Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Why add water to eJuice?

Discussion in 'Vape DIY Juice / Recipes / Mixing' started by offersung06, Jan 7, 2016.

1. offersung06

offersung06 New Member

Noticed this eJuice Recipe Calculator has a field for 'Water Added (Optional)'.

I am familiar with adding PG (for throat hit & carrying the flavor), VG (for clouds), flavors and nicotine. But why would we add water to an eJuice mix? Is it a side effect of using flavors that are mixed in water? Or is there some specific effect of water that is beneficial to the vaping experience?

2. Askonly

Askonly New Member

As a thinner for VG without using alcohol. A very common mix is 80%VG and 20% water (no PG).

3. playcle

playcle New Member

some people have a reaction to pg (or just prefer not to use it), so like gt says, distilled water can be used to make vg thinner. some devices don't wick well with just vg due to how thick it is.

4. almost96

almost96 New Member

Have a look here. Some explanation, and follow the link to the topic on ECF.

5. maximumviolence666

maximumviolence666 New Member

So, the impression I am getting is that it can be used as a substitute for PG. Would you ever expect to see a formula that includes both PG and water?

I am wondering if I should add a field for 'Water' in my little calculator (see link in sig. or the e-Juice mixing calculator - needs testing thread).

But it is sounding more like I could just relabel the "PG" to "PG (or water)" or explain in the help that water can be swapped for PG for those who are sensitive to it..

6. acmyrbckhpqnc

acmyrbckhpqnc New Member

Dr F mentioned that as the coil heats up the water boils off(with no visible vapor) before the temperature reaches the point at which PG/VG vaporizes.

So I'd surmise that adding water may help wicking but won't add anything to the vapor production. It may reduce vapor production though given a percentage of the liquid wicking to the coil is not producing vapor.

I've never tried adding water, so this is all conjecture.

7. рромва

рромва New Member

Apologies for my ignorance, but a) Where did you get the quoted text? and b) What is ECF? (Google is throwing up 'Eastern Commercial Furniture'..)

8. aoeiquzbugbzy

aoeiquzbugbzy New Member

I have used PG, VG and water together in a mix before.

It would tend to clean the coil as well (similar to water injection in petrol engines).

9. usnomsbqc

usnomsbqc New Member

10. chinamigarden

chinamigarden New Member

11. metin_leon

metin_leon New Member

12. smiley123

smiley123 New Member

Why add salt to the mix? Cant you just put that on your veggies instead.

13. uttettyEffoft

uttettyEffoft New Member

Reputedly more hydration and flavour "popping" ...

14. Entistcus

Entistcus New Member

And arterie clogging. But yeah what ever. They use that shit in hospitals so I cant be too bad.

15. abakus

abakus New Member

if you are building a calculator, i would not have a calculation that was just "pg or water". reason being is that whilst it is thinner than vg, pg is still a lot thicker than water. if the reason someone was mixing water into their mix was to thin it to the same consistency they'd get with a certain amount of pg, the amount of water they would need would be a lot less.

16. NorineStr

NorineStr New Member

Forget the water. All it does is thin the VG and no benefit to the vape apart from MAYBE improve the wicking. As I always have a bottle of booze on the go, I use that. Vodka, whiskey, Brandy. It doesn't matter. Water is poisonous. Its been proved that 100% of people who drink water will die. Leave it alone!!

17. watchlive

watchlive New Member

Really? I thought you'd be right into using saline to make your nutsack awesomely big for a few hours.
    Or pecs.
    Or [deleted by good taste mod]

18. ugifmkirfo

ugifmkirfo New Member

100% of vapers will also die. Some but not all from aids.

19. Corn

Corn New Member

Never mind these cretins :p

I mixed up 60ml to take with me to Echuca earlier this month. That consisted of 12% PG nic (12mg/ml), 5% HoL Organic flavouring (50PG50VG), 20% demin water and the remainder VG (63%).