Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Kanthal Vs NiChrome

Discussion in 'Vape Modding and Technical' started by dan 1, Dec 3, 2015.

1. dan 1

dan 1 New Member

Hi guys, this is probably a broad question, but what's the difference between using NiChrome & Kanthal? I used some 0.16mm NiChrome with 2.5mm silica wick to rebuild a Vivi Nova head last night & it seems to work great. Would Kanthal work the same? Whats the difference?

2. ravineel

ravineel New Member

Both work equally well IMO but I don't like the taste of nichrome when getting dry hits, to me it seems much harsher. Also nichrome once it has been heated seems to be more brittle & expands more than Kanthal, that expansion can .comse issues with wicking & hotspots on gennies.

3. Arod

Arod New Member

4. daotien

daotien New Member

Nichrome works better with Silica wick, Kanthal works better with Mesh wick... For me :)

5. xwgngtn0a

xwgngtn0a New Member

What about when using silica? I've read so many different opinions this morning (from all over) and one thing I read, not sure if it's true or not, is that the expansion you mentioned works well with silica be.comse of its expansion when wet.

6. asxzone

asxzone New Member

I don't like the expansion but especially I don't like the brittleness, since I mostly do not use silica & rebuild my wicks with cotton, I find that using Kanthal is the better choice due to it not breaking as easily when replacing wicks.
    The only way you are going to know for sure, what you prefer is to try both & see which you like better, everyone seems to have different preferences for resistance wires.

7. ss3ijvdwjc

ss3ijvdwjc New Member

Thanks Noe. I think I'll try both. I'm kinda liking this rebuilding thing. I jumped up & down like an idiot when my first new wick & coil actually worked. My husband just looked at me like I was a loon.

8. BindTymnveimi

BindTymnveimi New Member

LoL after that reaction I bet next you'll want to try a genny, I suggest the AGA-T, it isn't quite as pretty as the AGA-W but I think it is a better design in comparison, which makes it the better of the 2 IMO. Either are good though & cheap.

The only problem with the AGA-T (& W) most find is the airhole is not large enough & needs to be bored out, either using a 1.2mm drill bit or like I & others have done by using pointed jewelers files, which are around $15 from bunnings for a set of 10 files. If you get the files, make sure you get a set that has pointy ends, the pointier the better, some of the sets(same brand & same set) have more blunted ends on the files & won't work for our purpose. 1/2hr of twisting back & forth in the hole will get it to about the right size, you don't want to file in & out of the hole, just put the file in & twist with your wrist.

VM has them but has renamed them, these are an AGA-T though: VM Zombie | Electronic Cigarettes - VapingMadElectronic Cigarettes – VapingMad
    They also have Kanthal & #400 mesh, which would get you started but both can be bought cheaper elsewhere : Kanthal Resistance Wire | Electronic Cigarettes - VapingMadElectronic Cigarettes – VapingMad
    Stainless Steel Mesh 400 | Electronic Cigarettes - VapingMadElectronic Cigarettes – VapingMad

Here's the link to my method of building a wick & coil for the AGA-T, every time I have built a coil & wick this way it has worked 1st time without hotspots or other problems, it's a bit of a read but read it carefully so that you understand it & don't miss any info in it: http://forums.canukvapers.com/moddi...d-building-wick-coil-aga-t-gennesis-atty.html