Welcome to Vape.to ! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Vape.to community.

Flavour concentrate max.

Discussion in 'Vape DIY Juice / Recipes / Mixing' started by teena, Jan 30, 2016.

1. teena

teena New Member

G'day guys and gals, I've been on a few websites searching for flavour concentrate %'s for mixing and some sites say use 6-10 % max. while another said 10-15% max. Is there a maximum amount that you shouldn't exceed. Any input would be appreciated....

2. geofot55

geofot55 New Member

its all depend how concentrated the eliquid is..

Follow the vendor recommendation.

Test with 5ml first and adjust it for your liking

3. Lisa V

Lisa V New Member

Hi Jafo what brand concentrates are you using?

4. hpk16

hpk16 New Member

The vendor recommends 6-10%.

I get my liquids from e-cig.com, its their own brand.

5. wknluox04o

wknluox04o New Member

Start at 6 or 7% then and go from there. All concentrates are different and have different strengths. Sometimes it even depends on
    the flavor types too. As mentioned above, its best to follow the vendor recommendations. Start low and add more if required (if you
    are finding its too weak after steeping).

6. calechna

calechna New Member

Thanx Tara, I normally buy premixed from them with the flavour (Cohiba cigar) at extra strength.....i decide to try mixing myself, so i bought the liquids from them and mixed it the same way:50PG/50VG-6mg base and 8% flavour and was too weak so i tried again at 12% and the flavour is nowhere near as strong as the premixed they supply. how high can you go with flavour before it starts effecting the way it vapes?

7. MacKniven

MacKniven New Member

Are you giving it time to steep or trying it as soon as you mix it?

Tobacco flavors in particular sometimes take a while longer to steep too. If you are just trying it as soon as you make it there is
    a good chance it will end up being too strong once its steeped. Give it a couple of weeks (minimum) then try it.

With regard to how much flavor you can add.....I'm no expert on mixing but personally I would just keep adding till it tastes good.
    Ive never really been good with sticking to or caring about limits so that question may be best answered by someone else :D

8. salien84

salien84 New Member

Steeping bro , makes a marked difference it takes a while but you dont really get a picture of what it will taste like without it , a cheap milk frother helps blend it too.
    Prob is that there seems to be a line where a concentrate will go from stronger flavour to moldy gym socks , I have tripped over that one a few times . I have found with new flavours an option is to mix a variety of strengths in small amounts then let them step finding which one you prefer , like adding too much salt , more aint always better And thus way theres a good chance of bringing the other mixes youve made up to spec Good luck with the mixin !

9. kittyluvrs18

kittyluvrs18 New Member

Practice makes perfects, i guess. might have to buy some more premix til i get this mixing sorted out.....

Cheers for the advice guys :)

10. cdtyrysxjw

cdtyrysxjw New Member

What is the rec % of a mix when you have more than one concentrate? :nevreness:

I have been mixing single flavours to get the gist of how the concentrates taste on their own but am not quite sure what the % of concentrate I should be using for a recipe (I'm feeling adventurous lol) for example - in a recipe should the concentrate = 15% of the whole mix ?

Thanks for any help you can give me :joyous:

11. Enigma1299

Enigma1299 New Member

It seems the common wisdom with normal concentrates is the total concentrates come to about 20% of the total juice mix. I buy a lot of the super concentrates from the juice factory & they only recommend adding 3% whereas the perfumers apprentice concentrates are about 10%-15% or more. These percentages are for the main base as others are added at a lot lower ratio. Like 10% Custard, 5% Vanilla, 3% cream, 2% EM total = 20% flavorings.

12. alcorycle

alcorycle New Member

Thanks so much for your response Rodbam :smile: I am in the same boat, have quite a collection of some of the Juice Factory super conc and all the other usual suspects, capella, tpa/tfa, flavour west and so I thought I would get adventurous and try mixing up a few combinations.

There have been quite a few different recipes mentioned on AVF that I might try out, just to get the hang of how the individual flavours blend with each other and take it from there, but at least now I have a bit of a ballpark if I am feeling brave lol

Thanks again for your response, its a great help.

13. Heesiades

Heesiades New Member

With super concentrates, the usual would be about 2%. If it tastes "watery" (like cordial which is too diluted), then add more, if it tastes cloying and perfumey or chemicalish, then dilute some more.

If it tastes like crap, put it in the back of the drawer with a label on it, and give it a month, then try it again. If it still tastes like crap, you're wasting your time with it. Time to dispose of it responsibly.

Don't forget to label everything with as much detail as you can. Date, %age and name of flavouring, and mg/mL of nicotine. Especially when you're starting out, these things can change rather rapidly, and a dozen bottles of liquid in the back of the drawer can lead to tears, especially if you find something is completely divine and you have no idea what it is. I didn't do that... I read it in a book once.. ahuh.

14. MASKASHOW

MASKASHOW New Member

I've got a feeling their recommendation is 15 to 20%.. If its the brand I'm thinking of, I used to make their gold and silver. Does that ring a bell. Is it the dude that's based in warrawong with a canada website too?

Somehow posted in the wrong thread sorry....carry on.

15. Pandora Tomorrow

Pandora Tomorrow New Member

I seem to have become the sticky label queen lol Thanks for adding some more info to point me in the right direction...I guess some people get get the shiny-itis, I seem to have become a mad scientist of sorts complete with amber glass bottles with hand written labels, "recipe" book complete with pg strains and a cupboard that is full of concoctions all placed in order of the date they were made rofpmsl :redface:

I thought I was being over zealous with all the info I was cramming onto my labels (all with a number which corresponds to details in my recipe book lol...I feel like such a juice making nerd)... but thanks Mrs Gruffy for the reassurance that it is a good process. Really appreciate both yours and Robram's responses x

16. takunvidremari

takunvidremari New Member

You're welcome, sj_funk78! There are only a few things that I enjoy more than helping people on their journey to get off the smokes. That's what this is all about. All of the others begin and end with my MrGruffy :)

17. jack22

jack22 New Member

Thank everyone for awesome questions and awesome answers, you didn't know it but you just answered my questions!

18. jade scarlette :)

jade scarlette :) New Member

I use half of the recommend highest percentage as a starting point. Quite often the lowest recommended percentage is far too strong once the juice has steeped, for me anyhow.

19. vmqcxsojef

vmqcxsojef New Member

Taste is subjective they say but IMHO.. (and yes, I am quite possibly wrong)
    Keep percentages as low as possible and focus more on the steeping.
    The longer the steep, the lower the percentage.
    Also, mix in terms of layers, not just a drop of this and that.

Always steep with caps off and or consider using a small paint shaker (or a computer fan on a pad) or Ultrasonic cleaner.

Stay away from super concentrates and try Capella or Nature's Flavor. (Used by many premium e juice co)

Just my 2 cents worth but works for me.

20. missvape

missvape Active Member

Device:
    Pen Type
    Juice:
    Milk Man
    I always start at five percent and just add more when it's not enough. For me, it's better to start lower and add some more, than have that chemical taste. But as always, follow the vendor and manufacturer instructions. Each brand has its own instructions and directions for use. You would also take into account that there is still personal preferences. My taste might differ from your taste and with other people as well. What tastes bland to me might taste okay for you. Others need a stronger concentration to taste the flavour.