Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Soldering Multimeter leads to a 510-510 adapter, read watts / volts / ohms, possible?

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by Claire Bear!, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Claire Bear!

Claire Bear! New Member

Im just wondering if I attach my multimeter in line in my vp box via a 510-510 adapter will i be able to monitor volts, watts and atomiser resistance at a turn of the dial while using the device, or will I .comse problems.

Just a thought, was contemplating getting one of those inline voltmeter devices, but if I can use a $10 multimeter instead thats even better.

GaZ

2. Angry Grandma .

Angry Grandma . Member

you can measure ohms while the device is not firing, it wont hurt the ecig. You can measure volts while vaping but meter reading may be erratic or incorrect due to PWM.
    My fluke meters seem to read PWM just fine but I can't vouch for the accuracy of the cheapers meters. I suspect they will be just fine as they should display the average voltage.

The power is a bit trickier .. anyone with no maths interest turn off here.
    due to the FACT ;) the power is VxV/R the wattage is based on the voltage squared.
    for the sake of easy maths lets assume a 4v battery and a 1 ohm atty.
    full power will be 4x4/1 = 16W
    lets say we on 50% duty cycle .. the meter will read 2v
    simple calculations show the wattage as 2x2/1
    the reality is the device is putting out 16W 50% of the time.. so 8W.

so you need to work out the duty cycle from the voltage first and use that for calculations.
    full battery volts = Vb
    measured out = Vx
    atty R = R

P = Vx/Vb * Vb^2 /R
    = Vx * Vb /R

for example above..
    P = 2*4/1 = 8W

3. neo222

neo222 New Member

Stoney!!!!! are you rewriting the electrical engineering handbook????? quote: the power is VxVxR

4. stiloso

stiloso New Member

e=MC2

Or...

kerrrrrrrrrr-farkin-BOOOOOOOOOM!

5. marinero12

marinero12 New Member

so i cant measure ohms with the carto attached and firing be.comse there are resistances on both sides of the connector? Will it fuck anything if the mm is set to read resistance and i hit the vape button? Yeah if i know volts and resistance I can calculate watts and amps, just like knowing roughly the watts and resistance allows me to calculate volts, i was hoping i could do it without a calculator though...

6. Encoume

Encoume New Member

lol, on the ipad and finding symbols like * and ^ means going 2 more keyboards deeper.
    P = e^2/R hows that (thanks jonny for pointing out the deliberate mistake to see who was awake)

you can't measure ohms while firing gaz, the meter is supplying a constant current usually and then measuring the voltage to get the oms. You throwing 4v pulsed at it will freak it out.
    Its not going to damage a digital multimeter, don't try it with an analog meter though or the needle can get wrapped around the end stop, seen it happen on avo's. (kick arse analogs used by old defence departments)
    power .. measure ohms, switch to volts, power on .. both readings will be fine.

7. theoria

theoria New Member

oh, good luck to you!

8. lemon

lemon New Member

How about P=V*V/R or e^2/R

9. Zetreank

Zetreank New Member

lol, yeh thats a better way of doing it..
    stupid 1 ohm resistors work either way.
    i will have to edit them later, dunno what i was thinking. it even crossed my mind it was wrong..

10. abnoncade

abnoncade New Member

we all have those moments :)

11. Josh M

Josh M New Member

i had to fix em .. how embarrasing :)