Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

A noobs guide to modding

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by korifeich, Sep 16, 2015.

1. korifeich

korifeich New Member

OK kiddies, time to get serious.

In the 3 months since I've been vaping I've tried heaps of different combinations and have decided it's finally time to start experimenting with some custom mods.

So far I've got:
    1. Heaps of syringes including a handful of 20ml
    2. CE2XL and Boge cartos for experimenting

I figure I'll need:
    1. A Dremel
    2. A hacksaw
    3. A glue gun

And also might need:
    1. Aluminum and/or PVC tubing
    2. More O rings

Is there anything else I've missed that is a must?
    How about links to some basic projects to start with?

I'm hoping we fan use this thread for the experienced modders to help the noobs learn the ropes. So let's go!

2. ReereaH

ReereaH New Member

you forgot

1 X set of balls
    2 X packs of bandaids
    1 X Large rubbish bin
    1 X Large glass of water for when it leaks in your mouth and you need to rinse.

all you really need IMO then again im too lazy to mod

3. EAYNMEhXFK

EAYNMEhXFK New Member

Add a tube cutter to the tool list, it makes cutting syringes much easier and neater (you do need to insert something firm inside the tube to avoid it squashing though).
    Bunnings have them for less than $10.

[​IMG]

4. Sgt Remeriz

Sgt Remeriz New Member

You can recoup the cost very quickly using this to do backyard circumcisions as well....

5. maximsyandext2407

maximsyandext2407 New Member

Glue lined heatshrink is very useful, available Jaycar, 19mm for 10ml syringes, then of course you'd need to add a hot air gun to your list.

Edit: perhaps this thread should be moved to modding & technical

6. vickege

vickege New Member

Thanks for the tips! And thanks for the mods moving this to the right forum (oops, baby brain strikes again).

Haven't had a chance tontry any of this yet. Between changing, feeding, bathing and screaming I was lucky enough to get out of the house long enough to get groceries today, let alone having a chance to mod stuff!

Those 20ml syringes are staring at me. I think they're trying to make me feel guilty.

7. Analnaips

Analnaips New Member

Here is my first attempt at a MAP Tank. Holds about 8ml.

Introducing the SaS-Tank Mark 1!

I'm going to leave it in a cup overnight just incase it springs a leak :)

View attachment 366

8. letterstoheather

letterstoheather New Member

looks like a beast

9. soheil89

soheil89 New Member

12 hours later and it is leaking just a little bit through the battery connector. I think I know why so I might have a go at Mark 2 tonight!

10. elakopajo

elakopajo New Member

What I'd be interested in is a shopping list of things needed to start making battery mods. Obviously I need the 510 (or whatever) connection.. I can get that from madvapes.com but I am wanting to know basically how to build one from scratch and all the components I would need to make:

1. Torch (or other single battery) mod to start with.
    2. 5v (dual battery) mod like I have now.
    3. Variable Voltage of a dual battery mod.

But want to start slow.. get the gist of it.. and then build up from there..

11. vsoqntlsub

vsoqntlsub New Member

Prolly got a little air coming in around the seals

12. Nuapyday

Nuapyday New Member

I tried to use a hot glue gun to seal everything up, with the glue won't attach to either the polycarbinate tubing nor the rubber grommet. I mean, it forms a wonderful plastic like mound but will break off in a single piece if stressed at all.

I think part of the problem is I damaged the bottom part of the tubing during construction so the battery connector is sitting in the grommet by itself, no tubing is left at the bottom, only a small amount at the top of the mouth piece.

13. dizzctopa4465

dizzctopa4465 New Member

I've tried epoxy, superglue and heat glue.... Nuffin sticks to the poly well enough to be worth the trouble.

My good tank mods have been with boges and XL dual cores and I've found that a hole punched in the rubber with a dead attie works nicely without glue. You need syringes with decent rubbers though. Some are too soft/very thin and arent stable enough. I started a thread hereabouts with the source for the ones I'm using.

14. gjvtfzwaiu

gjvtfzwaiu New Member

Glue lined heatshrink works extremely well

15. NureBoosque

NureBoosque New Member

For making a Gummy tank, what size hole have you guys found is perfect for using either Duel Coil or Boge cartos (so anything with fluval inside that just needs to be kept wet).

16. ribbrebra

ribbrebra New Member

Hole in the carto?

I use .08 mm. If you have one of the blunt 18g juice needles about this is a flea's gonad over that. Would be close enough though.

17. vamlerse

vamlerse New Member

Why bring my gonads into the discussion?

18. James1343

James1343 New Member

New lesson learnt the hard way. When using slotted Duel Coil XL's in a gummy tank, only cut one slot.

Why?

If you only cut one it's dead easy to fill almost completely. Use a single syringe from the bottom and angel the tank about 45 degrees with the slot facing up. Keep filling under the air bubble reaches the slot. Make sure you stop there.

When you have two slots you have to hold it upright (well up-side-down-right) and since the slot is your air hole, if you don't stop once the ejuice hits the slots you'll flood the carto, make a mess, and waste juice.

Had a disaster tonight as the last XL I cut I was tired and did two slots by accident. Built the tank around it after a good clean and filled. Except there was pretty much exactly a tanks worth in the syringe. The ejuice hit both slots and started to flood just as the syringe emptied and gave it's last gasp. The result was a half empty tank and an iPad covered in Purple Crunch.

At least the iPad cover smells wonderful now!