Member

Just bought 3 of them for $11 shipped ( it was 0.99p shipping on each lol )
    Would the bowl take a 16340 Rob?
    Funnily enough I just ordered a shyteload of mini rare earth magnets the other day for another project
    ( I also got a mini 1a.comto lithuim charger board for less than $3 )

I like cheap mods LOL

10. Lisa V

Lisa V New Member

11. JuckTeseefe

JuckTeseefe New Member

lol 1c bid ya tight arse lol

12. dalLaloGabs

dalLaloGabs New Member

Cant disagree with that,

but when I purchased it was for the full "Buy Now" price if one pound seventy five pence, with free shipping. I got five for under nine quid shipped!!!!

13. monerol

monerol New Member

The first one I did used a 18350 and the second was 16340, which was better as it gave a little more wiggle room.

14. notaviable

notaviable New Member

Cool :)
    Yeah unfortunately I think the seller of the pipes cottoned onto the free shipping bit lol hes added 99p for international orders now .. still a great find tho , thanks Rob .

I also have in mind a fully electric relay switch if I can figure it out something along the lines of an infrared detection unit ... senses the body heat thru a window ... nothing to ever go wrong , no moving parts ... just got to figure a way to prevent misfires

15. paashaas

paashaas New Member

I think you will be struggling to fit this into the bowl along with the battery??Size: 30*15mm

Looks like a handy charger for a box mod tho'

16. Mantlegen

Mantlegen New Member

I was thinking of having the charger in the pipe stand Rob , and using the magnetic contacts to lock onto steel charge plates in the pipe body to charge :)
    So the pipe stand becomes a docking charger

17. Smaximago

Smaximago New Member

You are going to be struggling with that concept. It would need a switch to isolate the battery. Whats wrong with the touch switch circuit I used?? It just needs to be touched at two places for it to fire. This is the one I used, but without the LED

18. pwrycpkntboo

pwrycpkntboo New Member

OK I am loving that switch arrangement Rob ... that was gonna be my next question to you , but you anticipated me :)
    done deal , why would I try to improve on yours .. neat and very functional

19. avhtbvf7a

avhtbvf7a New Member

Good thinking Batman!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of dismantling a regular ego charger and using that wired into the dock. I have a bunch of them lying around feeling neglected!!